The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Searching for a Novelty (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Village Idiots
View Profile
Elite user
Orlando
464 Posts

Profile of The Village Idiots
My girlfriend's grandmother had a picture of her husband and her that was taken at a amusement park in the UK many years ago. It was a mini picture that was inside of a magnifier. You have to hold it up to one eye and peep in to see the photo.

I know Disney sells keychains like this but does anyone know how I could get one custom made of me and my girl. She would love it and folks like you are the only ones I could think of that might know.

Thanks for the help.
Some are born idiots.

Some are made idiots.

Some have idiocy thrust upon them.
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
They are called stanhopes. I have a couple of Houdini ones from about 1910. I don't know what the newer ones are called, but I know what you're talking about. They are made of plastic, rectangle and the they taper down to one end. I would try Ebay and try make it. OR Take her to Disney World, you're right in town. Smile

Good Luck,
Kevin
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
The Village Idiots
View Profile
Elite user
Orlando
464 Posts

Kevin,

Disney sells premade ones. Not custom with your own photo. Now that I have a name I will google it. Thanks. I just knew someone on this forum would know.

Check out this great site I found after googling.

http://www.grand-illusions.com/shop.htm

Some really neat stuff.
Some are born idiots.

Some are made idiots.

Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

I know some amusement park sells almost custom ones. They catch as you come in the park and take your photo and then during they day put them in one of these viewers. I don't know if it's Six Flags or maybe Busch Gardens or another one. I do know I've seen them.

I would search under: plastic view/viewer small/tiny hold towards light etc. They're out there....somewhere!

Good Luck,
Kevin
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
The Village Idiots
View Profile
Elite user
Orlando
464 Posts

Kevin was great with his advice and thanks to google I have been in touch with a lady from the UK that had advice. Any from the States?

Bringing this to the top because it is important to me. My ladies Nanna passed away last week. I would like to give her a peeper of us for our marriage gift.

Obi One Kenobi, you are my only hope.

Well
Some are born idiots.

Some are made idiots.

Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

How about this? Try calling a few camera/photo stores and see if they can do it. Just a thought for the quick fix.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Pele
View Profile
New user
State of Bliss, USA
29 Posts

Profile of Pele
Six Flags does them, or at least all 5 that I have been to.
You can also maybe do a search for novelty photography items.

You might also want to contact Jo Wheldon ( jo@gstringsforever.com I believe) in NYC.
She has somehow been able to have view master reels made of current burlesque stars and wherever she gets those done might know how to do stanhopes as well.

Best of luck to you.
If, of all the truths in the world, you choose one and follow it blindly, it becomes a falsehood and you a fanatic.
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
Pele, post more often! Your Fire make-up tips at Sideshow Central were awesome. Opened up even my rusty mind.
Love
Slim
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
Pele
View Profile
New user
State of Bliss, USA
29 Posts

Profile of Pele
Thanks Slim. *blush*

I'll post when I feel I can add something, I promise. I just don't get here much. Smile
If, of all the truths in the world, you choose one and follow it blindly, it becomes a falsehood and you a fanatic.
The Village Idiots
View Profile
Elite user
Orlando
464 Posts

I don't want a cheap plastic key chain. However if Six Flags, which I worked for three years, does offer them then perhaps I could have the film inserted in a classic Stanhope? However I would like it to be black and white.

I will look into it. I have a few connections with six flags. Thank yo Pele, you got me to thinking. It could be easier to contact your friend. Thanks, again.

I just want it to be a pretty gift. She is a classy lady and deserves the best.

Thanks everyone,

Will
Some are born idiots.

Some are made idiots.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Searching for a Novelty (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL