The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Lighter trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

pedrothegreat
View Profile
New user
Southampton - UK
50 Posts

Profile of pedrothegreat
I was shown a trick with a lighter a while ago which impressed me. It was a lighter which was plain on one side and had a picture on the other. He then made the picture "magically" disappear so both sides appeared blank. He then made it the picture appear on both sides.
At the time I worked out that he was obvioulsy showing the same side twice in a way that appeared he was showing different sides. However I never figured out how to execute it.
Can anyone tell me how this is done, or at least where I can find out. although its simple I thought it was a quick and effective, and one I think would be a good opener with a close up routine.
pedrothegreat

Never underestimate the stupidity of the general public

don't have a magic website but i have a cool car styling website at www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1230 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
Please, in these forums do not ask about methods or an effect. To find out more about it, purchase a hotrod.
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Yes, the Hot rod and the color changing knifes are the two most commonly known effects that use the method you want to learn to do the trick with the lighters.

Incidentally, if you like that trick with the lighter then after you learn it there's something in one of my PDF downloads called (BAR TAB) there is a trick called "Bic Sticker" This trick might interest you. It takes the trick you described to another level.

I must warn you though. My E-book does not teach how to do the move required to do the trick you described. I show how to make a gimmick that makes the trick better but you'll need to know the basics first or you won't understand it. So pick up a Hot rod (They aren't expensive) to learn the basic principle needed.

Good luck!

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
pedrothegreat
View Profile
New user
Southampton - UK
50 Posts

Profile of pedrothegreat
Hi Guys

Thanks for your suggestions.

Corey - Sorry I think you misunderstood me, although with good reason. I wasn't asking for step by step instructions (i admit after re-reading the post it does look that way). I was just looking for an answer along the lines of, it is a move called X, found in X book or X DVD or originating from X item. Sorry for my poor choice of sentence. Thankyou for your advice with the hotrod. I shall get one and learn.

Jaxon - I shall certainly be getting your 'Bar Tab' e book. Looks great, just the sort of tricks I like. I like the camera card freebie you have. Not so great with forces yet but will have to practice for that one.
pedrothegreat

Never underestimate the stupidity of the general public

don't have a magic website but i have a cool car styling website at www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
I just realized the name of the move hasn't been mentioned yet. The move is called "The paddle Move." Like we already said, the two most popular tricks that use the move are the Hot rod and the color changing knifes. Many other effects use to move as well. So many that most instruction don't give away the entire method. They just say "Perform the paddle move." So I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding a source to learn it.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Hi pedrothegreat, if you enjoy The Paddle Move effect on an ordinary cigarette lighter, try checking out Jay Sankey's SANKEYLIVE dvd. He has a routine titled Seeing Red where stickers appears, disappear and expand in size on the lighter!
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Incidentally, the Paddle Move is often found in the most basic of children's magic sets. This is a tribute to its effectiveness since the above mentioned tricks are used by professionals all the time.

A trip to the library might also be helpful, look for a trick that uses little pieces of paper and a kitchen butter knife - it goes by different names so just thumb through and if you see this illustrated, you have found what you are looking for.

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
A great book for biginners that also has the move is Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic. Well worth it if you are just starting out. It has something of everything.
Yours,

Ivan
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Yes. Mark Wilsons Complete Course in Magic is the way to go. It teaches the paddle move, and tons and tons of other gret tricks. Cups and balls, Multiplying Balls, Sponge balls, coins across, 4 coin assembly, color changing decks. Those are just a few that I use. For 30 bucks, you cant go wrong. I just went to my local Chapters and it was there. I think it was one of the best books I bought, and still reference to it today. BUY IT!!!!!!
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
There is a trailer on David Stones Quit Smoking DVD of a lighter routine by Jean-Luc Bertrand called No Smoking which is now commercialy available. Do a search as there is a thread on it. I believe this is exactly what you ask for in your 1st post in this thread.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Lighter trick (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL