The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Skeptics and magicians » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Aristides
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Aristides
This was being discussed elsewhere but I thought deserved its own post.

Magic has a long history of skeptics; from Houdini's attack on the clairvoyant to James Randi's exposes on faith healers. I think this is entirely honorable, and without this work magic would have many more of the Uri Gellers proclaiming they actually possess true magic powers. I am also aware that many people probably have been helped by psychics, NLP, and hypnotism and that most practitioners are using their art with the best intentions.

However I believe that caution is needed when practicing these modalities outside the magicians arena. If a well-done objective study comes out showing that people who have experience NLP do better than people who haven't then I will be happy to recommend it. If not, I'm going to be skeptical, especially if it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I am the first to admit I am not being open-minded but I look at this as an asset that has protected me from the phrenologists, iridologists, faith healers, and laetrile prescribers of the world.

People often don't realize how much faith is given to those who say they have special powers, especially when they are in an emotionally fragile state--a classic case being Nancy Reagan's seeking psychic advice (and carrying a gun) after her husband was shot. If you're going to be given so much power to influence someone's life then you had better be sure that what you practice is beyond reproach.
ESP Guy
View Profile
Regular user
Falls View, Vermont
137 Posts

Profile of ESP Guy
I personally think skeptics perform a major service (rooting out folks like Peter Popoff and questionable folks like Sylvia Brown, John Edward, James Van Praagh, etc). They should, however, leave legitimate entertainers alone. Case in point: Randi exposing the NW on the view to "expose" a talented mentalist.

Dave
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
This topic has been discussed numerous times elsewhere in this forum. Both sides of the issue have been clearly given, again, numerous times. Read through this forum and you will get a fair view of the opposing opinions.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Skeptics and magicians » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL