The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Fantastic Four.....not so Fantastic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of Jordini
I went to see The Fantastic Four yesterday (afterwards I saw BATMAN BEGINS for the second time and it was just as amazing as the first...) and let me just say, that there is definatley nothing fantastic about this movie (and that's the last time I'll use that stupid line).

With Superhero/comic book movies I really feel it's hit or miss, and unfortunatley, it's been leaning more towards the miss side. Daredevil, Electra, Hulk, Hellboy, I'm sure there's more I can't remember at the moment. Sure there's that 2% of people who said "Hey, Daredevil wasn't all that bad" but we know these people. (They're the same people who don't like the really good movies for some crazy reason).

From now on, I have basically been comparing every movie (especially superhero movies) to Batman Begins, because in my opinion, that's true movie making, and that is what going to the movies should feel like. In no way did F4 feel like this. It had a very cheesy movie feel to it, and constantly throught the movie I was thinking to myself, "Self.....isn't convinient how everyone always ends up in the same place together for some unknown reason?" The special effects weren't even that great. They felt cheap, looked cheap, but still cost my friends and me $9.50.

The story is nothing out of the ordinary, and some parts are just downright cheesetastic (in a bad way). Even the soundtrack was boring. Sure there were one or two moments that got a chuckle, and it's still better than Star Wars Attack of the Clones, but it's really not worth $9.50. If you got in for free, you probably wouldn't be dissapointed, because it's free, but I was not happy paying for this movie. If you have to see one movie this summer, see Batman Begins. Even if you DESPISE Batman, see it, it's just plain delicious movie action. If you already saw it, and you're looking for another good movie to see, don't see this one, see Batman Begins...again.
Roland Henning
View Profile
Special user
Kiel, Germany
511 Posts

Profile of Roland Henning
Quote:
On 2005-07-10 15:31, Jordini wrote:
but it's really not worth $9.50.

What the...? 9.50$ In Germany you pay 5.50 $ max.
scott b.
View Profile
Special user
732 Posts

Profile of scott b.
Maybe you were still feeling the high from Batman Begins (which I did not get all gitty over like everyone else is. Thought it was an ok film), so your expectations were higher. Just a small possibility.

Scott
Thanks! Scott B.

"I don't know the key to success . . . but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby
dr chutney
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom
518 Posts

Profile of dr chutney
This is the one Marvel franchise I've been looking forward to. When I began collecting in the late 60's early 70's FF were always the favourites ( with Avengers a close second ). For some strange reason I never got into Spiderman as much, although I still avidly collected most of the Marvel heroes, and yet Spidey 2 has to be the benchmark by which all comic book hero films are measured ( haven't seen Batman Begins yet to compare, although I was always more Marvel than DC ). I've seen the FF trailers and it looks like knockabout fun. I'll reserve full judgement until it reaches my local multiplex.
We're having a laugh!
Grab yourself a FREE Joke Ebook at http://thejester.biz
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I actully like the "thing" coustume better in the unreleased FF movie from the late 80's early 90's. The torch was pretty cool in this one, and I am sure most of us noticed that he only fully "flamed on" at night, which added to the special effects well. Sue Storm's powers are easy and have been done for years, but Reed is a problem. There is just no way to stretch a human out without looking cartoony and ridiculous, and this movie was no exception.

I did not care for Dr. Doom's voice. It was fine when he was Victor, but inside the mask he sounded like a child, not an evil antagonist.

So far, in my book, Batman Begins is the best superhero movie to date.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of Jordini
Quote:
On 2005-07-10 17:29, dr chutney wrote:
This is the one Marvel franchise I've been looking forward to. When I began collecting in the late 60's early 70's FF were always the favourites ( with Avengers a close second ). For some strange reason I never got into Spiderman as much, although I still avidly collected most of the Marvel heroes, and yet Spidey 2 has to be the benchmark by which all comic book hero films are measured ( haven't seen Batman Begins yet to compare, although I was always more Marvel than DC ). I've seen the FF trailers and it looks like knockabout fun. I'll reserve full judgement until it reaches my local multiplex.

I too enjoy The Fantastic Four and I must admit the trailers and hype for this movie LOOKED promising, and I went into this movie with high hopes, but it still was highly dissapointing. This is one of those movies that I really wish was better.
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of Jordini
Quote:
On 2005-07-10 16:07, Roland Henning wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-07-10 15:31, Jordini wrote:
but it's really not worth $9.50.

What the...? 9.50$ In Germany you pay 5.50 $ max.

WOW. The matinee shows here are $6.00... I gotta get out of the bay-area, it's too expensive.
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of Jordini
Quote:
On 2005-07-10 17:13, scott b. wrote:
Maybe you were still feeling the high from Batman Begins (which I did not get all gitty over like everyone else is. Thought it was an ok film), so your expectations were higher. Just a small possibility.

Scott

I went to batman AFTER F4 because I knew that no matter what batman would be better. My expectations were only what the hype for this movie made them. It's ALL hype...all of it.
cardone
View Profile
Special user
860 Posts

Profile of cardone
In New York City movies are $11.00........... coming soon to a theatre near you.!!!!!
scott b.
View Profile
Special user
732 Posts

Profile of scott b.
Quote:
On 2005-07-10 18:41, Jordini wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-07-10 17:13, scott b. wrote:

Scott

I went to batman AFTER F4 because I knew that no matter what batman would be better. My expectations were only what the hype for this movie made them. It's ALL hype...all of it.

But you said that you seen Batman for a second time. My message was intended for the first viewing, not the second.
Thanks! Scott B.

"I don't know the key to success . . . but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby
ImpromptuBoy
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
898 Posts

Profile of ImpromptuBoy
I saw it today and I thought it's great. Ben was the best. It's all about him.
MCM
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
456 Posts

Profile of MCM
Dr. Doom was the most "non-cannon" character in the movie. In the comic he is wearing techno-armor, and with out it he is essentially a powerful occultist/mage. Now, in the comics he RULES Latvaria (SP?), so that should be interesting to see in upcoming films.

The "team chemistry" or lack there of, is straight out of the comic book.

Oh, who else saw Stan Lee Smile
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I forgot to add in my post, that in both this movie and the pervioous low budget one, that Ben threw away his line "It's cloberin time!" that line needs to be yelled as loud as a gravel throated monster can. This baseball game chearing. It isn't grumbled or growled.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2005-07-10 22:46, MCM wrote:
Dr. Doom was the most "non-cannon" character in the movie. In the comic he is wearing techno-armor, and with out it he is essentially a powerful occultist/mage. Now, in the comics he RULES Latvaria (SP?), so that should be interesting to see in upcoming films.

The "team chemistry" or lack there of, is straight out of the comic book.

Oh, who else saw Stan Lee Smile

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I understand he was the mailman. The mailman used to be a semi-regular comic relief in the comic complaining about having to bring the FF their fan mail and wondering if he could join the group with his special power to wiggle his ears!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
cardone
View Profile
Special user
860 Posts

Profile of cardone
I thought the movie was sooo bad it was interesting... The fan 4 only fought one bad guy in the whole movie....wow !!! Doom wasn't such a bad guy ......the acting was so bad it was humorous....I hope they get a better director and script writer for the next one.
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of Jordini
Next one?! I hope not.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Fantastic Four.....not so Fantastic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL