The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Homemade flash cotton? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magic_kris
View Profile
Regular user
Louisville, KY
123 Posts

Profile of magic_kris
In high school chemistry class I remember making flash cotton. Or maybe the teacher made it for a demo.

Does anyone know the recipe and if it is safe to produce at home?

Thanks

--Kris
Magicman0323
View Profile
Special user
Just outside parts unknown.
713 Posts

Profile of Magicman0323
Let me see if I can answer your question ...

Yes, I know how to make flash cotton/paper

No I will not teach you the recipe for the following reasons.

1-It's a lot cheaper to buy it

2-It's a lot SAFER to buy it

I'm not trying to be mean or anything, so please don't take it the wrong way. However I'm a FF/EMT and I can tell you from experience both to myself and others that it isn't worth the risk of being burned just to save a few bucks! Smile

I'm sure if you have used anything flash (paper/string/cotton) then you know how fast and easy that stuff burns. It really isn't worth the risk at all. Plus it's not really that safe to store at home, I do TONS of fire magic. However not even I, keep flash paper/cotton/string around the house as I don't want anyone to have any accidents. Do me, the other members of the Cafe, and more importantly yourself the favor and just buy the stuff! Smile

Happy New Year! Smile

"If it looks good, you’ll see it; If it sounds good, you’ll hear it,If it’s marketed right, you’ll buy it; but...if it’s real, you’ll feel it." - Kid Rock
You'll wonder when I'm coming, you'll wonder even more when I'm gone. - Max Malini
magic_kris
View Profile
Regular user
Louisville, KY
123 Posts

Profile of magic_kris
Thanks for the reply. I'm sure I could find the receipe if I really wanted to. Anything can be found on the net given enough time and desire!

That was the point of asking if it was safe to do at home. Again, thanks for setting me straight and letting me know its not worth the effort.

--Kris
Bengi
View Profile
Veteran user
Georgia
309 Posts

Profile of Bengi
A few years ago a friend of mine tried making flash paper at home....he thought it would be cheaper. The stuff ignited and blew the door off his wifes new oven. Luckily no one was hurt.

Buy it....just buy it!!

Bengi Smile
Magicman0323
View Profile
Special user
Just outside parts unknown.
713 Posts

Profile of Magicman0323
Kris - Glad I could help!

*Putting fire helmet on head*

One down, several thousand more to go!

Smile
You'll wonder when I'm coming, you'll wonder even more when I'm gone. - Max Malini
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1143 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
A few years ago a video was created explaining how to make flash paper. The guy was in his back yard with thick rubber gloves on, a face mask, and handled everything with tongs. The chemicals needed were not something that I would want to mess with.

After watching that video, I decided that the cost of flah paper really wasn't that much after all.

Cheers,

Scott Smile
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
Davro
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
319 Posts

Profile of Davro
Just to add my bit to this, I was working at an awards ceremony doing walk round, when a man asked where I bought my flashpaper. I asked him how he knew about flashpaper and it transpired that he owned a pyrotechnic company. He said his company didn’t make flashpaper because the chemicals were a serious carcenogenic. I’m happy to just buy it.!!!
Best Wishes, David
<BR>
<BR>Mid way this way of life we're bound upon, I woke to find myself in a dark wood, where the right road was wholly lost and gone.
piccard
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of piccard
...If you don't know and your not sure of your dilution of the 2 acids needed to make the bath ...DON'T DO IT!!!
...The incorrect mix could explode in your face causing terrible burns... The 2 acids needed both Oxidise rapidly and can explode into flames.. If not handled correctly... Buy it from the dealers ...It's cheap enough...
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
I only have a small amount as I don't use it that often but one day my nefue droped his juce box into my magic box, the juce leiched te acid out of the paper killing:
1 set of spung balls
1 chang bag
the finsh of a hot rod
some silks
my roap to silk
and some other misa. pappers and stuff
that was with 1 1/2 peces in a heavy plastic bag!!
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
The price of a burned body vs the price of purchasing Flash paper. Hmmm, Which is cheaper?
Dennis Michael
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Homemade flash cotton? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL