The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » "Gambler's Case" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
In the card museum in Cincinnati, which is closed for some reason, I read there is a "Gambler's Case" featuring cheating devices used in the late 1800's. Have any of you seen this case and if so can you tell us what is in it please.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
card123
View Profile
Loyal user
Button moon
208 Posts

Profile of card123
A deck of cards
A copy of Erdnase
A nailfile
Lipstick
A box of kleenex
And a copy of Razzle.
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
And a small, freeze-dried frog wearing a tiny sombrero and playing a little wooden mariachi guitar... but no one is quite sure why that was in there.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Erdnase! That did not come out until 1902. Are you sure that features? Everything else is standard cheating equipment: The frog is for hopping.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Canvey Card Sharp
View Profile
Special user
Canvey Island Essex ENGLAND
552 Posts

Profile of Canvey Card Sharp
Isn't there also a rambling from Harry Lorayne inside stating that the Erdnase book "was just a rip off of something that he'd written years before when he was a poor street kid but he still hadn't been paid a dime for"?

Also the lipstick is the same shade as his - "just two great minds thinking alike"!
Barry Allen

A Trick....A Smile....Applause
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Owen's brothers Magic Co. Used to sell a case with equipment for a gambling lecture. This included marked cards loaded dice a hold out and a few other things. I think Rolland Hamblem wrote the instruction book for it - but I could be wrong. Rolland Hamblen also invented Jailed card that Owen (Thayer) also put out.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
Skinny Fatts
View Profile
Regular user
Ohio
106 Posts

Profile of Skinny Fatts
I thought the frog had a top hat and sang "Hello, My Baby" to whomever found the box, eventually driving the owner insane and into financial ruin.
Doomo
View Profile
Inner circle
2364 Posts

Profile of Doomo
Please... That was a horrible rumor created by Marlo who in fact held the poor frog captive in his basement for over 30 years. The horrors that poor frog witnessed. Not ANOTHER version of oil and water!"
If you ever get to a point where words have no meaning, you're probably talking to a dog.

Remember! More Bang For LESS Bucks! It is the right way!

www.rfaproductions.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Owen sells the Merv Taylor, Bob Haskell Gamgling act (I have one of the originals) that was a complete act with gaffes, deck switches built into the table, etc.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
I take it that none of you have been to the Card Museum in Cincinnati. I would have thought any card guy, close enough, would have been interested in what they have there. No wonder they closed it.

Thanks for tips the Gambling act case.

So what do think you think a real cheat would have in his case today.

Tommy

Tommy
Alewishus
View Profile
Inner circle
parts unknown
1227 Posts

Profile of Alewishus
Money, lots o' money.

A.
Sack subs, ok Ross?
We miss you asper.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Actually they use cheque books in real high stakes games believe it or not.

Tommy
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
On 2005-06-08 20:49, tommy wrote:
So what do think you think a real cheat would have in his case today.

Tommy

With equipment comes the possibility of getting caught with it. Good as they are - shiners, marked cards, hold outs, bugs, the punch - all of this can be spotted in a game or at a show.

The use of belly stripers made by a card cutter with a corner rounder or with a deck press and sandpaper or a sharp piece of glass can be spotted as well. People that use these things run the risk of getting caught.

I think that that is why I like the stuff in Erdnase because it is skill and the magician doesn't need the above equipment. But I do like collecting the above equipment and playing with it and trying to find a magic use for it.

What I have in my cigar box is a punch, one hold out bug, two card presses for making stripper decks. And a nail file. But the only things I use once in a while are the nail file and the card punch. Depending on the show and what effects I am doing.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Cool Glen

Your right. Have you seen that film "Shade" and seen The Deans case. I was just curious and wondering if that was the case from the U.S. Playing Card Museum or maybe it was Jasons as he seems to have an interest in this stuff.
I know a couple who have your DVDs in their case today. Smile
Maybe they would have Fortes, Ortiz, Turner and Ortize DVDs and books like Forte and still Erdnase and RCT and ECT Phantoms. In fact all they would need is a lap top and a camera for practice and they might put all their books on discs for staying in hotel rooms. I would like to see what the Gaming Board in Vegas as siezed over recent years from card cheats.

Tommy

Tommy
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
On 2005-06-09 05:50, tommy wrote:
Cool Glen
I know a couple who have your DVDs in their case today. Smile

Tommy

Thank you for the complement. Wait till you see the new stuff it rocks!

Thanks again Tommy...
Glenn Bishop Cardician

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » "Gambler's Case" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL