The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What should I do??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

joker 55
View Profile
Special user
England.
711 Posts

Profile of joker 55
Hi, today I was in school, and we were playing poker, when, some kid showed one of these crappy tricks that you learn of "uncle charlie",
anyway, I had no idea what trick to do, I didn't have much time so could anyone give me some help,
it will have to be good to impress them,
j55
Pekka
View Profile
Special user
Finland
560 Posts

Profile of Pekka
Since you were playing poker you could've done any gambling trick. Find the aces etc.

But, challenging someone may not be the best course of action. In fact, it is not. We do this to entertain people or to show people there are somethings that truly are supernatural, mystical etc. But bottom line is, we should not be doing this if we just want to show off or feel superior over other people. It took some guts from that kid to perform in the first place, why not let him enjoy the moment. If you would have shown another trick, after his, there is a strong possibility the trick, yours, would have rendered into a puzzle. Since we are all sure the kid would have told how he did his trick the audience would have assosiated your trick with a similar simple solution.

Another problem is the obvious dilemma you pointed out. To beat those "crappy tricks" you need some good ones to impress your friends. Most of those crappy tricks aren't so crappy you see? They are in deed rather good. So why try to beat them? Just focus your own magic.

All in all, I must admit, I am a bit confused. You are here slagging off some kid who does crappy magic and, so that you can beat him, you need our help to find you good enough tricks. Sounds strange. Why don't you ask that kid? He will teach you, you will teach him and together you will become good magicians. That is how we all start in this, by learning some easy tricks from our friends or relatives and eventually progressing on to more demanding material and a deeper understandig what magic truly is (a lifelong quest, by the way).
Amir
View Profile
Loyal user
New York.
296 Posts

Profile of Amir
Here then there, Be Honest, What is it? (2 Card Monte), ACR, 3 card monte, etc.
Kentrell
View Profile
New user
Cleveland, OH
72 Posts

Profile of Kentrell
What card tricks do you already know???

K
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
There's nothing at all wrong with someone who doesn't claim to be a serious magician doing an "Uncle Charlie" trick. Watch it patiently and try to enjoy it. No law says that only a hardcore magician can do a card trick. Let him have his moment without trying to "outdo" him, as that will only make you seem like a jerk. Later, in private, mention that you do a little card amgic and see if he is interested in progressing in magic or if he just likes to do a trick or two now and then. Maybe you will forge a lifelong friendship by doing so!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
ryay
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of ryay
Do a triumph routine, being that they are playing poker, its nice if you do a trick that revolves around a shuffle, as that is something they can relate to. I would recomend a zaro triumph or heinstein triumph, because if you do any strip out mover or the like, they might get suspicious, as they are poker players.
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
Why do you feel like you HAVE to do something?

First off if these are guys that you LIKE to play poker with, I wouldn't recommend doing anything. If you do a trick, regardless of if you impress them or not, they will probably accuse you of cheating at poker at some point.

There is really no reason for you to try to impress them, other than for your own ego gratification. Have you done tricks for them before? It sounds like you possibly have not. So why do you feel the urge to do them, just because some guy did a crappy trick for them? Why did you not perform for them before this guy showed up?

Let it slide. Find another audience, and continue playing poker with your friends.
tjo'
joker 55
View Profile
Special user
England.
711 Posts

Profile of joker 55
Well I don'y feel I have to impress them, but I know that some of them like magic, (they don't do it though)I would just like to show them some tricks,

I was playing poker with some mates, when this kid (the one who did the trick) and his mate, snatched the dec of us and then was taking the p*ss out of us, (me) by showing crappy tricks, (imitating me), cause they have heard about some of the tricks I have done before, and I just wanted to show them something good,
Oh and this kid ISN't serious about magic, he was just taking the total p*ss,
I have just got pyrotechnic paste boards, which trick do you think is the best for this type of scenario?

j55
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1230 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
In that kind of situation, I wouldnt do anything. By you giving into this means he has won. He is trying to get under your skin. Think about it. If you do go ahead and do an effect, he is going to burn your hands every step of the way, just so he can bust you on it in front of every one. Just my 2 cents.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Based on four first post I thought Pekka's was an excellent response.

When you said:
"was taking the p*ss out of us, (me) by showing crappy tricks, (imitating me), cause they have heard about some of the tricks I have done before, and I just wanted to show them something good."

If people had seen you do magic before them his crappy tricks would have meant nothing, and he will have come across as a jerk. Unless it was a good imitation, in which case that meant you were performing tricks crappily!

Corey is correct, do nothing in front of this guy. This is nothing to do with magic, it is about one upmanship. Don't get sucked into this guy's game and don't let him get under your skin. Just concentrate on doing your own magic well. Which means plenty of practice before showing to others.

Paul.
joker 55
View Profile
Special user
England.
711 Posts

Profile of joker 55
Thanks,
the tricks that I did, was: jacob daleys last trick,
ambitious card,
a revalation with a red black card separation,
card switch, with a watch steal,
j55
Charlie Justice
View Profile
Inner circle
Mount Dora, Florida
1142 Posts

Profile of Charlie Justice
Next time, what if you politely watch the "uncle charlie trick" and then duplicate it with a kicker, while all along pretending to simply do what you saw and acting as if you have no idea what's happening or how to do it?
Take the 21 card trick (3 rows of 7) for example. Watch politely and even applaude if you will. Then pick up the cards, acting amazed, and duplicate his actions and patter. Knowing his selection before you start to lay down the cards (glimpse, force, control, whatever), you then 'screw up' the gathering and laying down, thus lulling him into a sense that you have no idea what's going on. The revelation should hit an "uncle charlie trickster" even harder between the eyes since he's following along under the assumption that HE'S the expert.

And why are you playing cards at achool? Get back to class! (lol)
Mustang
View Profile
Veteran user
London, England
316 Posts

Profile of Mustang
What you doin playin poker at school?! Smile
"A magician is one who appreciates the difference between knowing how a trick is done, and knowing how to do a trick."
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Quote:
On 2005-05-11 15:14, joker 55 wrote:
Thanks,
the tricks that I did, was: jacob daleys last trick,
ambitious card,
a revalation with a red black card separation,
card switch, with a watch steal,
j55

First of all, what?

I don't understand this situation. someone who knows your a magician was trying to show you something so instead of offering a suggestion or two you did every good trick you know?

am I missunderstanding something?

If he came out and said "magics not hard, look at this" I would have said "wow, good job. I really liked that" with as much sincerity as I could muster.

if everyone knows your good (and the tricks you listed are killer, so if youve shown them even 1 or 2 of those before then they know) you have nothing to prove.

Im sure that lenox lewis gets people teling him all the time that they could kick his butt. so what? he has nothing left to prove.

saying that...
an interesting kicker for the 21 card trick can be found in milt korts book, "Kort".
Its an amazing book that everyone should own.
seriusly.
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
joker 55
View Profile
Special user
England.
711 Posts

Profile of joker 55
No those tricks are the ones I did weeks ago, the ones everyone heard about,
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Oh.

well then, who cares.

he cant "beat" you.

be a bigger man, and don't veiw him as a threat.

unless he has a weapon. like a white knife.
oops, a black knife.
wait, its a white knife!
I'm so confused.
and tired!
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2494 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
Scott just gave you the best piece of advice you can get!!

Alan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What should I do??? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL