The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Steve Spill DVD - Review request (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
928 Posts

Profile of Martino
Just seen this on the Hocus Pocus website. It seems to be a combination of 2 earlier videos. Does anyone have either this new DVD or the earlier videos and can review them?

Thanks,

Martin.
"There's a difference between not knowing how something is done and knowing it can't be done!" - Simon Aronson
Bob Kohler
View Profile
Special user
704 Posts

Profile of Bob Kohler
I've known and worked with Steve Spill since 1984. To me, Steve's one of the real workers that many of you may not be familiar with.

Steve a rare magic/comedic genius. He's worked everywhere and currently stars in his own show at Magicopolis in Santa Monica, CA. If you're in the area make sure you check him out.

His new DVD "10 Years Of Steve Spill 1980-1990" is a collection of amazing clips of many of Steve's classic routines he's used as a top pro. The footage is high quality of Steve's live performances in all types of working situations including his TV appearances. There are 29 separate items. It's packed!

The routines are not explained but you'll learn a ton from watching how a top pro puts his routines together. There's also a audio commentary with Steve that gives his personal insights etc.

For me, it's a walk down memory lane. I first met Steve when he starred in the show at the Brooke Farm Inn of Magic with Bob Sheets. It was one of the best shows I've ever seen. I watched and learned as Steve was creating many of the routines on the DVD. A couple of my personal favorites are his Needle Swallowing routine, The Mindreading Goose and Blood From a Stone. He's just funny.

Personally, I think this is a must buy...you'll learn a lot more from Steve's new DVD than almost all of the usual "explained" DVD's out there. Highest recommendation.

PS: A couple of his routines will be released later this year.
www.bobkohlermagic.com

Home of the BK Pro Line
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
If you like comedy magic, especially deadpan comedy magic this is your kinda DVD!!! Like Mr. Kohler said it is packed with Mr. Spill's material being performed and there is an interesting segment on the begininngs of Magicopolis.

Some of the comedic moments on this DVD are really funny and quite clever.

Now that Murphy's Magic Supplies is carrying it I'm sure it will be available through most people's favorite (local) sources. If your dealer doesn't have it tell them to contact:

Murphy's Magic Supplies, Inc.
11500 Gold Dredge Way
Rancho Cordova, Ca. 95742
Toll Free Order Line: 1-800-853-7403
Or visit Murphy's website:
http://www.murphysmagicsupplies.com

Cheers,

Tom
Tim Trono
View Profile
Inner circle
1114 Posts

Profile of Tim Trono
This DVD is a real lesson in performing stage magic. Although it doesn't teach per say it is a true joy to watch and one will learn a LOT. This is the material Steve used to make a living and material that made him one of the underground guys everyone was talking about. I saw Steve perform live years ago and he was doing stuff light years ahead of others. Even watching him at the time was a lesson in performing, comedy, and just strong magic thinking. Make sure when you watch this DVD to watch it with commentary. Highly recommended.

Tim Trono
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
In the 1980's, I worked with Steve Spill (and Bob Sheets and others) for years at the Brook Farm Inn of Magic so I witnessed him perform 100's of times for real people. Steve is an unusually talented magician from every standpoint imaginable--technical chops, routining, creativity, humorous presentation, you name it. The needle and goose routines that Bob Kohler mentioned were absolute killers, as was Steve's bill in lemon routine, his paper balls over the head routine (performed with Bob Sheets and incorporating some John Kennedy ideas), his close-up card work, his everything!
isaacfawlkes
View Profile
Loyal user
FL
256 Posts

Profile of isaacfawlkes
Is this DVD a remake of the video that Jeff Busby put out (Steve Spill Video Scrapbook) or is it an update with added material? The spill scrapbook is a fantastic video and I would highly recommend it to anyone that wants to see a creative genius work.
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
With the comments of Bob Kohler, Tom Cutts, Tim Trono, and Larry Davidson; how can there be any doubt that this DVD is a worthwhile investment for anyone looking for insight into the world of Comedy Clubs. Further, watching Steve Spill's easy-going style is a lesson in doing good magic and making it hard-hitting!

Do yourself a favor and purchase this disk from YFD or Steve directly at http://www.magicopolis.com

Also keep your eyes peeled for other DVD projects coming from Steve Spill. He plans on releasing his work on the Needles and the Bill in Lemon.

Respectful regards,

Paul Green

PS I receive no consideration for the above statements. Steve is my friend, but the material is still first-rate!!!
toe to the mas
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of toe to the mas
Hi,
My name is Tomas Medina. I'm the guy on the Geek Magic DVD. Anyways, I "heart" this DVD. I own this on both VHS and DVD. More magicians should release stuff like this. Even though it's only a collection of performances, you will watch this over and over again. No joke.

Steve's a very funny guy. Watch this, laugh, learn, and wish you were him. In fact, steve's performance of the needle trick is worth the price of the DVD alone. How does he do it? Probably magic.

All in all, watching this DVD is kind of like getting kicked in the face by a horse........but in a good way. Two "thumb-tips" way up!!!!
Jeffrey Cowan
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles, CA
130 Posts

Profile of Jeffrey Cowan
I echo the comments of Messrs. Kohler, Davidson and Green. Steve made a handsome living for years with this material, and it is (1) very entertaining, and (2) highly original.

Even better, the DVD has an option to watch the tricks with audio commentary from Steve. Steve's explanation of his thought process and the history of his material is both fascinating and insightful, and should be invaluable to anyone looking to create new material that reflects his own personality.

-- Jeffrey Cowan
MopKrayz
View Profile
Elite user
423 Posts

Profile of MopKrayz
I would encourage magic companies that when they release a dvd made from a past vhs they make sure that the picture video quality is good and not horrible as in this case Smile
Seth
View Profile
Special user
566 Posts

Profile of Seth
Paul, how do I buy the dvd from the website? magicopolis? I can't find a link...

Strange I was just reading Jamy Ian Swiss' book and thinking of picking up the video scrapbook...oooh, synchronicity....
JoshuaMichael
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of JoshuaMichael
I just saw the live show at magicopolis,great show, imagine my surprise when I came home with this DVD and all the material was completely different than the two hour show. This guy has a ton of A material, but the DVD is performance only. Anyone know if there is any Spill instructional material available? I called magicopolis and they did not stock any but said there may be some out-of-print books. Help???
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
If I recall, back in the '70's, Steve put out a book called, I believe, " The Spill Bar & Grill". Anyway, a lot of the material he was known for was explained.

Most likely, it's out of print, but someone may know if it's obtainable somewhere. ( Denny's, maybe? )
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-09-01 20:35, NicholasD wrote:
If I recall, back in the '70's, Steve put out a book called, I believe, " The Spill Bar & Grill". Anyway, a lot of the material he was known for was explained.

Most likely, it's out of print, but someone may know if it's obtainable somewhere. ( Denny's, maybe? )

You can write Steve Spill direct and ask him. If he doesn't have it, he may be able to direct you.

Steve's e-mail: nfo@magicopolis.com
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Steve Spill DVD - Review request (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL