The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What do you think shows an unprofessional attitude in mentalism? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Hypnotic Winter
View Profile
Special user
Ireland
720 Posts

Profile of Hypnotic Winter
What would you say and think show's an unprofessional and even extremne ego amature attude in mentalism or magic?

To me I often think that magicians or mentalists saying, " I know how that is done" and then proceeding to make an atrempt at showing how smart they are by revealing how they think it was done.
I note that professional never ever do this.

I also would consider professionals always remain polite no matter how difficult the debate, a good demonstration of this was reciently between Truthteller, Banachek and James Biss.

What do you guys think show's an unprofessional?

H.W
When your only reality is an illusion, then illusion is reality.
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
Losing your temper and getting personal, when that happens, it means the person has run out of logical reasoning and starts with the crap and starts getting personal.

~Rick~
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
How about making random jokes on an internet forum?
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
Scott...jokes on an internet forum are called..."relief humour". By the way, I think your mom is calling you...(see ? relief humour)

~Rick~
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Saw a Tonight Show guest mentioning that he does private parties, during his set, when no one else brought up the subject. Even Johnny Carson gave him a look like he was a gimp.

The same guy did a second sight act, with his girlfriend, at a convention. She had no stage presence at all - too giggly. He should have known better than to sell that act.
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Quote:
On 2005-05-15 02:04, Scott Xavier wrote:
How about making random jokes on an internet forum?

No. Some people like to interact with a bit of humour now and again to relieve the seriousness of some of the discussions, as Rick said, 'relief humour'.

Although a different medium, internet forums are not much different to sitting down the pub (bar) having a chat with your mates (friends). If you are surrounded by miserable and serious people it doesn't make it much fun does it? I think humour adds to discussion in many cases, agreed that in some it takes it away though.

My views on unprofessionalism are, the attitude of some people needing to belittle another persons performance, and, the need to jump in and promote a product on a thread that is discussing another (I am talking about the originator of the product, not anyone else - as that is a natural conversation tangent).

I also agree that spelling and grammar do not the man maketh. There are too many reasons as to why a person might not have literary skills that would not impact on performance or profesionalism.
christopher carter
View Profile
Special user
660 Posts

Profile of christopher carter
Quote:
On 2005-05-15 02:03, RickSilmser wrote:
Losing your temper and getting personal, when that happens, it means the person has run out of logical reasoning and starts with the crap and starts getting personal.

~Rick~

Ooh, Irony! I love irony! Well done, Rick!

--Chris
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Quote:
On 2005-05-15 07:53, christopher carter wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-05-15 02:03, RickSilmser wrote:

~Rick~

Ooh, Irony! I love irony! Well done, Rick!

--Chris

See, humour works a treat!

I love it!
Pasq
View Profile
Elite user
Lance Rench-Hausen.
417 Posts

Profile of Pasq
I have to come down on the side of Mr Xavier.

There is no place for humour in an internet forum. It creates disagreements, divides peoples, nations, and is ultimately destructive. In fact, if we could eliminate humour from the world altogether then we'd all get a lot more work done.

The sooner we erradicate humour from this forum the happier we'll all be. And I can't believe no-one else has supported his point.
Sparrow in a barrow.
Hypnotic Winter
View Profile
Special user
Ireland
720 Posts

Profile of Hypnotic Winter
What book can I learn this effect called, Humour from? Smile

Would it be unprofessional to ask howhis effect is accomplished, would it involve a method called smileing? Smile

H.W
When your only reality is an illusion, then illusion is reality.
discjockey
View Profile
Elite user
451 Posts

Profile of discjockey
I'm in no way professional, but what can make or break a performer I think is the attitude. if the attitude of the spectators is resentment because of rude comments, you've got a problem. if the attitude, on the other hand, is happy, astonished or the like, you know you've done your job. whether entertainment, astonishment or something else is your goal with magic/mentalism, reaching that goal by the most polite, honest and humble ways is what will allow you to succeed
ChEeKy_MoNkEy
View Profile
Regular user
FCCL
149 Posts

Profile of ChEeKy_MoNkEy
Salsa_dancer wrote:-

Quote:
No. Some people like to interact with a bit of humour now and again to relieve the seriousness of some of the discussions, as Rick said, 'relief humour'.

Although a different medium, internet forums are not much different to sitting down the pub (bar) having a chat with your mates (friends). If you are surrounded by miserable and serious people it doesn't make it much fun does it? I think humour adds to discussion in many cases, agreed that in some it takes it away though.

My views on unprofessionalism are, the attitude of some people needing to belittle another persons performance, and, the need to jump in and promote a product on a thread that is discussing another (I am talking about the originator of the product, not anyone else - as that is a natural conversation tangent).

I also agree that spelling and grammar do not the man maketh. There are too many reasons as to why a person might not have literary skills that would not impact on performance or profesionalism.

Ah salsa....we're in agreement again...can't really say I disagree with any of the above. As you point out - there is a difference between 'humour' and 'belittling' people. It seems to me real professionals don't have the need to belittle people as they are confident in their own abilities, simple as that.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Unprofessional and amateur are people who try to impress you with their performance rather than entertain you, and of course anyone who will reveal how an effect is done. I've sat in a lot of audiences of a lot of bad magicians, in spite of my dislike for their act I did not run them down to other audience members and never , never, never would I reveal how another performer does an effect, let alone how I do them.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Pharaoh Nuff
View Profile
Regular user
Third stone from the sun
119 Posts

Profile of Pharaoh Nuff
Arrogant know it all, know nothing, MTV copy cat culture victims, smooching up to the rich and shameless fluffy flip flop flappers of feckdom Z list has-beens and wannabes of the celebrity bling bling reality TV codswallop apocalypse.

Druidmasters.

Extortionate pricing of products and services with not even the manners or irony to wear a balaclava. And, posting your package to you with MAGIC... or the likes printed loudly all over it.

Not returning phone calls or emails.

Eating loudly especially with their mouths open.

Reading mentalism books in public.

Settling with form before content.

Genuine Psychics to the other side of nowhere and beyond bringing back quotes like, don't leave the lights on when you go to the Post Office in six months or you won't win the lottery.

The Phantom Muppets.

I needed that, great forum.

Shall I go on ? ...
Ednigma
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Ednigma
What aggravates me are magicians who look at their spectators as only "Experiments" to their effects, and in NO WAY care to personally relate to their audience. They seek only to gratify their EGOS, and forget the real reason for our craft: To GIVE the gift of entainment and AMAZEMENT to those we are blessed to demonstrate our gift to (whether it be with cards, coins OR NEEDLES THROUGH OUR ARMS!!! LOL)
Pharaoh Nuff
View Profile
Regular user
Third stone from the sun
119 Posts

Profile of Pharaoh Nuff
...I'm also available for childrens parties. Smile
DarkKnight
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of DarkKnight
What really ****es me off is dubious business practices. Such as creating multiple users on a board and using them to promote your own products. Harry ?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What do you think shows an unprofessional attitude in mentalism? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL