The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Review: The Chess Gambit (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
758 Posts

Profile of Josho
Chess Gambit is another release from Devin Knight based upon his adaptation and improvements to work originally created by the late mentalist Al Mann. The first such release was the recent “Glass Box Prediction,” a superior effect featuring not only a brilliantly thought-out headline prediction method, but a terrific set of “mix-and-match” routining elements which can be assembled to suit the performer’s taste.

I can happily report that Chess Gambit is just as clever as the Glass Box Prediction, and preserves Knight’s record of providing not only some diabolical subtleties, but a range of presentational possibilities to accommodate different comfort levels. In both cases, these effects are greater than the sum of their parts. In both cases, Knight starts off with Al Mann’s original effect and then guides you through his revisions, giving solid reasoning for each change. As Mann and Knight worked together, I don’t get the feeling that Knight is stepping on Mann’s toes. To the contrary, I’ve been a fan of Mann’s for many years, and it’s a real pleasure to see Knight give Mann’s effects a wider audience, and to do so with respectful and intelligent thinking.

The effect: two (truly) random spectators are invited onstage. The Performer retrieves, from an audience member, a book sealed in an envelope. This sealed package stays in view throughout the effect. The book, the Performer explains, was given to a volunteer before the show, who looked through the book and circled ONE chess piece in red crayon. The book was then closed and sealed in the envelope with a note attached giving the page number of the circled chess piece.

There is a chess set onstage. One of the two spectators is requested to take any one of the 32 chess pieces on the board and place it in a bag. This is all done with the spectator’s back to the audience, so that nobody can see which piece is being placed in the bag.

The second spectator opens the envelope containing the book. The spectator opens the book to the page given on the attached note, to find the circled chess piece. This page is shown to the audience, and the spectator can then flip through the book to determine that there are no other markings anywhere within the book. Let’s say the Black Queen is the piece circled.

The first spectator opens his paper bag and reveals that the piece he selected and hid was, indeed, the Black Queen.

Various features of this prediction should be pointed out: no stooges are involved, no assistants are required. The performer never touches the book, the chess pieces, the board, or the bag. The spectator removes the book from the envelope and there is NOTHING else inside the envelope; it may be torn completely open to demonstrate this.

OK, let’s be honest: this is not an inexpensive package. So what do you get for your money? It’s really surprisingly substantial:

1. The chess pieces. These are standard-design, good-sized pieces -- the Kings are 4” tall -- big enough to be seen clearly by the audience, but small enough to be easily concealed by the spectator.

2. A flexible 20”-square chess board.

3. A zippered pouch large enough to contain the chess pieces.

4. The book. This is a real chess book, an oversized paperback, and a hefty one at that – over 350 pages. While it is genuine, it has been pre-gimmicked in a unique way, allowing it to be casually examined while hiding a multitude of sins.

5. A large supply of the brown paper bags. These are ungimmicked, but the package itself plays an important role in the effect. These are standard bags, so once you run out, you’ll have no problem finding more locally.

6. A sample Kraft envelope for the book. While any such ungimmicked envelope can be used, Knight has lightly gimmicked this one in a way that demonstrates one of the possible “wrinkles” to the effect. (As with most such wrinkles, utilizing it adds a bit more complexity for the performer in return for an even more aboveboard-appearing handling.)

7. A large supply of the material used to gimmick the book. With this material, you could gimmick many of your own books for other purposes and/or refresh the gimmicks in the supplied chess book. And this material is very commonly available, so if you ever run out, it’s a cinch to get more.

8. Twelve pages of photo-illustrated instructions. (One of the photos is a little difficult to read because the instructions are printed on copy-resistant red paper, but the supplied items make it abundantly clear what you’re looking at.)

The way the book is gimmicked is, to my mind, the golden nugget in this package, because the concept behind the gimmick is one of those “jumping-off points” that spurs thoughts of a huge range of possibilities.

But it’s not the only such jumping-off point in this effect; there are several more. Most dramatic, perhaps, is a little-publicized Stanley Jaks principle (that actually formed the basis for Al Mann’s original version of this effect). It’s a bold bluff and I can already imagine some delightful and devious possibilities extending beyond the scope of this particular effect

Performing the Chess Gambit, going the easiest route, will take a small amount of audience handling and a bit of acting (nothing beyond the scope of a good casual mentalist) and really nothing else – no sleights, no outs, no memory work, no secret writing. Even the additional handlings suggested by Knight, which add subtle convincers, aren’t technically difficult at all.

No matter what kind of routine you construct out of the available parts, the result will be an airtight prediction with an unusual theme, one that should appeal especially to educated audiences.

Recommended, and available exclusively from http://www.Hocus-Pocus.com.

--Josh Mandel
kamus
View Profile
Veteran user
Silver Spring, Md
369 Posts

Profile of kamus
Thanks for taking the time to share with us your thoughtful review. Sounds good!
il illegetimi est non carborundum

http://www.davidkanemusic.com
hjelm
View Profile
Regular user
Sweden, Borlänge
112 Posts

Profile of hjelm
Thanks a lot!
Just one question, but an important one for me:
What is the mentalist's ability or skills? I ask this because Al Mann is a mentalist and the effect is sold by Hocus Pocus under "mentalism"? maybe it is mentalism but for me it looks like a fantastic magic trick. Am I wrong?
Hjelm
Sweden
dr chutney
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom
518 Posts

Profile of dr chutney
I'm afraid so far my only exposure to Devin's work is Impossible Devination, which I thought was pants.

His current output does seem to be garnering favourable comments, and thank you Josh for a very thorough review. It sounds as if you're getting a well thought out comprehensive package.
We're having a laugh!
Grab yourself a FREE Joke Ebook at http://thejester.biz
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2708 Posts

Profile of kinesis
Thanks for the review, a very good one at that. I will have to consider this effect again as I think it will play well.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
758 Posts

Profile of Josho
You're quite welcome!

Hjelm,

It's purely a prediction effect, so I think it falls squarely under the heading of mentalism. Boiled down to its simplest definition: the spectator who initially circled the chess piece in the book prior to the show somehow correctly predicts which one of 32 chess pieces will be selected by a different spectator during the show. (Of course, you can frame it differently...)

Dr. Chutney (and others),

There's another thread about the effect here: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......9&10
It may answer yet more questions about the effect. I'm never sure how much to reveal in a review...

--Josh
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2493 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
I strongly suggest if you are considering this effect to not delay as the supplies are very limited. I have no more myself to sell as my stock is depleted. The problem is that the gimmicked book I supply is out of print and in short supply. I've looked at several alternative books but the one I supply is the best one and to supply an alternative book would only decrease the quality of the props and trick in my opinion.

Paul Gross of Hocus Pocus ask me if there was any way I could come up with 24 more of these due to the big demand. I'm happy to say after weeks of searching the interent book dealers I was able to come up with 24. Most book dealers only have a small stock of each book sometimes as few as just 3 or 4 copies. Coming up with these 24 books was quite a job as I have pretty well cleaned out some book dealer's stock. The last 24 sets that will ever be made are shipping to HP this week, when these are gone no more will be available as I just can't get the needed parts. That is a shame as this a really great effect in my opinion and I wish it were possible to give it to more people.

Devin Knight
hjelm
View Profile
Regular user
Sweden, Borlänge
112 Posts

Profile of hjelm
Hi, Josh, and thanks for answering!
First I must say that the trick seems to be really good.
I don't think I'm a funda-mentalist. The price is not much for what you get. But I have bought so much good things, that later don't fit into my show. That's why I always ask myself: what skill do I want to show and does the trick show that?
I think you answer me "the spectator...somehow correctly predicts...". That's OK for me.
hjelm
Sweden
Juan D
View Profile
Elite user
482 Posts

Profile of Juan D
Devin, any news on the PUBLICITY HOAXES
I'm eagerly waiting Smile
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Being an avid chess player, this has really got me going..
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2054 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
Question: Could the principles be adapted to a non chess-themed presentation, using a different set of objects and a different book?
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
758 Posts

Profile of Josho
Quinn,

Absolutely.

--Josh
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2493 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
I can't say right now what the effect is (to prevent someone from beating us to the market) but I have similar effect NOT using the Chess Book but other objects coming out in about a month via Murphy and Hocus Pocus called Double Coincidence. We realize the chess theme has limited appeal to some people and the new version should have universal appeal. That's all I'm allowed to say about it, but the same principles will be applied to different objects for those not wanting to use chess boards and a chess book.

Devin Knight
durhamkid
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of durhamkid
The Chess Gambit is a quality "set piece" form of mentalism. There's nothing really to be added to Josh's review. Presentation wise it plays as it reads on the product description - no misleading hype just great entertainment. It is clear that the Knight / Mann stamp is a guarantee of a product with pedigree.

The other reassuring aspect re this product and "Glass Box Prediction" is that Devin Knight appears to understand the general concerns magicians and mentalists have about new products. To this end he has been quite prominent on the Café in answering questions and clarifying any points. Admittedly he is also promoting the products but it is refreshing to see that he does respond to genuine queries and is honest and open about the parameters of an effect.

A couple of practical points re the materials for Chess Gambit. In Josh's review he mentions the freely available brown paper bags.Paper grocery bags are not as commonly used in the UK and as such will not be widely available. This is not necessarily a problem because owners of this trick may want to use an alternative type of bag anyway. Secondly the replacement material to gimmick the book is hard to find from most high street retailers in the UK. An internet search has verified this but has detailed a couple of suppliers who may stock it. I stress may because I have yet to check with them. Apologies for being so cryptic but as the method is so closely allied to these mystery materials it is not appropriate to reveal them here.

Terry
kuffs
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of kuffs
I receive this weeks the Chess Gambit.

First I am a fan of Devin thinking for most of his works. This one fit the bill...

Well constructed routine and clear manuscript, even some part can be use for others routine with some imagination...Some clever touch are ad to the Original's Al Mann idea and Devin bring the idea to a far superior ending in my mind

I like it and will use it... For me this is the best part! ;-)

Kuffs
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4306 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
I recently received Chess Gambit from Devin and I am very impressed with the effect and the method. As with Devin's other release, Clear Prediction Chest, Chess Gambit comes with a very comprehensive and easy to understand manuscript of intructions and tips as well as a thorough history of the evolution of this effect.

The effect is direct, unusual and very entertaining. Prior to the show a sealed package containing a book is given to a spectator to hold. During the show, a freely selected spectator who knows how to play chess is asked to come on stage. Please note that this effect can also be done in a parlour setting and can even be done one on one in a close-up setting. On the stage or in someones livingroom is a chess set with all 32 pieces properly in place. The spectator is asked to freely select anyone of the 32 pieces and to put the chess piece in a paper bag so that no even the audience can see which piece is being placed inside the bag.

The person who was given the sealed package to hold is asked to step forward and confirms that he/she has kept the sealed package in his/her possession and that nn one has opened it. The package is opened and inside is a book wrapped with paper and sealed with tape. The tape and paper is removed and stuck on the book is a message stating that a chess piece was circled on a certain page inside the book. The spectator opens the book to that page and sees a single chess piece circled and the spectator tells everyone the name of the chess piece that is circled. The spectator riffles through the book to see that no other chess piece is circled. For the first time, the other spectator removes the chess piece from the paper bag that was freely selected and matches the chess piece that was circled in the book.

The detailed instructions coems with three (3) different methods of accomplishing the efect. All methods can easily be done by any mentalist or magician of all levels of experience. The techniques are easy to master. With last two of the methods provided, the spectator and the audeince can verify that the note attached to the book clearly is written what page number the chess piece was circled on.

The effect comes with a wonderfully gimmicked book that you could not find or make for yourself. It also comes with a vinyl chess board cover that is like a heavy vinyl small table cloth that can be esaily folded into a very small and lightweight bundle. It weighs almost nothing and can be folded into a very snamll bundle. It also comes with the complete ungimmicked chess pieces.

The effect is very strong and easy to do and easy to carry. In fact, you can perform this at a dinner party adn if the person has a chess set, you can use that person's chess set and even mail the book to the person ahead of time to hold. This way the only thing that you have to bring is the paper bag.

This is a very strong effect. It uses interesting props and an intersting premise. It is difficult to come up with mentalism effects that are different and have an interesting theme and are entertaining. Chess Gambit accomplishes all of these. Chess Gambit as well as Clear Prediction Chest are true mentalism classics that will withstand the test of time. I highly recommend Chess Gambit.

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4306 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
I forgot to mention in my previous post that everyday some new effect is distributed that is supposed to be the next miracle effect. Some are indeed good while, more often than not, the effect sinks into oblivion and into the purchasers' drawer or shelf, forever forgotten. I have a drawers and shelves of my own forgotten "miracles."

I cannot stress enough that I feel this item, Chess Gambit, as well as Clear PRediction Chest, is a powerful and entertaining mental routine. Maybe it is not the latest fad that got a lot of unjustified and soon forgotten hype. But Chess Gambit and Clear Predcition Chest are routined around solid and proven methods developed and/or improved by a true professional with many years of experience. These routines are meant to be used, to entertain and to mystify. These items are and will be classics of mentalism for years to come. Ocne again, I highly recommend both of these well made and well developed effects.

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2493 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
Thanks for the nice review Michael. One thing Michael forgot to mention is that the circled chess piece in the book is apparently circled by someone in the audience before the show, or by a psychic friend.

The mentalist along with the audience apparently doesn't know which page is circled until the post-it note on the cover of the book is read. The person was instructed to circle a piece at random, note the page and write the number on a post-it note to make it easy to find the page during the show. So please understand, the magician doesn't make the prediction. The circled chess piece is done by someone else making for an almost impossible concidience. The mentalist just sort of observes what is going on, which is what makes this so amazing. You apparently do nothing. The effect just happens and is unexplainable.
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4306 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Magicbuilder,

I forgot to mention those important details. Thank you for the clarification. I think the fact that another person besides the performer makes the prediction by circling the chess piece in the book before the show adds credibility and mystery to the effect. It also changes the pace of the show in that throughout the show you have and are proving to the audience that you, the performer, can read minds, predict future events, duplicate images, even bend metal objects. This routine allows the performer to show that everyday people come across unusual or strange events and sometimes define them as being a coincidence since coincidence is an explanation that is easy to accept. But perhaps what appears to be a concidence is actually something different, something perhaps unexplainable. You can demonstrate this by doing this routine and let the audience decide if the matching of the chess pieces was merely a coincidence or something more, something that we all possess and something unexplainable.

I really hope people get this effect and use it. It is a very well made and well thought of routine. I should be using it in an actual performance within the next week and I will let you know how it goes.

Best regards,

Michael
—Hakim, Loreweaver
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4306 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
I had the opportunity to perform Chess Gambit at a friend's house over the weekend. I like to try out new effects with friends before actually using them for "real" audiences. It gives me a chance to gauge my performance and the people's reaction so I can make the appropriate modifications.

In summary, the effect and routine played extremely well and the guests were entertained. Aterwards my friend and the guests told me that they enjoyed the routine and thought it as very interesting. They were baffled as to how the chess piece that one of them freely selected was correctly circled in the book that was given to one of them to hold prior to the performance in a sealed package.

Having tested this effect with a live audience, I can say that Chess Gambit will entertain an audience and is a very practical and easy to do mentalism effect. A performer will have better success in using this effect if used with an audience who has a basic knowledge of chess. I enjoyed using this effect and I highly recommend it.

Michael
—Hakim, Loreweaver
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Review: The Chess Gambit (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL