The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » MisMade Flags (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Canadian Guy
View Profile
Regular user
California
149 Posts

Profile of Canadian Guy
I was wondering if anyone knows of a Canadian MisMade flag and where I can get it, as well as the Union Jack as a mismade flag

thanx
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1605 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
Quote:
On 2005-05-13 13:56, Canadian Guy wrote:
I was wondering if anyone knows of a Canadian MisMade flag and where I can get it, as well as the Union Jack as a mismade flag
thanx

I've looked around but have been unable to find one.

A Union Jack? Do we have a Newfie in our midst? Smile

Brian
wacky wizard
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of wacky wizard
Practical Magic in the UK Do a Mis Made Union Jack
and Terry Herbert has a routine for it on his VHS/DVD

Hope That Helps

Wacky
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
I found that most Mismade flags look weak and colorless.

I took some Red Whit and Blue silks to my tailor and had him hem a R/W/B set together (6 alternating) and a set of the R/W (6 alternating) and had some Blue also hemed for the dropped ones.

In a children’s shown, I think it works better because I can do a “what color is this” patter that is easier to understand for small children.

Bob
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
What do you want made up in the mismade Canadian Flag set? I am thinking about getting some stuff done but there has been little interest to this point.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Jailhouse Jonny
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of Jailhouse Jonny
I was forwarded this by Darryl the Wizzard. Haven't had a chance to call them to confirm if they have them in stock.

In the meantime I make up my own with a piece of white felt and magic markers for the mis-made part. It's not supposed to look right anyway

"Try the Perfect Magic store in Montreal and they might be able to help you find the miss-made Canadian flag.
Darryl the Wizard"
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
The problem I have faced is the one Richard has mentioned. The interest just isn't in sufficient volume to justify the work. I am a silk importer. An item that can't sell three hundred units in ninty days is just not a good economic choice. Runs of less than 300 pieces are just too expensive to try. I wish the demand were more substantial. I'm always seeking opportunities.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Why would you have to have it done up in SILK? Why do you have to stick to the traditional method?

I found a (caution: poor description ahead!) transforming bag made as an American flag, and worked backwards from there. Y'all could help me get the right name for the prop - double layers of fabric, flag on one side and solid color on the other, sewn together with pockets so that you fold it up, turn it inside out and you have a bag - shake it by the tucked-in corners and it unfolds to show the flag side (simultaneously hidig whatever you stuck into the pocket while it was folded up).

Anyway, the idea came quickly - found some patches of the right fabric by sheer luck and had the wife sew one small COTTON flag with blue stripes and a field of red fabric that had white stars (just sewn on the blue-stripe fabric), and another with red stripes going the wrong way (vertical) and a solid-blue field (see, it doesn't have to be an exact "reverse" of the flag). Just ball one up in my pocket and swiftly "pull it out of one volunteer's ear" (not even really a sleight, just a fast move; nobody's watching closely enough to catch it) - "An American flag!" (they all shout "no, it's wrong!" and there's room for plenty of goofy byplay trying to understand what they say is wrong about it - do it all a second time with the other wrong flag - then have each volunteer put his mismade small flag into the bag, everyone says the magic words and the bag unfurls into a large correct flag, vanishing the small ones.

A decent needlework talent could make up a set in an hour, American, Canadian or anywhere else's.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Hi there Canadian Guy -

I made up a custom set of the mismade Canadian flag about 8-10 years ago, and use them in my show. I had a local silk craftsperson make mine, based on my artwork and suggestions. I can't tell if it is 8 or 10 momme. Feels pretty thick.

Actually, I made 3 sets, one for me, and two to give away to friends. One to Shawn Farquhar (Vancouver area), and one to Randy Burtis (Winnipeg area, formerly Calgary area). I am not sure if they are actually using them in their shows, or put them in a drawer, or sold them at an auction (I hope not the last one! Smile ). They may have forgotten that the item came from me, as it was a few years ago now.

I said a few months ago, that I would send Richard Hughes some information about what I did for my set (how I made it "mismade", patter, routine), but I haven't got around to it yet. But rest assured, I do have some fun with it, and I do use my set in my show now and then.

I'm not too sure whether I want to reveal on a public forum what I actually did with mine, but I would encourage you to go and get your own set made (with whatever idea you have), and have fun with it.

- Donald

P.S. I claim no originality in the idea of a mismade Canadian flag (just adapted the idea from the gospel one I had, which in turn was apapted from the U.S. flag sets), its just that I actually made a set for personal use, when I couldn't find one commercially available. Then I developed an appropriate patter, to fit the props.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Go to Kiddabra.com and email Tim Sonefeld. He offers custom silk printing at an amazing price.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
About ten years ago I was fortunate to have Mark Trimble produce customized sets of both Canadian Mismade Flags and Quebec Mismade Flags.

Still have them. Have yet to use them... but one never knows when they will come in handy!

All the best.

Jonathan
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » MisMade Flags (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL