The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » What the? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Spydur
View Profile
Special user
PDX, now San Diego...back to PDX
966 Posts

Profile of Spydur
I just noticed that every topic(almost every topic) on the front page here is either on the Cups and Balls, Shells(mini cups and balls), Chop cup, or sponge balls. I am sure that there are other routines that use sleights that people have questions about. The trick is finding out which one.

So here is my question to you: "How many effect do you do in your show that envole sleight of hand?" And "Which ones are they?" Maybe if we have an idea about the effects that are being presented we can develope further ideas as to present these effect.

i.e.

color changing knives
paper balls over the head(not too heavy on the sleights, but you can do some really neat stuff as by play that incorporate sleights.)
Crazy mans handcuffs(maybe to make it more difficult you use two bands on each hand instead of just one...)

I am just trying to open the flood gates to let the wealth of great ideas come forth.

Corey
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I think the description of this topic,
"Ever so sleightly
Discussions on magic that uses sleight of hand, such as; Cups & Balls, The Three Shell Game, Sponge Balls, etc."
may have unintentionally narrowed down the effects discussed here.

The others you mention, as well as coins, cards and whatever, all use sleights but have found a home in the other close up forums.
Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
I'd suggest to the moderators to maybe revise the description of this Forum topic coz it kinda narrows down the topics mostly to cups and balls and the likes.
"Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom." - Anonymous
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Speaking as someone who had a topic moved (see my post on the salt pour) I agree the topic has become so narrowed as to make this almost useless. Sleight-of-hand with coins go to the coin form, cards go to cards, etc. Almost nothing we do would be pure sleight-of-hand and if it were, it would easily fit into other categories.

Not that I am against moving things to other forums, but sometimes the move restricts the responses since the people who frequent forums differ from forum to forum. A move can sometimes move a question from a group of people who may be interested in giving an opinion and place a question in front of a group of people who have very little interest.

These are technical things and seldom cause much concern for upset, but I do agree on getting a better handle on just what can be posted. I have had an interest in sleight-of-hand magic for many years, and while I do cups and balls as well as chop cup, I do tire of reading about it exclusively. I always saw this as a forum to discuss general close-up magic that entails sleight-of-hand but could even be stretched to encompass stand-up where sleights are concerned.

There have been many times in the past month I've looked here, seen more of the same C&B stuff and moved on to forums I have less direct contact with but am equally interested in such as grand illusion.

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Maybe this forum should be renamed.

"Oh those balls!
Sleights, routines and resources for C&B, chops, multiplying, sponges, zombies, etc."
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If you have a question or comment about some other kind of sleight of hand, such as color changing knives or crazy man's handcuffs, post it. That will get some variety into the forum.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Bill
How can you say that when color changing knives, and rubber band magic are being posted in other areas.
Al
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
There are many topics that seem to cross over into other areas. Rubber Bands have their own place in "Rings, Strings and Things" but questions about Color Changing Knives are welcome here. If you perform them on the street, then it's up to you whether "Sidewalk Shuffle" (Buskers) or "Street Magic" (Blaine wannabee's)is more appropriate.

Yes, it seem that Cups dominate this forum. They are also discussed heavily in the "Sidewalk Shuffle" as well as it's by far the most popular trick for Buskers. It all depends on the context of the question. As it's such a popular topic is it any wonder there's an entire forum dedicated to them? I personally read each and every word written here about the Cups, chopped and otherwise as that's my current interest.

But, as always, feel free to jump in with your favorite topic. I'm sure someone here will have something of value to add, even if it isn't about cups.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
You will notice that the recent post about CMH got one response from me. The post about CCK got none. That shows, IMNSHO, where interest lies.

Any questions?

Any answers?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
If anything, a separate forum just for Cups and Balls may be in order. Cards, as a singular unit, have their own forum, as do coins.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Ask the boss man. He's added forums before, although not very often. It seems to be an annual thing.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » What the? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL