The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Rethinking the pulse stopper (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tiberius magus
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of tiberius magus
I've been trying a new style of going about pulse stopping with some interesting results. The way I see it, the basic advantage to the 'actual' or 'suggestive' methods is that in either case, since there is strong investment and an actual pulse is difficult to find, the method transfers well to a second spectator's pulse being stopped. However, no matter how amazed the specs appear at the time, I just know that later anyone who actually took a pulse is going to question themselves, even on the actual thing, because of how slight a pulse is.

Thus, when this effect is being used for fewer people in a closer setting, or even one-on-one, it would seem there is a way to remove all doubt and generally create a much stronger impression.

Here's what I've been doing:

We all know the age old trick, I'm sure, of causing a 'jump' in the pulse (hint: it's not angle proof). Doing this repeatedly can take the place of your actual pulse, and through guiding the positioning of the pulse-taker(unlike real, optimal position is thumb under, fingers over), as long as you don't get a nurse or doctor(more on that later) you can be sure the spectator will immediately focus on it. Now, you can very deliberately slow the rate, stop it, accelerate it, etc.

Have I just been lucky in finding suggestible specs(after all, I do look for the most suggestable ones to take part whenever possible) or could this be more effective? What do you guys think?

sincerely,
Tiberius Magus

p.s. I know you're all wondering what I meant about doctors and nurses. This is one of those things which is so great because it's so bold. I've just been asking my spectators flat out: do you have any medical training on how to take a pulse? To date, I haven't been that unlucky, so I just proceed with 'let me show you how." If I do happen to hit one, I plan on substituting the old method.
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Actually, at a recent Luke Jermay lecture he stated that the medical folks work rather well with theis. Now then, I am NOT a medical professional, but I do know how to take a pules, being a former EMT, and still being a CPR instructor, and I got nailed at the lecture! I say do not fear this!
Kay
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
When I get them to take mine, I always ask if they have found it. Then I stop it.
tiberius magus
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of tiberius magus
Just to clarify: are either of you refering to the modified method above or are you both referring to the more traditional method(s)?

sincerely,
Tiberius Magus
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
My bad, the traditional.........Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Rethinking the pulse stopper (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL