The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Fear of a glimpse? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ednigma
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Ednigma
Are their ever times when you think that,when you do a glimpse, a spectator may INSTINCTIVELY know you peeked at that bottom card to get some type of information from it?...Maybe,I'm just guilty of "magician's thinking" as Osterlind says.

What are you guy's(and gal's) opinions on this?
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Jay Sankey in his dvds - Rev. Card Magic and Secret Files - glimpses at cards quite a bit. Jay always said in his dvds to not make a big deal out of it. If you act like nothing is happening, no one will know anything is going on, except you of course. So just relax, have confident and go out and do some wonderful magic, Ednigma!
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
TonyBrand
View Profile
Special user
Chicago, IL
508 Posts

Profile of TonyBrand
In my opinion, if one uses a glimpse in a logical manner and uses misdirection to his advantage, it is very difficult for a spectator to realize that a glimpse has even take place. Add in an effective presentation and you should be golden. By the way, there are some very effective glimpses in "Royal Road to Card Magic." To answer your question more directly: I don't believe a spectator has ever suspected me of performing a glimpse in order to achieve one of my effects. Well...at least I've never been called on it. Smile
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
On the one hand, a student magician is told: "The audience will look where you look."

On the other hand, that same magician is told: "Where you look doesn't matter."

Is it any wonder he or she is confused?

Basically, if it's not natural, then don't do it! Audiences WILL hone in on something that's unnatural, be it they way you display the cards or the accidental (?) glimpse of a card.

Vernon spent the better part of a lifetime stressing the naturalness of every move; it appears that his efforts were wasted.
Ednigma
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Ednigma
Mr.Marucci,no disrespect intended,but my next question is this:
If you MUST glimpse a card, how can you glimpse a card AND NOT?
The glimpse IS often a necessary means to obtain information about the previous card.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
There are all kinds of ruses a magician can use to glimpse at a card, fanning the deck to show it is normal. Gesturing with the cards, held in such a way they can get a glimpse. Bottom cards are a bit easier to glimpse than top cards, but it is about the same. Generally if you don't make it a deliberate move to "look", because your audience has no clue of what to expect, and you certainly aren't going to tell them, you get away with it fine. In most cases if you were to interview people right after they saw a trick, they actually remember very little about it, other than the final effect. They often don't remember cards being shuffled and cut (one reason many magicians in their patter remind the audience "you cut and shuffled the cards making any trickery on my part impossible...etc." as a part of their patter), or much else of the "set up". The magician being aware of what he is doing leads him to fear it will be seen. A good example is the thumb tip. New magicians are often very apprehensive about this gimmick. Yet in over 40 years, I've never had anyone notice the thumb tip. And in many a trick performed by a magician I was watching where I knew one was being used, I didn't notice it either. People as a general rule don't pay that much attention to detail. Gestalt psychology made a whole study out of the fact that people tend to look at forms, and relational things, not details. You know the detail so you know it is there. Unless you draw attention to it in some way,most won't notice, the one or two who might, if you simply refuse to acknowledge that is how it is done, still don't know for sure. Just practice before performing, watch yourself in a mirror, and try to be as continuous, and natural as possible. It will work for you.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Ednigma
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Ednigma
Thank you for clarification,photius.
*Jamie*
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of *Jamie*
That was a good post, Photius.
I still feel a bit uneasy when using my tt.
-Jamie
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
Manhattan, NY | Studio City, CA
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
Natural 'toying' with the deck- such as squaring or spreading the cards works well. Just be natural; you'll be surprised when it works.

Matt
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magicianâ„¢
www.CelebrityMagician.com / youtube.com/celebritymagician / twitter.com/RealMattWayne /
Facebook.com/CelebrityMagician

Creator of, 'Got a Light?' and others.
Spokesperson behind, TouchTricks
DanielTyler
View Profile
New user
New York
95 Posts

Profile of DanielTyler
Don't forget that the action of looking down at the cards is only unnatural when you make it unnatural. Avoid nervous body language, and just casually look down at the cards when youre getting your peak.
- Daniel Tyler

www.tylermagic.com
bigchuck
View Profile
Veteran user
Nothing clever has ever been said in my
400 Posts

Profile of bigchuck
I'd choose doing a trick with a forced card, rather than needing to rely on a glimpse of a card... there is much less pressure and the result can be basically the same -- what do you do when you miss a force ? you go into a different trick; with a peek you are pretty committed at that point in the trick and now you need to think of possible outs.
"The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact
mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows. - Frank Zappa"
Hushai
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
460 Posts

Profile of Hushai
In "World's Best Card Tricks" Bob Longe gives some clever ways of glimpsing a card. One is to say that you forgot you have to remove your unlucky card (the Queen of Spades, say)in order to do this trick. Then just remove that card, glimpsing the card you need to glimpse along the way, and set the "unlucky card" aside.
onezero1
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of onezero1
Quote:
On 2005-05-22 17:14, Peter Marucci wrote:
Vernon spent the better part of a lifetime stressing the naturalness of every move; it appears that his efforts were wasted.

No. Not wasted, I assure you.
'though it stands to reason that a samurai should be mindful of the Way...it would seem that we are all negligent.
sinnead zenun
View Profile
Elite user
Mt. Makiling
408 Posts

Profile of sinnead zenun
Glimpse at it boldly but don't pay much attention... continue talking and moving your hands for misdirection...
Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
I've been accused of having adult A.D.D., rapid fire thoughts and speach, always moving, etc. For those with similar personalities, rattling off at the mouth (patter) and fussing with the cards, you should easily be able to get a glimpse and it appear perfectly natural. I don't know what to offer the normal people.
The Dragon
View Profile
New user
The Dark Shadows.
90 Posts

Profile of The Dragon
Well I think you could do it while pattering, or perhaps provide a sound reason for all your actions as Dai Vernon might have said. Just be really natural. Mr. Marucci is right! If it ain't natural, don't do it. But of course he isn't saying that don't look and glimpse the card. He probably meant don't lift the deck up to ur eyes, and look at the bottom card then set it down again.

Okay I was exaggerating, but you get the idea =P

So just go ahead and glimpse, your previous tricks should set them off guard by then.

D.
Don't think too much.

Just hit it.
Magnum
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of Magnum
I have developed an out for when I feel that someone is going to trouble me when a glimpse is required. I dramatically glimpse a card, allowing them to catch me doing it. Then, as an act of fairness, I remove that card and lose it in the deck. In this motion I glimpse the card underneath it and continue with the routine. Replacing the card makes for good misdirection.
Chris Miller
View Profile
Loyal user
Rochester, NY
242 Posts

Profile of Chris Miller
There are plenty of natural or legitimate reasons to look at your deck of cards when performing. You don't need to take your glimpse while the spec is looking at their card. Do it while shuffling or playing with the cards before the spec has any idea what you are about to do. If I need a glimpse, I like to take it while giving the cards a riffle shuffle. Very simple to see the card which will end up on the bottom in the moment before the riffle is released, and it makes perfect sense that you would be looking down at the deck.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Fear of a glimpse? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL