The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Jim Cellini (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
enigma...the video is out....Smile

I haven't seen you in a bit. So there you have it. I'm going to be in charlotte working in may and I will keep in touch. I might drag Cellini along. Hope you can make it this time.

koz
filmyak
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
150 Posts

Profile of filmyak
Wow, I had no idea how lucky I was! ;-P

As a newcomer to magic, a lot of the big names are still (sadly) not second nature to me. Heck, a year ago I had never heard of Dai Vernon, but I think most laymen still don't know who he is, so that's not a necessarily uncommon thing.

But I did get to see Cellini lecture at a magic store in Orange County about 5 weeks ago. Street magic isn't my thing (that is, I love watching it, I just don't do it myself), but it was an amazing and eye opening experience to see him show what a street performer needed to do compared to a stage or close up performer. Fascinating!
Young Magician
View Profile
New user
Switzerland - Europe
3 Posts

Profile of Young Magician
Hi

If you are looking for Cellini tricks, visit the webiste of the "Zauberladen Zurich" (www.zauberladen.com/cellini.html). They have all of them including the "Cups and Balls" cups designed by Cellini.
Mr. Bunkley
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Mr. Bunkley
Hello,

Sadly, except for the recent videos/DVD's. . Jim's not making any money off of these Jim Cellini cups, tables, wands, etc. . .being sold. He didn't design those cups. . .the sales source just tacked his name onto them.. He doesn't even see any more money from the book.. . so do him a favor and buy the NEWEST stuff (video and DVD) - everything else is just filling someone else's pocket.

Jim's not angry or anything about this kind of exploitation. . .but he sure hates that kind of "whoring" out that magic lecturers are expected to do in order to pay the bills. He doesn't like having to sell a bunch of stuff. . .he'd just as soon "teach" what's in his head and heart. . . not push products.

You can support him best by going to his lecture and buying the most recent things he's released.

He's a treasure.

Daniel
Austin,TX
piccard
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of piccard
Quote:
...I agree 100 per cent......not only that ....this fellow in Zurich is making a really CRAPPY pouch and calling it The Cellini Bag...He has never ask Jim for his permission to use his name on it and Jim would throw-up if he saw it...It's made of cheap Leather looking vinyl materail...It would not last 3 months in real use and he has the balls to charge 350 swiss franks (that's About 250 US dollars for it)...So Beware...Jim is really being ripped off...by this swiss nut who he help so much years ago ro become a performer..Well that's my 2 cents on the matter...Piccard
On 2003-01-21 01:29, Mr. Bunkley wrote:
Hello,

Sadly, except for the recent videos/DVD's. . Jim's not making any money off of these Jim Cellini cups, tables, wands, etc. . .being sold. He didn't design those cups. . .the sales source just tacked his name onto them.. He doesn't even see any more money from the book.. . so do him a favor and buy the NEWEST stuff (video and DVD) - everything else is just filling someone else's pocket.

Jim's not angry or anything about this kind of exploitation. . .but he sure hates that kind of "whoring" out that magic lecturers are expected to do in order to pay the bills. He doesn't like having to sell a bunch of stuff. . .he'd just as soon "teach" what's in his head and heart. . . not push products.

You can support him best by going to his lecture and buying the most recent things he's released.

He's a treasure.

Daniel
Austin,TX
Smile Smile
MagiUlysses
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City
504 Posts

Profile of MagiUlysses
Greetings and Salutations,

Man, that just isn't right.

I only met Cellini once, briefly, but after 12 years in the news reporting business you can size somebody up pretty fast, and he's seems like one of the most stand-up guys I've run across, willing to talk and share with a complete rookie and stranger.

To get ripped off by somebody he helped ... well, that's just cold!

Given the above, the Cellini cups on my Christmas list can get crossed off. I'm not hero-worshipping or anything, but he made a couple of recommendations to me, that I didn't follow, initially, and realized shortly afterward that I had made mistakes and had to backtrack. I thought a set of Cellini cups would serve as a reminder to follow the advise of someone who's path I wanted to follow, even if it only led me around the festival circuit in the Midwest.

Well, I'll throw some support his way when his new video(s) come out!

Hey, does anyone know how tedb is coming along with the new Cellini performance video? I read here somewhere that tedb is on his way to NOLA, so the video may be on hold for a bit -- hey, everybody's got to eat, right? But are there any updates on a date for release for the second video, and what about the rumored third video?

Have fun in the streets!

Joe in KC
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Hi Joe,

I actually think Kozmo is shooting more footage while in NOLA. Jim is doing a lecture and a workshop there and I think they may be getting together.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
ClodAppleleft
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester, NH
195 Posts

Profile of ClodAppleleft
I have a couple questions concerning Cellini.

1) Where can I go to get a schedule of his lectures to see if any come near me?

2) I'm currently looking for a topit pattern, and I've heard that the Cellini topit is the best. Based on this thread, I'm weary about trying to find a Cellini Topit over the internet for fear of that my purchase will not benefit him. Does anyone know how I can get my hands on the Cellini topit pattern without having to wait for him to come to my area?

Jeff Hirsch aka Clod Appleleft
There are many different ways to cut an apple.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I'm interested in a Cellini topit too! Please let me know what you find out.
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Carlos Hampton
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of Carlos Hampton
Jeff,

I was also very interested in the Cellini topit. I recently got the chance to learn the ins and out of it since I acquired his DVD.
The thing I don't like about it is the way that is designed you have to use a vest and a jacket to use it the way he uses it. You can make alterations to the system to get rid of the vest, but I think that they are not worth the hassle.
I still like the Ammar design, easy to set up, even in front of the audience. This is the advantange that was claimed in the Cellini model.

This said you can make a combination of both topits, once again I think the Ammar is just good enough unless you are planning to carry huge objects in it.
MagiUlysses
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City
504 Posts

Profile of MagiUlysses
Greetings and Salutations,

The following link shows a couple of his upcoming/just passed lecture dates.

http://hometown.aol.com/magiclecture/cellini.html

It's the most current site I know of.

If you have a chance to go, go, you won't regret it. If the timing's right and he's less than a tank of gas from KC, I'll go see him again.

Joe in KC
Mr. Bunkley
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Mr. Bunkley
Hello fellow Cellini fans, friends,

Eric - hello from up the road. . .hope the kids are well.

Well -
It's funny to me to see the "Cellini Top-It". . it's been mentioned in more than a few places. I don't think Jim has any sort of pattern drawn out , he just had somebody make it for him. I'm going to suggest to him that he make one up , though and sell it because there sure is a lot of interest.

The topit is shown on his video, Support Jim and buy the video. But let me try to explain the theory here.. He has a big suitcoat.and has the bag/pocket open on the sides and all the way to the back. The back is sewn in at the shoulders of the coat and hangs down to the small of his back. This way, they weight of his cups and ball loads is held by his shoulders in the small of his back, not dragging the coat down. What's ingenious is how he gets hooked onto his vest to connect it to his body and hold the bags open on both sides. Where as all the other topits have a "tuck in" kind of stip of cloth to open the pocket,. . . his cleverly attaches. So. . if he doesn't want any one to see his pockets(topit) he just brushes his hand between the cloth of the topit and the vest that it is connected to and it closes up. I may be wrong, but I think he also has somethings on the coat part so that the pockets are either open (hooked to vest) or closed (hooked to coat). I hope it all makes sense. . .the basic idea is that the pocket goes all the way around him but doesn't sew to the bottom of the coat so it doesn't bundle up.

Thank you,
Daniel
Austin, tX
Jeff Dial
View Profile
Special user
Kent, WA
533 Posts

Profile of Jeff Dial
Daniel

Cellini does have a pattern for his topit system (at least he did last Fall in Seattle). He was selling it for $15, I believe.
"Think our brains must be too highly trained, Majikthise" HHGG
Mr. Bunkley
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Mr. Bunkley
BEE-U-T- Ful!!!!
Motor City
View Profile
Special user
Metro Detroit Area
587 Posts

Profile of Motor City
Jim Cellini will be lecturing in Louisville, KY on Tuesday, February 11th. Contact Bob Escher at 1-502-969-4800 for location details. Lecture content can be found at the following link.

http://hometown.aol.com/magiclecture/cellini.html

Any magic clubs or magic shops in the surrounding area that are interested in hosting Jim's lecture should contact John Luka at: JohnLukaMagic@aol.com

Jim has a wonderful lecture. To watch him perform his Linking Rings is worth the price of admission. It is truly a magnificent routine.

Jim also offers a workshop in conjunction with his lecture.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Jim Cellini (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL