The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups á la Wonder (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

vinkelhaken
View Profile
Regular user
Sweden
179 Posts

Profile of vinkelhaken
What cups would you recommend for Tommy Wonder's two cup routine?
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
There isn't any special requirement of the cups for Tommy Wonder's two cup routine other than the cups must be big enough to take that last surprise load (after all, you don't want to have to jam it in there, and you don't really want it hanging out half way). So, I guess the short answer is .. any set with at least 2 cups Smile

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
You can use any cup that the last load will fit into. It doesn't matter if a bit of the last load shows from under the cup. Tommy discusses this on the dvd.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2005-06-30 09:52, magicman845 wrote:
There isn't any special requirement of the cups for Tommy Wonder's two cup routine other than the cups must be big enough to take that last surprise load (after all, you don't want to have to jam it in there, and you don't really want it hanging out half way). So, I guess the short answer is .. any set with at least 2 cups Smile

Kent

Yes there are some special requirements. You must have a cup that is tall enough to hold two of the woolen balls, but narrow enough that only one of them will rest on the spectator's hand.

Next trip you make to the Pierian Spring, drink a bit more deeply.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
The balls Tommy Wonder recommends are also larger than the standard ball. You'll want to make sure the cups you choose have enough attic space for a ball this size. You'd think that would eliminate the Bertram cups, for instance, but I think I have seen this routine done with them, but that required slightly more compresible pom-pons.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Ron gieseke here at the Café makes those balls for the wonder routine.
they take a long time to make so make sure you fund him appropriately.

I've not seen him here in a while so you might want to email him.

frank

maybe the galli galli cups. they're kind of tall, aren't they?
or the riser traditionals?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The Galli-Galli cups would require a very large ball, compared to the ones that Tommy made. Originally, he used the Paul Fox cups. The sets he sold used cups made by Morrissey.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

vmendoza
View Profile
Elite user
Farmingdale. New Jersey
430 Posts

Profile of vmendoza
I met Tommy Wonder back in the late 80's at the Steven's Magic Symposium and we corresponded for a while. I’ve used his cup and balls routine since. I’ve tried most of the other routines that have come down the pike, but in my opinion, none compare.

There are no special requirements for the cups themselves. It's the pom-poms that need to be made to fit the cups, not the other way around. Tommy doesn't recommend using larger balls, but rather using balls in correct proportion to the cups you are using. It is impossible to get any of the loads "stuck" or "hung up" inside the cups. It doesn't matter if the load sticks out of the cup.

It doesn’t matter what kind of cups you use, provided that they are comfortable for you to work with. I’ve made up three sets for myself in the past two decades and it’s very easy to do. Tommy gives you details on how to go about it.

All you need is some cardboard, some yarn, some material and a rope gimmick and you’re set. You can custom make the pom-poms to fit your cups.

Unlike previously posted, it doesn’t take that long to make. My current set consisting of two 1½ inch bright orange pom-poms, one 3 inch blue pom-pom, a bight red pouch with blue piping to match the ball, complete with necessary accoutrements took roughly two hours to complete.

I know that Tommy suggests using more subdued colors for the pouch and large pom-pom, but he routined everything so perfectly that no one even notices.

At one function, I had two grown men follow me to three different tables, besides the one they sat at, to watch me perform. The timing and misdirection built into the routine is so strong that even after seeing it four times, they still missed the loads.

In my opinion, this is the perfect cup and ball routine.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The basic rule for making a ball for this routine is to make a ball that has a slightly larger diameter than the radius of the cup. If you have a ball that is the same size as the radius of the cup or smaller, then the two balls as one idea won't work.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I think Tommy's routine is the most original I've ever seen. So many of us (myself included) do a version of Vernon's because it's the first one we've learned. It's a great routine. Even those who have award winning routines like Ammar and Williamson use the almost all too familiar tip-over load. The first time I saw Wonder's routine I was fooled badly! Even though I'd read the routine years earlier. I constantly miss the load of the bag at the end. It'd be neat to have the props made and experiment with it for table hopping. It's perfect for that with no extra loads. Anyone know who would make the bag with the special release as well?
Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
928 Posts

Profile of Martino
I currently have a set of pompoms and bag on order from Tommy himself. He will make them and sell to you but be prepared to wait a looooooooooong time. He's a very busy man!
"There's a difference between not knowing how something is done and knowing it can't be done!" - Simon Aronson
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1142 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
It is not necessary to bother Tommy with this. Go to a fabric store and get the name of a seamstress and they will make the bag easily. If it's the wrong size they can crank out another one in less than a day - they are that fast. Then have them make the "rope" that attaches to the pom pom. You're not going to believe how cheap it is to have this done. For you and I it would be impossible, but these ladies love to have some project to work on and these bags are nothing (to them) to make. It's the pom poms that are the pain. Make them over-sized, then place them in the cup for size and slowly trim them down to fit your particular cup. I use the standard sized Rings and Things cups. They work perfect.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups á la Wonder (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL