The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Digital cameras (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Thanks! I did get all of them. I promptly burned the whole disk to a set of DVD's

I'm going to do some redundant backups as well.

Another thing about storing photos on line in general is that if you don't have internet access when you need them, you are SOL. Also, unless you have a high speed connection, it may take you a long time to download them and upload them. I like to save raw files, which may be 2 or 3 megabytes. If you go to the cups and balls museum site, you will find that there are 991 images on that site. about half of them are thumbnails, the others are larger. The largest photo on the site is about 80K. There are a couple that are around 55K. The rest are in the 20K range. I used to have larger pictures, but I realized that I needed to make the pictures practical for people to look at.

If you go through the dialup side of the gateway page, you will see thumbnails which call up the higher res photos. I still have the originals of all of those photos, plus the rejected ones. So we are talking about, say, 2000 photos of raw data. Multiply that by, say 2 meg. That's 4 GB of space. That's a lot of web space, but not a lot of hard drive space. It's less than 1 CD-ROM.

So, I have a lot of CD-ROM's and DVD's that I will be storing more files on as the acumulate.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
563 Posts

Profile of fccfp
Just for the record, You can lose film negatives and prints for a variety of reasons. Lost in a move, water damage, fire, MICE!, careless storage, etc...

At least w/ digital it's relatively easy to make redundant backups of everything. THe trick is labeling and storing the disks in such a way as to be readily retrivable. For some of my "absoulutly can't lose" files I keep a set of CD's at the office. THat way if something (God FOrbid!) happens at home there is a set elswhere. Keeping backups right next to each other always seemed like tempting fate.
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I also have a set of duplicates in my office. My office is in my home. It's a short walk.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1937 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Hey BP,
I thought you had computer problems last month. Is there something in the water in Houston?
Don't forget that the magical solution is still out there(MAC).
Last month I bought a 300 gig hard drive for redundant backup. These things are really cheap now.
Peace,
Parson
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I bought a Seagate 300 gig drive for a backup a couple of months ago. It lasted precisely long enough for me to copy some files to it. Then it died. Here's the irony of the situation. I can't send it back to Seagate. It has files on there that I don't want ANYONE to have -- account numbers, passwords, you name it!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
563 Posts

Profile of fccfp
Quote:
On 2005-06-07 18:14, Bill Palmer wrote:
I also have a set of duplicates in my office. My office is in my home. It's a short walk.

Bill,
THe idea is to have the back ups in a defferent location Smile
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
Yeah. We really saw the cameras this last season, including the folks using the video function to capture the end of tricks and the dangerous juggling stunts. My tactic is to bring the camera person or persons to the front, let them shoot the pix or video clips and then ask someone to take a picture of the picture taker and me together. Just before the count of "3"..I hold up my website name on a 2 foot cardboardl; black with big white letters. People laugh but maybe remember!
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
darkleopard5
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
107 Posts

Profile of darkleopard5
HI, CAN ANY1 TELL ME WHATS GAZZO'S CAMERA GAG?
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
Quote:
On 2005-06-11 17:20, darkleopard5 wrote:
HI, CAN ANY1 TELL ME WHATS GAZZO'S CAMERA GAG?

He holds the camera by the hand strap and drops the camera. Of course, it only falls for a moment before everyone realizes that it is being held by the strap. But for a split second, it causes subtle heart failure.
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
563 Posts

Profile of fccfp
Hae He ever dropped it?
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Digital cameras (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL