The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Who first performed the "knee adjustment" subtlety for the vanishing dovecage? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jeff Kellogg
View Profile
New user
Boston
52 Posts

Profile of Jeff Kellogg
Just wondering who first performed/had this idea. Also, I'm wondering if it's game to add to my act, or not. Thanks So much,
Jeff
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
513 Posts

Profile of damien666
I know that I have seen a bunch of people do it - it may have been James Cielen that was the first. But who knows for sure?
DaveWomach
View Profile
Elite user
Dave Womach
453 Posts

Profile of DaveWomach
I came up with this idea when I was about 15. However, I cannot claim it to be my idea, as I have seen several people do it since I've put it in. I'm sure it's been around longer than me.

My thoughts are to say that it's fair game to use. Might wait until you hear some feadback from other people though.

Hope this helps!

Dave
dove-boy
View Profile
Special user
Joe Yu (Stage Name)
545 Posts

Profile of dove-boy
Hi Jeff Smile

Do you mean using the leg to 'kick' the dove table away or....?

Just curious what is the meaning, Knee adjustment Smile

Thanks
JY
Chris Toomey
View Profile
New user
Rhode Island
56 Posts

Profile of Chris Toomey
Hey Jeff. I assume you are referring to the subtlety some performers use after the cage is gone, but the audience still believes it is under the cloth. A quality Boston area magician named David Oliver uses it, and it would seem that others such as Dave Womach do as well. If it seems to be used by a number of performers, then I would imagine that it is in the public domain, but who knows for sure. I would suggest also considering different subtelties you could imply to feign weight. Good luck man. Catch ya later.

Chris Toomey
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Jeff,

If what Chris is describing is what you are talking about, it dates back prior to 1963. (Because I stole it from someone else who did not own it either!)

Therefore, I would say the move came from Europe prior to the 50s and maybe even the 20s! I expect it came from street circuses in Europe.

I wasn't even born until 1945, so I'm sure it predates me. By the 50's there were plenty of European magicians vanishing doves in large square cages. For some crazy reason many people don't believe a trick exists until they see it in some form or recording (movies, tapes, DVDs). As a former booking agent, I can promise you that many of the very top acts are never recorded (by their request). It helps keep their act, Their Act!

It is a good move. I quit using it because I have an old rodeo cowboy knee! Instead I act like I almost dropped it about four steps out. (That’s when Lucy throws a silk over the stand just in case things are not exactly flat.) I use it as much for “insurance” as anything else. It also makes a too short effect a little longer. With a live drummer it helps the show.

I think you are safe "changing your grip" on a prop anytime. To sue for that would take a true optimist. Think how many rodeo bull riders would get sued for copying the first one that ever got thrown?

Enjoy your magic!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Jeff Kellogg
View Profile
New user
Boston
52 Posts

Profile of Jeff Kellogg
Hey toomey, how are ya? Classsy picture. Thanks for the input from all, I'd like to hear more if there's anyone out there who knows anything on the subject. I'm thinking of useing this subtlty. I've gotten coments leaning towards it being OK to use. Does anyone have any reasons why I should not use this move?
-Jeff
Amyxdove
View Profile
Regular user
Andy Amyx
143 Posts

Profile of Amyxdove
I have an old film of Channing doing that move. I hope all is well

Andy Amyx
Andy Amyx

www.andyamyx.com
Cielen
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas
8 Posts

Profile of Cielen
Kicking the table into the wings as you walk forward with cage form under the cloth, is my move.

However, using your knee to apparently support the cage under the cloth as you walk forward has been around forever. I don't know who created it.
dove-boy
View Profile
Special user
Joe Yu (Stage Name)
545 Posts

Profile of dove-boy
Hi James Cielen Smile

Great to see you in this forum....hope you can remember me..about 5-6 years back where I e-mail you advice for sleeve size & the birds on cruise(air conditioning)..thanks for the prompt reply Smile

Yup, Cliff Wigg also credit you for the Kicking the table moves Smile

Just a question: I saw your full bird act & enjoyed it very much....the colour changing bird really fools me Smile....just curious is your cage from Cliff/Owen OR Nielsen ..for some reason...it seem to me the base is rather thin Smile

Warmest Regards
dove-boy Smile
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1850 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
I can remember watching Siegfried do the knee adjustment. Apparently this is a fairly standard move, and one that seems to work!
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
Okito probably did it with a water bowl or a duck cage.
POOF!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Who first performed the "knee adjustment" subtlety for the vanishing dovecage? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL