The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » How to teach a birthday magic class dvd (PLEASE REVIEW) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicah123
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of magicah123
I am hoping someone can review the new dvd how to teach a birthday magic class which is on hocus-pocus.com

Thanks
Mr Phil
View Profile
Regular user
Tilton, New Hampshire
160 Posts

Profile of Mr Phil
I just the How to Teach a Birthday Magic Class DVD yesterday. This is good stuff.

The first part is James spelling it all out for you. The hows and whys of each trick.
The set up in his case. Its a little like sitting with a friend as he explains how he does an effect or routine. It is well lit and the sound is good. My only issue (and its a small one) it I wish he would of shown the class tape first then the commentary.

For me the 2nd section is the best. James taped a class and we get to watch. It is great fun and James is in control from the start. He uses his bits and gags well and this is valuable stuff.

I added a new trick to my classes and a few bits to 2 of the tricks I allready teach.

I reccomend this highly

Phil

if you are already teaching magic classes or workshops then there is little groung breaking stuff here. What makes it so valuable for you is the extras James puts in to his class.
Mr. Phil & Co. Quality Family Entertainment, Guaranteed! (603) 286-3029 WWW.mrphilandco.com Snail Mail to: P.O. Box 31 Tilton, NH 03276
smartie_28
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of smartie_28
Sounds interesting
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
686 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
Excellent DVD. James in in my market, and as he was selected as Top Party Entertainer in the area by our Parent's magazine and I was only a finalist, I figured it would probably do me good to check out how he does things. One bit of advice was worth the price of the CD to me right away, something I've started using already. The party footage is great, and between the Magic Class and business ideas, I'm quite happy with the purchase. James is a class act, and a great fellow, too.
Ed the Magic Guy
View Profile
New user
Whittier, Ca
32 Posts

Profile of Ed the Magic Guy
This DVD is awesome. It will open up a bigger market for you, especially those 9-12 year olds.

Side note: James would you be able to give your presentation for the Romeo and Juliet story for the linking paper clips. You mention it on the DVD, but it's not shown for that particular Birthday Magic Class.

Thanks,

Ed Fultz
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
Thanks everyone for the nice comments - I'm so glad you enjoyed the dvd and I hope you get out there and book some more shows.

Thanks, Folksingmagic - who are you?

Here's my presentation for the Romeo and Juliet Paperclips:

I start by asking if anyone knows the story of Romeo and Juliet. Usually, one of the kids will say something funny like, “Two people fell in love, but their families didn’t like each other, so everyone died.”

Whatever they say, I praise their excellent synopsis and continue…

“The reason the families hated each other was over money. A business partnership involving a shady timeshare deal in Verona went sour.” This should get a good chuckle from parents. As I talk, I hold up a dollar and fold it into the Z-shape.

“Here is poor Romeo” – I hold up a blue paperclip and slide it onto the bill, “and his sweetheart Juliet!” I show the pink paperclip and slide it onto the other end of the bill.

“Very much in love, but kept apart by their parents’ petty squabbles. And look, they really are apart.” I walk around the room making sure everyone can see the paperclips are spaced apart. I then have the kids cup their hands in readiness for the next bit.

“And here is my improvement on Shakespeare’s total downer of an ending. You see Romeo and Juliet decided to ignore their parents’ hatred. They gave up their inheritance and leapt to a life of love and happiness.”

You yank the bill and watch the paperclips fly in the air and hopefully get caught by one of the kids.

“See! They really are together…” Retrieve the paperclips and display them joined together. “…and that is my ending for the story of Romeo and Juliet.”

I teach this trick to emphasize storytelling and making a trick more entertaining.
After the kids have practiced the trick I get them into small groups and they come up with a different story. I’ve had some very entertaining ones including Batman and Robin being killed by MoneyMonster.

And also, You don’t hand out a dollar bill to each kid. Instead, use play (Monopoly) money. Or even better, I get million dollar bills printed with my web site and phone number – never miss a good marketing opportunity.

By the way, I just so happen to sell the million dollar bills, printed four to a sheet of letter-size paper which you can run through your printer and add your contact info to a space on the back of each bill. They are printed on special paper and look great. I’ll have them on my web site soon, but in the meantime email me if you are interested…

Best regards,
James
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1605 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
I just finished watching the dvd. I'm just starting doing classes, and found the teaching very helpful. I've read as much as I can about teaching classes/workshops, and have several books and videos on the subject. To me, this one is probably the best. Very good value for the dollar. Thanks James.

Brian
Sal Amangka
View Profile
Special user
Manila, Philippines
712 Posts

Profile of Sal Amangka
I already ordered a copy of this dvd and I'm very excited to get it!

Sal
Salamangka in Filipino means "Magic"
http://www.thechubstershow.com
thechubstershow@gmail.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » How to teach a birthday magic class dvd (PLEASE REVIEW) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL