The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Ventriloquist Course (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
As a full time professional children's performer who averages abiut 400 shows per year, I have finally come to the conclusion that it's time for me to add a puppet to my show and start doing ventriloquism. This has been an idea that I have pondered with for years. Last week during my library show, I was honored to meet a great ventriloquist from out of state who was awesome. Of course he was not open to any suggestions.

I am aware that Steve Taylor has some material on the subject as well as Maher Studios in Oklahoma and of course Axtell Expressions. I would like to add this into my show by nect year but of course need to learn as much as I can. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

What really inspires me is the fact that you can burn up half of your show with a puppet and this makes your setup and breakdown time very short.

What I am really interested in is finding some educational skits that for schools and libraries. Again, any help is greatly appreciated!
Creative Coach
View Profile
Loyal user
Anderson, SC
294 Posts

Profile of Creative Coach
You mentioned the best! Maher Studios, Steve Taylor & Mark Wade.

Good Luck,
John
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Steve Taylor's great videos or DVDs make it clear what you must do to become a vent. It does require developing a character voice and lots of practice. He explains all of this.
Dennis Michael
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Axtell expressions would also be a source for learning.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
Thanks to all who have responded so far. I am cautious about what I buy as I have been "taken" on many so called "courses."

I am curious if any other magician has recently added ventriloquism into their show and how it went the first few times. I was considering going with Axtell's AXTRAX but really want something original. There is no telling how many other people out there are presenting the same thing when you buy a already made program.

Steve Taylor always puts out quality and he is a great guy which I have had the honor of meeting a few times. Just was not sure if his course covered everything from just starting out or if the others were more detailed.

This is not something I am going to put into my show next week. I want to have a great script down, know my lines, be able to work the puppet, etc. etc.

Any ideas or suggestions by anyone here is appreciated!
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Hi Todd,

I recently purchased the Maher course. It looks like a joke when you get it in the mail but I'll tell you, the stuff works. I worked the program for about a month and the first time I took it in front of an audience that puppet had a life of it's own.

The Maher course does not give you a lot of practice dialog. If you can find old Orben books the double routines from them work great in practice with your figure.

I am also starting slow. I am using a hand puppet for a very short bit in my show, about 45 seconds. Coming up with that 45 seconds was a lot of work. I saw Jeff Dunham not too long ago and my respect for what he does was magnified by 1000 after finding out just how hard it is.

Believe it or not, getting your lips not to move while the figure is talking is the easiest part of the vent experience in my opinion. Developing the dialog and timing while working with your partner in the double act is tough stuff. Because in reality that is what you are doing. You are a one man Abbott and Costello or Burns and Allen. For some reason that was a blinding flash of the obvious when it struck home.

Anyway, I am still new to vent and the Maher course was all it was cracked up to be even though the packaging looked like my old Charles Atlas course that I got when I was a kid from the back of a spider man comic.

I am also about to purchase the Steve Taylor stuff, all of it. I met him this past winter at a lecture he did and this guy is a 200% entertainer. 100% show and 100% business. What a pro, I was super impressed and I didn't even see him work his figure.

So that's my two cents from a guy who isn't too much further along than you are. Recently added, and it KILLS.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Axtell Puppets and their sound tracks are great. It's like the Hippy Hop Rabbits, the Kids enjoy them every time they see them. Steve Axtell sent me his how to write a script and with that I wrote a comedy routine for my Rodney Rabbit. I wanted to get another voice for Rodney so I could make a CD, like Axtell. This is the easyist way to go.

Steve Taylor has a couple of CDs for Vents, On I like had to do with the Dewey Decimal System.

What ever way you go, Steve Axtell has the best puppets.

Now if you are serious of becoming a vent, that requres a lot of time, practice and understanding. Steve Taylor's videos do that for you.

Sammy Smith has Puff the magic Rabbit routine which has always been a big hit with the kids. It's another avenue to consider. It's On his Magic Ingredient DVD.
Dennis Michael
Joseph_Then
View Profile
Special user
747 Posts

Profile of Joseph_Then
As a working ventriloquist, I would highly recommend the course from Maher Studio.

It's only $99 (I think so) and it has rich source of information.

Get puppets from Axtell, it's the best so far.
Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
"Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom." - Anonymous
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1020 Posts

Profile of Quentin
The biggest problem magicians have with doing vent is they are overly self-conscious about people looking at their lips. This self-consciousness only attracts people to looking at your lips. It's like palming a card. Your guilt gives you away.

While technical vent skill is important, the real skill is in the animation and character of the puppet. If you get that right nobody cares of your lips move. If you don't believe me just look at video clips of Edgar Bergen.

This isn't an excuse for sloppy techique. Obviously it's better if your lips don't move. Your success will depend on the character and animation of the puppet.

And please DO NOT use pre recorded sound tracks. Some swear by them but they're taking the lazy way out. And each time they do a show they are subconsciously reminding themselves that they are not talented enough to do it properly.

And you can tell your clients that you are a true vent and you don't use pre-recorded tracks like others in your area.
Ste
View Profile
New user
Italy
70 Posts

Profile of Ste
Hi to all. I've just read all the post as also for me is quite curious the art of ventriloquism and I'd like to learn the BASE, the beginning. I read about the course you mentioned.... one simple and probably stupid question (from a beginner on vent): I'm from Italy... the DVD couse are in American/English language. For my understanding I think it's not matter the "language" itself for learning ventr? Is that righ? Can I apply all the learning course to Italian? Thanks! Ste
todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
Thanks again!

I am going to order the Maher course as well as Steve Taylor's stuff. I figure I can't go wrong by getting both.

For me, I am interested in the vent. act because it's one more thing to add to my list of available services. Since my primary market is school, library and church shows and since I only do kid shows, I see it as a must and also as a way of even more respect in the children's market. What do I mean?

As we all know there are many many many people out there that call themselves a magician because they can do a cool card trick or coin trick. This no more makes them a great magician than it does me an excellent singer, which by the way I don't do. I think the vent. thing does take skill and a lot of practice which I am dedicated to do. I want to be the guy that not only does magic, live animals, levitations, etc. but also puppets.

I am very excited about this and cannot wait to get started.
Whitewolfny
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of Whitewolfny
Hi Ste,
I think you are right. The basic idea of ventriloquism applies to any language. What will change is how you pronounce the alphabet or letter combinations. You will have to develope sound substitutes for Italian words which may be different than what we in America might use. Otherwise, what is being said here about practice, moving the figure, making it come alive all apply in any language. Good luck.
Braxton Mannar
<BR>Just an old dog trying to learn new tricks Smile
Joseph_Then
View Profile
Special user
747 Posts

Profile of Joseph_Then
Agreed.

I can do it pretty well in Mandrian (Chinese language). Smile
todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
Well, I did it- I ordered both the maher course and Steve Taylor's course as well. I have my eye on a puppet from Axtell that I may be getting.

Thanks to all who responded to this post. I will let you know what I think of the course. After much research, I was told by many many many people that Maher's course is the best. We will have to see!
Joseph_Then
View Profile
Special user
747 Posts

Profile of Joseph_Then
Quote:
On 2005-06-28 05:26, todd75 wrote:
After much research, I was told by many many many people that Maher's course is the best. We will have to see!

You don't have to see. It IS the best. Period. Smile
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Welcome to the wonderful world of puppets.

Last week the Nearly Normal Puppets, were featured in nine (9) Laughology Programs.

If anyone would like a character worksheet for your puppet(s) I will send you one.

Email me at

Harris.deutsch@leesummit.k12.mo.us

It is not mine, and I got it from a great resource for vents.

It is on yahoo groups.

World/Vents hosted by figure maker Conrad Hartz.

Steve Axtell and other creators also contribute.

Mr. Axtell has a great bit on non verbal stuff with your puppet.

Having the audience connect with the puppet before it opens it's mouth is a plus.(IMHO)

Nigel and I will be sharing next week in Boston during the Society of American Magician's Conference. "We" will be part of a panel of the Freedom from Drugs Program.

Enjoy the journey.

Harris Deutsch
Laughologist and Nearly Normal Ventriloquist
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Ventriloquist Course (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL