The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Newcomer to resturaunt magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicmason07
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of magicmason07
In a a short time I'm going to be an assistant to a resturaunt magician. I'm 13 and will most like ly help him with routines and demonstrate tricks he is selling. He may let me tablehop a little by myself but mostly I will be assisting him. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions about routines, dress, or anything else.
sup i love the stinky cheese a lot i mean a lot you cant imagine how much i love it
Alym Amlani
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1464 Posts

Profile of Alym Amlani
Hi Magicmason - you've come to the right place.

Start by using the search button at the top of your screen as it will help you tremendously in finding information.

Alym
Logic Defied
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21242 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Congratulations on your enthuseasm. (wow spell check that one!) Although my first question is did you write you are going to be an assistant to a restaruant magician? I am just a bit confused about what such a thing may even be. I don't understand how he is selling tricks in a place that sells food. As far as mostly assisting him.....that really is confusing. I hope your trying to say he will be sort of mentoring you which can be an amazing opportunity to learn.

As far as what to wear I believe almost everyone here will tell you you really need to dress sharp. Make sure it is clear you are the "performer" not the bus boy. This is essential. Dress better than the patrons you are working for. Make yourself stand out in their mind and know you are something special on sight. This also avoids sticky situations of people asking you for more water, or other bus boy functions.

Routines become a matter of taste mostly. The person mentoring you may be better suited to help you in this area.

Good Luck

Danny
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
magicmason07
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of magicmason07
Hey,
Danny you said it better by saying its kind of a mentoring thing. Yes, I do need to do a spell check; I can’t type if you haven’t noticed. What he does is go to restaurants like Golden Corral and Barnhills. There he tablehops doing tricks and has a table set up where he sells packet tricks and others like invisible decks. I would be there to do some table-hopping and then demonstrate tricks he is selling. Pretty much anything I can do that he needs doing. I will be getting paid and getting tons of magic advice and free stuff from his shop.
sup i love the stinky cheese a lot i mean a lot you cant imagine how much i love it
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21242 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Wow cool gig. And by the way I meant spellcheck MY work not yours. Doing this sounds cool, get all the advice you can, it is worth way more than most people think.

Good luck

Danny
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I think it's kind of wrong to sell quality magic in restaurants such as the invis deck. You can't do the tricks if you're also selling them there. I'm just not a fan of having John Q Public having access to many of magic's greatest tricks without actually having to go to a magic shop and talk with some people first.
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
Agreed - an ID should not be given away lightly - and how can you perform with an item that you've just told people the secret to?

Please ask him to reconsider selling the tricks, but enjoy the mentoring.

Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
MagicMason07,

I've never heard of pitching decks in a restaurant setting. I am surprised the management would allow this.

The Svengali deck is the more common pitch item. I would be disappointed if you are pitching invisible decks.

By the way, what is the name of your friend's magic store? Where is it?

Best,
James
magicmason07
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of magicmason07
Hey,
Once again I am lacking in exact knowledge on this gig. I found out about this guy through a friend and I personally have never met him. He pitches beginner’s magic tricks and I only said invisible decks be cause that was the first thing that came to mind. I think a Svengali would be more of the type of thing he pitches and as far as I know the management has no problems with him selling these things. I really don't think he sells high-end tricks at all but he does have a magic shop he runs for real magicians. This shop is not for little kids in golden corral. I'm pretty sure I would just be performing some of the tricks he’s selling before he starts pitching. Hope that clears up a good bit of confusion.
Posted: Jul 4, 2005 11:44pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One more question. I need some help with my routines. The tricks I have and use are the m5 magnet with all the vanishes and other assorted things you can do with it<linking lifesavers, I am pretty good with invisible thread, I have liquid metal from Strebler and can do the first phase of it, I have Jason Dean and John Borns card and coin magic 3 DVD set, I am really good with cards and forces so almost any intermediate card trick I can do if you tell me how, I also have and know the three shell game. Mainly I'm a card worker and I use my m5 a lot too so those should play important roles in my routines. Keep in mind for the m5 I will be wearing long sleeves for sure so there’s no problem concealing it. Any ideas are helpful and thanks in advance.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Newcomer to resturaunt magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL