The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Life, Death & Other Card Tricks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ClouDsss
View Profile
Inner circle
1799 Posts

Profile of ClouDsss
Where can I still obtain a copy of this book?

Heard a few mentions of it but what is inside exactly? Tarot Cards? Card Effects?

In addition, is Robert E. Neale's other books good?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated

Thanks guys!

Cheerios
Think outside the box, cos people are all thinking inside now!! - ClouDsss
The Count of Three
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of The Count of Three
I searched the old threads of this forum and found a lot fewer mentions of this book than I expected, and only one previous thread devoted to this book specifically.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=110

It's out of print, but do a Google search and just click on the hits which are names of magic stores. Most list it as out of print, but at least a couple seem to have it available for order. (e.g. Earth's Largest Magic Shop)

"Life, Death & Other Card Tricks by Robert E. Neale
In Robert E. Neale's world playing cards appear, vanish, turn over, multiply, change and identify themselves to the magician, all in very mysterious ways. But if that were all they did, this book would be little different from hundreds of others on card tricks. What is unique in Robert E. Neale's world is that, while the cards do all these things they also tell stories, arouse emotions, explore the mysteries of life and death, and leave their viewers feeling just a bit altered by the experience. These are card tricks that entertain in ways that are rare and fascinating.

Over 60 New Presentations with Normal Playing Cards 441 Pages - 164 Illustrations - Hardcover"
ClouDsss
View Profile
Inner circle
1799 Posts

Profile of ClouDsss
Thanks for the link.

I guess this book must be pretty bad right? Not many liked the effects.

I saw one being bundled with his other book, Imagination..., being sold on ebay for USD$39. Wonder is it a bargain

cheerios
bluefred
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of bluefred
Hi try http://www.dennymagic.com I got one a couple of months ago and the video celebration of the sides,in half price I don't know the rest but I'm a big fan of neale's work.
ClouDsss
View Profile
Inner circle
1799 Posts

Profile of ClouDsss
Thanks Bluefred, the site which you provided only has one of Neale's books, Tricks of the Imagination.

My guess is that not many have this book or rather, its too old a book. I was hoping celaxa can come in and give a short review as from most of his posts, he highly recommends this book and I would like to know why.

Thanks
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
There seems to be two ways of thinking about Neale's magic. Either you love it, or you don't get it. Personally, I love it. Like most books in the bizarre realm, you shouldn't really buy this book for the tricks, though there are some great card tricks in it (a couple of which I use). Rather, think of it as an example of what a great story teller can do with just a regular deck of cards. I love this book, and would recommend it. If you can pick it up with "Tricks With Your Imagination" (equally good but not strictly cards) for $39, I'd say go for it. That's a real bargain.

Mark
What would Wavy do?
ClouDsss
View Profile
Inner circle
1799 Posts

Profile of ClouDsss
I wished I could but it seems that the auction has ended for that item *sigh*
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1941 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
Some magicians are not interested in presentations at all, but in yet collecting more tricks, thus the bad reviews. I just shake my head at some of those comments. But I think since you are posting here, you would LOVE Bob's books. He is literally a genius. He creates origami that...well I can't even fold origami let alone create one! If you like that, he has some books on it. As far as his magic books, he is a great magical thinker and very much ON about presentations and includes wonderful examples in his books. They are very stimulating for your creativity. Some of Bob's material is very Bizarre and quite creepy. I love the Tombstone cards. Man I wish I thought of that.
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
Here I am. Why I would recommend this book? Because Neale takes old tricks and gives them meaning, that means he builds a story around the individual effect.

I don't think you will find so many new effects - Neale gives references in all tricks, and most of the stuff is "old". But the way he presents the effects makes them special. I like the book very much!

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
tiptophat
View Profile
Loyal user
Wesley
269 Posts

Profile of tiptophat
I would highhy recommend Robert neale's material. I collect all of his books and think they are very well thought out. The effects in Life, Death and other card tricks are new or fresh ideas on older effects. The book is well worth the money.
ClouDsss
View Profile
Inner circle
1799 Posts

Profile of ClouDsss
Thanks guys I managed to find one 2nd hand copy and bundled with his Tricks of the Imagination.

I agree that bizzare books are good if the presentation is great. We can make an ACR bizzare with a nice twist with presentations, etc

Thanks for the comments everyone

Cheerios
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Life, Death & Other Card Tricks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL