The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Don't know if this belongs here but... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sammy the Kid
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern Illinois
314 Posts

Profile of Sammy the Kid
If this fits more with the busking forum, please forgive me. I just got in from doing balloons for our church's Vacation Bible School Carnival. Its my first time out doing balloons followed by a little strolling magic... and then more balloons. I HAD THE TIME OF MY LIFE!!! (OK so I've lived a sheltered life) I did about 200 ballons in 2 hours, all free and all the kids loved 'em. It does seem that the kids liked the simpler sculptures over the more complex "toy"-like designs like helicopters and airplanes. Swans, crocodiles, elephants, turtles and swords were the biggies. Is this a normal day in the life of a balloon worker? I did get a couple of paying gigs out of this and I kind of would like to know what to expect.

Thanks in advance,
Sammy the Kid what thinks he's found a good thing in balloons

Oh, and Mark Wilson's spongeball routine is the greatest thing in the world to these kids.

Sammy the Kid
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
200 balloons in 2 hours? Holy latex, you're a balloon factory! I was at my semi-regulart restaurant gig, and I did about 30 balloons in 2 hours. But I now use a sharpie marker to draw some lovely eyes and mouths and other cute details on them (the balloons, not the children). and this makes me feel more like a balloon artiste. However, when in large, hungry crowds, quantity is the priority. I find poodles and butterfly/hummingbirds and stegosaurs and mice and swords and flowers and hats to be the most popular.
What to expect? I dunno. Expect the unexpected, and have fun! Congrats on adding this to your repertoire!
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
Sammy the Kid
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern Illinois
314 Posts

Profile of Sammy the Kid
Hours and hours of practice helped me streamline the process of pumping and twisting. We had just shy of 200 kids sign up for Bible school and they all got at least one balloon and a few got 2 or 3. I did the sharpie marker work as well. Most of the designs I do are from the little pamphlet that came with the balloon pump I bought at Wal Mart. I've also picked up a few online and even twisted out a few of my own. I would like to find some dino designs since I had a few requests for those and couldn't make 'em.

Sammy the Kid
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Sounds like you did fine - remember the "high" of successes like this; that will make up for the occasional "low." Don't worry where you got the designs ... bottom line is: they loved you!
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
phill
View Profile
Veteran user
Connecticut
365 Posts

Profile of phill
Sammy -
Try these sites....

http://www.balloonhq.com

And

http://www.mbd2.com/forum/default.asp

You'll have to sign up as a member (free) at MBD2.com in order to access the instruction area.....Try the search function for dinosaur

peace,
phill
Scripture, Sculptures & Surprises!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Don't know if this belongs here but... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL