The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Portable stage (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

FacadeTheStiltBoy
View Profile
Elite user
Greensboro NC
474 Posts

Profile of FacadeTheStiltBoy
I managed to get a portable stage for uber cheap, but I gotta repaint this ugly thing, got any ideas on what I should do? I figure that I could bring it with that way I can also get a band booked for the event and the promoters would be happy that they would also have a stage to use for the event.

Part of me wants to decorate it like some scenerey from the ship on Aliens, the stage from some of the old Skinny Puppy tours ect.

The least I'm goign to do though is paint it flat black though and go from there.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18036 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Flat Black! Not all "Gigs" will require an "Alien" style stage. Consider skirting the stage...also black. A little classier. You may also want to rough the surface of the stage prior to painting it, or adding something to the paint to increase traction. Or just carpet it.
Dave
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1958 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
I always liked rubber stages. They don't get scratched and paint doesn't come off onto them as easily as wood. You won't slip, yet casters roll like a dream!

I second the vote for black as well. You can always get a big green roll out carpet for the alien stuff!

Break a leg!

-Chris.
David Bilan
View Profile
Special user
Clarksville, TN
714 Posts

Profile of David Bilan
Black is the way to go, with glow tape on the edges (not for the audience, for the performers). You can add bunting or banners to the front, but the stage floor should not distract the eye from the talent.

:magicrabbit:
Yes, I am a magician. No I did not make my hare (hair) disappear... it just took early retirement.
FacadeTheStiltBoy
View Profile
Elite user
Greensboro NC
474 Posts

Ok cool.

I was actually still thinking like a dark concrete grey with black edging, making it look like a landing/loading platform. Camo netting around the edges would work too to break things up, also to hide sound and lighting depending on if I also do any funky soundwork or a DJ set afterwards.

I do though like the idea of a rubberised texture for the stage, but I'm just wondering how slippery it would be while wet.

Glow tape is kind of hard to come by as well, but I'm sure that I could find something that would work just as well.

Well I gotta get running, since I have a day off tomarrow I gotta build a new equipment case since the last one fell apart on me.

Thanks for the input and I'll be sure to throw up some pictures of the finished product.

Art Vs Mayhem
David Bilan
View Profile
Special user
Clarksville, TN
714 Posts

Profile of David Bilan
Thanks to the internet, glow tape is easy to come by.

Click here

Or here

It's not expensive and can save you the embarrassment (or worse) of falling off the stage.

:magicrabbit:
Yes, I am a magician. No I did not make my hare (hair) disappear... it just took early retirement.
FacadeTheStiltBoy
View Profile
Elite user
Greensboro NC
474 Posts

Thanks for the link, also possibly aluminum tape would work in a pinch as well.
eyebuildillusions
View Profile
New user
Fairview Park , Ohio
29 Posts

Profile of eyebuildillusions
A friend of mine works ammusement parks. And in between shows it rains sometimes,
so we came up with a better idea than getting out of breath trying to squeegee
before showtime call. we broke down his stage platform and used spray on bed liner.
lots of grip even when wet its been 6 years and still looks new. not even sun faded
here is what we used: http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/produ......=10258ZP

maybe just an idea to consider?
"Give them a good show and they will gladly pay the price of admission.”
FacadeTheStiltBoy
View Profile
Elite user
Greensboro NC
474 Posts

Nice!

I just need a good non slippery surface because I will be on stilts on the stage.

That and something that won't melt from spilled fuel.

but that is a really good idea. If you don't mind me asking, how much would something like that run?
eyebuildillusions
View Profile
New user
Fairview Park , Ohio
29 Posts

Profile of eyebuildillusions
We found that we got just about 40 sq ft. out of that kit if I remember right, that stage is maybe 10ft by 20ft roughly 200 sq the price on the web site is 170. per kit when we did it it was right around 800.00 it was right around 135.00per when we did it so I would guess you'll be right at 1000.00 for a stage of the same size. I'm sure you can find it for less out there but I know this stuff is killer
it really looks new after 6+years. Since its in the sun 5 months out of the year
it really gets beat but it does hold up. if you can find it cheaper just rent a compressor and a gun and you'll be set to go.
"Give them a good show and they will gladly pay the price of admission.”
Pele
View Profile
New user
State of Bliss, USA
29 Posts

Profile of Pele
Do a google for Rhino Spray Bedliner. It is easy, black, very durable and a bit course for non-slip but liquids roll off it like a dream.
I used to be a member of a sport truck club and a lot of the guys use this to line their beds. I also think it is a bit cheaper than the tintable one posted.

One word of caution...wear protective gear when putting *any* kind of bed-liner on anything. If you get it on your skin, the only way to get it off is by waiting for your skin to naturally slough.

I do peg stilts and would have no reservations walking on this stuff.

The other thing you can do was used on the install at our local water park. They mixed a fine grade sand into the paint itself, and used an all weather paint on the stairs. It reduced slipping greatly and didn't wear off as quickly as standard paint. Of course Slim King is right in that you want to rough the stage and also prime it for added element protection.

Just so you know, day-glo or various colored duct tape is available at Walmart in narrow rolls pretty cheap as well.

Hope this helps.
If, of all the truths in the world, you choose one and follow it blindly, it becomes a falsehood and you a fanatic.
FacadeTheStiltBoy
View Profile
Elite user
Greensboro NC
474 Posts

Thanks Pele, hey by the way about your stilts, did you build your own or get some custom built for you?
Pele
View Profile
New user
State of Bliss, USA
29 Posts

Profile of Pele
Facade, I made them. I have about 4 different designs here, and I've tried out several others over time. I took what I liked of each and made my own, as well as sets for my son and for the people in my troupe. These are something I prefer to make rather than purchase because when it comes to repairs and replacing, I know *exactly* what I need to do and where to get the parts I need. This way I am also garunteed a perfect fit. I have known too many people who have ordered pegs and had them not fit properly, even though they were supposedly "custom made".
If, of all the truths in the world, you choose one and follow it blindly, it becomes a falsehood and you a fanatic.
FacadeTheStiltBoy
View Profile
Elite user
Greensboro NC
474 Posts

I know about the custom thing, it is really hard. I actually screwed up a couple of times with measurements on building my first street luge. (I'm a welder by the way)

Did you make yours out of wood or aluminum? (I'm considering just welding up a set)

But I kind of might want to argue a bit. I'm a big fan of the durastilts, becuase they have lasted through nasty spill, fall, mosh pits and odd scooter riding stunts and have not failed me one bit. And the best thing is I can find replacement parts at most places across the US.

That and I'm afriad that the wooden ones would just break on me. (I'm fiarly rough on equipment unfortunatly)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Portable stage (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL