The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What's the title of this beginner's card book? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Roland
View Profile
New user
Arizona
37 Posts

Profile of Roland
A few years back a boy briefly showed me a brand new beginner's magic book on cards. It looked kind of cheesy but I thumbed through it and it was very good. It included sections on self-working effects for beginners but had quite advanced sections also. Unfortunately I don't have the name or title BUT this book included two decks of regular cards, one blue backed, the other red. It was also sealed in a plastic cover and was probably sold through major book or educational distributors (rather than magic dealers.) Does anybody know the title or author of this book? Thanks for your help.
Mustang
View Profile
Veteran user
London, England
316 Posts

Profile of Mustang
Might have been Jean Hugards 165 Card Tricks and Stunts, I believe when I got that it came with some free decks. Might be completely wrong.
"A magician is one who appreciates the difference between knowing how a trick is done, and knowing how to do a trick."
bprattmagic
View Profile
New user
Boston
74 Posts

Profile of bprattmagic
Card College by Roberto Giobbi
Richard Doyle
View Profile
Regular user
Maryland
125 Posts

Profile of Richard Doyle
I believe the name is Self-Working Card Tricks by Karl Fulves. 72 Foolproof Card Miracles for the Amateur Magician. Book sold for $ 1.50 and has about 111 pages.

Richard
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Hi Roland,

Check this Barnes and Noble website link.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksea......p;itm=25

They have a card magic "package" that includes beginner card magic books and 2 decks of cards like you mentioned. I have seen this before in the store.

If the link does not work, the "set" contains 101 Best Family Card Games from Alfred Sheinwold and Bob Longes Worlds Best Card Tricks books with 2 "off brand" decks of cards, one blue back and one red back.

Good luck. Mark.
Roland
View Profile
New user
Arizona
37 Posts

Profile of Roland
Mark,

Thanks for checking Barnes and Nobles. I have also tried them and other major book dealers but this one slipped my searching. Unfortunately, it's not it. Because the book I'm looking for didn't teach just "tricks" but technique and sleights as well. Topics such as the glide and double lifts were included and if my memory is correct, they might have also shown a few basic palming techniques.

Any other ideas???
ralphgironda
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of ralphgironda
Royal road
expert card techinque
expert at the card table

????
Diavo
View Profile
Veteran user
The District
357 Posts

Profile of Diavo
Might it have been something like "Easy to Do Card Tricks" or something by BOB LONGE? Smile
I remember seeing a package at a Books-A-Million fitting the description.
I'm not just a magician, I'm an interpreter of Reality.
Underground, above ground, whatever. I don't need a label, thanks.
Roland Henning
View Profile
Special user
Kiel, Germany
511 Posts

Profile of Roland Henning
John Tremaine published such a book.
"The Amazing Book of Magic & Card Tricks" it is called
Wizzard
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of Wizzard
When you said the "Glide" that particular move has always been associated with 'The Royal Road to Card Magic' by Hugard and Braue!
Good luck in your search!
Regards,
Wizzard
It's never the wand, it's always the magician
Roland
View Profile
New user
Arizona
37 Posts

Profile of Roland
To another Roland and others...

Thanks for more possibilities. Unfortunately, the local big box bookstores don't have any copies and I can't find a picture on the net of that book... but I will keep looking.

So far, suggestions from this post that I'm still looking into:
The Amazing Book of Magic & Card Tricks by John Tremaine,
101 Best Family Card Games by Alfred Sheinwold,
Card Tricks by James Weir
Worlds Best Card Tricks by Bob Longe

It's definately not one of these (since I'm familiar with them):
Any Hugard and/or Braue
Any Robert Giobbi
Any Karl Fulves
Easy to Do Card Tricks by Bob Longe

I'll keep looking and listening to all of your suggestions.
Richard Doyle
View Profile
Regular user
Maryland
125 Posts

Profile of Richard Doyle
I would go for the James Weir book. I beleive that is the book I received several years back and it came with a red and a blue back deck of cards.However I could not find the "Glide" slight in the book. Small book with only 64 pages.

Richard
MrRidge
View Profile
New user
Derby UK
76 Posts

Profile of MrRidge
I would second the John Tremaine book. I bought it for next to nothing. It looked quite cheesey with big colour photographs, but was in fact surprisingly good.
I didn't come with any cards, but it was second hand !!
20Robert04
View Profile
Regular user
Midland, MI
152 Posts

Profile of 20Robert04
I'm looking at it right now what you are looking for is a box set called "Card Tricks and Games box set". It has a red and blue deck of cards and comes with two books. One book (the one you want) is called "World's Best Card Tricks" by Bob Longe. It not only teaches tricks but the following sleights:
The Peek
3 forces
False Cut
Glide
UPC is 9781402711114

Paul
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
This sounds a lot like a little known book called "Cards As Weapons" by some guy who is supposed to be kind of good with cards or something. I think I remember hearing that it's very inexpensive and can be found almost anywhere.

Yeah... that's got to be what you're thinking of.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
gerard1973
View Profile
Special user
Michigan, U.S.A.
688 Posts

Profile of gerard1973
Roland:

Please give us some more information about this book.

How many years ago did you see this book? two, five, ten or more years ago? What color was the book’s cover? Do you remember what type drawing was on the front cover? Was the book hardback or soft cover? Did the book have drawings inside of the book or did it have pictures also?

If you can remember some more details maybe we can help you find this book.

Gerard
"Confusion is not magic."
Dai Vernon
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
I recently saw a bundle of two of the Fulves "self working" card books packaged with some cards in a local Barnes and Knoble.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What's the title of this beginner's card book? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL