The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » If you vanish a stack of coins... then what? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
If you vanish a stack of coins using your favorite method, what would make more sense?
Reproducing it one by one or reproducing it all at once?

I do a routine with 3 coins where I one by one produce 3 coins, then I vanish them all at once, then I don't know how to follow it if I will reproduce all at once (because I vanished them all at once) or if I will reproduce them one by one (because I started to produce them one by one).

Any thoughts on this mini problem is appreciated. Thanks.
"David Roth is the greatest coin manipulator in the entire world.."

-Dai Vernon "The Professor"

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
Vraagaard
View Profile
Inner circle
Copenhagen, Denmark
1479 Posts

Profile of Vraagaard
My advice is that I think you should end by vanishing the stack of coins without a sound. And after that - don't reproduce them - that will just make things look like a flourishy thing. Nobody can comprehend the vanish of 3 or more coins without a sound - its magic - great magic. Don't ruin that effect by reproducing the coins. It's the perfect ending to a coin routine.

Having said that I'm in favour of not doing 30 minutes with coins, or cards or silks. I do 5 minutes of each - maximum - so it's easy for me to end with a vanish - because I don't rely on bringing more coins out anyway.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
There are some clever routines in the Downs book Modern Coin Manipulation which involve vanishing piles of way more than three coins. Have a look in his book for examples and some suggestions.

Vanishing and reproducing coins is kind of a non-effect. If you left them gone, you would have some dramatic interest. If you did some magic between producing them and vanishing them later, you would might have a theme.

No easy answers on this beyond the obvious: Okay so you learned to hold our coins for a few seconds, now take the next step into effect construction and find out where that new skill is actually useful.

John Ramsay did something clever with four coins where instead of merely vanishing, they appeared in an impossible place. He then used the held out coins to effect a clever transposition.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Mano
View Profile
Inner circle
1028 Posts

Profile of Mano
I guess it all depend on the routine, if you start by producing 3 or 4 coins for instance or just three and as they check the coins you steal 1 more, lets say to do a coins across or three fly.

anyhow, once you produce them and do the routine you're planning on doing, you just about done, so vanish the whole stack of coins get your magic wand or some magic dust from your pocket and you are home free,LOL.

I do that in one of my routine.I always want to finish the routine the same way I started it with no coins. that is my 2 cents.

Peace out there.
Mano.

P.S.Hey Johnathan Townsend is nice to see you here, have you been at the pizza place lately?. nice seen you.
Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
Do a coin star. You can find it in Jeff McBride's World Class Manipulations. Or better yet watch this video of Fred Kaps. http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=30
"Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom." - Anonymous
Srk7a
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of Srk7a
As people have already said, it depends on where in your routine you are. If it is the end, a vanish is a nice conclusion and people understand its the end because you've gone full circle and there is nothing left. So there is no need to reproduce them.
However, depending on the method you use to vanish the coins, many methods will leave you dirty, which can be difficult to cover at times. So what might be nice is to change them to chinese coins as a finish - it'll take the heat off the vanished coins.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
A lot depends on the trick and where you're headed.

A transformation of the coins into an object you plan to use in the next phase of the act can be nice. Ball, sponge, elastics. I once worked something like this out where at the end of an Okito Box routine a sponge ball appeared to swell from the box. Gadabout Coins from Bobo is good for such a tranformation.

If the coins come from nowhere, and they're 'magic coins' or produced from a bagless purse, it's OK to have them return to nowhere.

If the routine requires they remain solid then they will.
For instance Carney's 'Hot Slots' where the jackpot on a slot machine is hit.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » If you vanish a stack of coins... then what? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL