The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » IBM Con registration nightmare! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
I really hate to do this, but I've gotta complain about the registration process for the IBM convention. It has taken me 3 weeks to register for this thing!
What's the problem?
Well, since I do not have a secure connection I cannot register online (unless I wanna risk security), so I had to do it over the phone. Problem is, the number published for Roger Wicks is to a number with no answer. Not a machine, no answer period. Oh there was a machine the first time I tried but it cut me off before I could complete the message. Then I called back and got no answer. No answer for three weeks via phone. So I called IBM headquarters and they could only suggest downloading the reg form from the website and fax it to Mr. Wicks. I downloaded it, printed it out, filled it out, and tried to fax it - THE SAME NUMBER WITH NO ANSWER! UGH!
Finally, I went to a friend's house with a secure connection and did it online.
But now the next phase begins. I requested to be entered in the competitions and asked for the info. I got an e-mail from Roger Wicks today instructing me to go to the website and "dig around for the info and forms." What?!?! Are you friggin' kiddin' me?
IBM - what is going on here? All I want to do is register for the convention and enter the contests. Why is this such an ordeal? Has anyone else had these problems? And if someone from the IBM is reading this, please feel free to pass along my complaints. It should not be such a task to go to the con!

There. I feel better now...
We'll catch ya on the Back of the Cereal Box!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1223 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
I can only speak on my personal experience....I am only able to make it to a couple days of the convention...I wanted to make sure that I would be able to arrange to do the Underground Experience on the day I was there. I called Roger Wicks and got his voice mail no problem. I left a message and probably not even a half hour went by before he called back and answered all my questions.

Not saying the problem didn't exist...but my experience was cool........
Bill Wells
View Profile
Elite user
Lexington, VA
457 Posts

Profile of Bill Wells
Big Daddy Cool -

I have forwarded your message to the chairman of the IBM Annual Convention Committee. I am sure you will receive some sort of response shortly. Don't give up...I am sure no body intends to make it so difficult for you to attend.

Bill
MikeD
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of MikeD
Hey Big Daddy,

The contest registration process starts here:

http://www.magician.org/convention2005_contest.htm

Depending on which contest, select the appropriate links. If you have any problems with the registration process, drop me a line at miked@magician.ord

MikeD
Head Judge Reno 2005
Steve Hart
View Profile
Veteran user
Cocoa, FL
388 Posts

Profile of Steve Hart
Here Is the response from the I.B.M. Convention Chairman, Mel Kientz:

I regret any inconvenience that Big Daddy Cool has experienced in trying to register for the upcoming IBM Convention in Reno. I am afraid that his difficulties are the product of our electronic age. In an effort to pioneer on-line information exchange, we put in a supercomputer that is connected to a T1-line. So here we are inventing for the future and a simple power failure fried the answering machine used by our Registrar, Roger Wicks, on the one week that he needed to take some time off.

So here is a simple solution... my cell phone is attached to my hip (we have replaced our six-shooters with this device out here in Arizona even though it has been proven to be quite ineffective when it come to rattle snakes... a ring tone that says "shooo snake" needs quite a lot of work). Any registrant or possible registrant can give us a call. That goes for all of my volunteer staff members that puts this convention together year after year. The point here is that we work for the registrants and it is our job to make the Greatest Annual Magic Convention on Earth a positive memorable experience ... so Big Daddy Kool give me a call. By the way, The Voice/Fax number has been repaired and can receive your individual request This is probably the best way. Finally, have you seen the line-up of talent for this event? I can't believe we only charge $145.00 for IBM Members! Just look:

Stan Allen

Les Arnold and Dazzle

Gay Blackstone

Rich Bloch

Carl Ballantine

Mike Caveney

Michael Close

Aldo Colombini

Steve Dacri

Dana Daniels

David Ginn

Lee and Helene Grabel

Paul Green

Cyril Harvey (France)

Mark Kalin and Jinger (Magic Underground)

Jorgos Katsaros (Germany)

Tina Lenert

The Mums

Johnny Lonn (Sweden)

Hank Morehouse

Marvyn Roy and Carol

Steve Walker (Australia)

Frank Zak

Milt Larsen

Fukai & Kimika

Valerie Mageux (Switzerland)

Rick Merrill

Nathan Gibson

The Pendragons

Simon Lovell

Juliana Chen

and a couple of surprises that I can't put into print......

See you on Reno!

----------------------o0o--------------------------
Mel Kientz, Convention Chairman
Greatest Annual Magic Convention on Earth
Reno/Tahoe June 28 - July 2, 2005
2020 W Yucca Drive
Wickenburg, AZ 85390
(928) 231-3848 (Cell Phone)
napamagic@aol.com
www.SteveHartSpeaks.com
www.magic2motivate.com
"Motivational Magicians are some of the highest paid magicians, find out why?"
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
Steve,
Finally got it worked out last week. Found a friend with a secure cable connection and did it on his computer on line.

Thanks!
We'll catch ya on the Back of the Cereal Box!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » IBM Con registration nightmare! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL