The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Buying 13 steps, what props needed? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

C.Jakobsson
View Profile
Regular user
Sweden
118 Posts

Profile of C.Jakobsson
Hi!
I'm ordering 13 steps soon, but I wonder if there are any props needed for the effects in the book? I don't want to recieve a book with material that I can't perform, so what do I need to be able to do most effects?

thanks
Juan D
View Profile
Elite user
482 Posts

Profile of Juan D
One suggestion : Read It and understand it first, and then see what you need for the effects (which won't be much)
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Yeah, most mentalism techniques involve little more than paper and pencil! But read it and pick and choose what you want to learn. There is a wealth of information in that book. don't let the smoking jackets and slicked back hair get you down, its a timeless piece!! I am more than joyful that I leanred from this book early on...I predict you will too...
gerard1973
View Profile
Special user
Michigan, U.S.A.
688 Posts

Profile of gerard1973
Delmondo,

The majority of mentalists will tell you that you need NOTHING but here are MY suggestions. In addition to the Thirteen Steps to Mentalism by Tony Corinda, I would suggest that you purchase Practical Mental Magic by Theo Annemann. It is an inexpensive book that will go along with the Thirteen Steps to Mentalism.

Read the books first. All you really need to start off with is something to write with like pencils, ink pens or a Sharpie and something to make billets out of like paper, 3 x 5" cards or Post-it notes.

You DO NOT have to buy anything to learn the techniques in both books but here are some other props that both books use that you can buy later if you WANT to:

Dice
Playing Cards (I suggest Bicycle playing cards)
Mail Envelopes (I would use the security type), coin or pill (yellow) envelopes 1.5 x 4.25" (Large enough to hold poker sized playing cards without folding), Large Clasp Envelopes 11.5" x 13" (Large enough to hold a standard 8.5" x 11" sheet of paper without folding)
Thumb Tips
Paper Clips
Rubber Bands
Blindfolds
Crystal ball -80mm (3.5")
Two spirit slates
Swami Writers (You have to choose between nail writers, boon swami writers and thumb tip swami writers)
ESP Cards
Books for the Book Test
Clipboard
Forcing Bag
A Pendant
A Billet Index or a Card Index (You can make this yourself or buy one from Daytona Magic)

LATER you MIGHT want to buy a set of Tarot Cards if you want for some of the other mentalist effects that are contained in other mentalist books. If you have most of the above you will have just about EVERY prop that you will ever need for mentalism.

Gerard
"Confusion is not magic."
Dai Vernon
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Buying 13 steps, what props needed? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL