The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Hemming or Serging (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
What is the "standard" type of edge treatment 8 momme magician's silks use?

Thanks,
Richard
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I will stick with double turned flat hems. Most of the better stuff is done that way. It is time consuming and not everyone can do it. Serging is a cheaper way of hemming. It leaves wrapped threads on the edges that can be snagged easily.

Just my opinion.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
My wife usually does a rolled hem which she does by hand. I am not nearly as talented as her so I stick with a double turned flat hem.
A rolled hem is the superior of the two in my opinion as it is less bulky.
Surging is bulky, snags easily and generally looks cheap and awful.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Smooth flat hems make anything else look like a poor choice. Generally they cost a little more but I think you will find that they not only look better, take less space (about 2mm wide but very thin), are much less likely to hang, but also result in a straight edge! That even makes square silks possible! One of the basic qualities to check in magicians' silks is squareness. The best silks are very square. (The obvious lack of squareness is often an indicator of rejects sold by the pound or kilo. Auctions often attract them in large numbers.)

The blanket stitch is the best choice for diamond cut or other shaped silks that cannot be folded with the natural weave of the cloth. However, making diamond cuts from 8 momme silk would totally defeat the purpose of having diamond cut silks. Knots-off silks might be a different story. (Restricted to the holes in the silk.) Blanket-stitching looks like the sewing around a buttonhole. On silks it seems more bulky than on wool and it is much less flexible than the flat hem. Good flat hems are very available today from knowledgeable magic dealers. Just insist on what you want. It's your decision, your money and your show.

Enjoy your silk magic.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
Thanks guys for all the help. The reason I am asking, is I want to learn how to do this for myself. Any suggestions on a good way to learn?

Thanks,
Richard
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
When I started hemming I went to the Kent State Fashion Museum and talked with internationlly known designer Shannon Rogers. He told me to find some "old nuns" that knew how to hand roll it.

The best thing I can tell you is practice and practice and practice. I have never found anyting in print that gave any measurable accurate advice how to do it. Believe me. I have looked.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Just a note about folded versus serger hems. A pin or thread through the silk to hold it secure or lift it will be much less likely to tear through a folded hem that is stitched through than a serger hem. (Remember the old THIS from the 70s and 80s? Serger hems killed it! The newest Improved THIS has good hems and many other improvements.)

If silk is cut diagonal to the weave, serger hemming is about the only choice left!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
rmoraleta
View Profile
Special user
Philippines
767 Posts

Profile of rmoraleta
It would be really nice and a great help if there were pics of the hems mentioned above.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2006-07-07 23:27, rmoraleta wrote:
It would be really nice and a great help if there were pics of the hems mentioned above.

Great question, but I lack the capacity to include the photos. The best I can offer is to suggest that you look at the edge of a bath cloth. This is the way a serger hem looks. It is not for strength or tying. It is just to stop fraying. The thread is wrapped around the edge.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
ftlum
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, CA
730 Posts

Profile of ftlum
Hi All,

Can someone recommend a place where can I buy a 18-24 inch flat-hemmed burgundy silk?

I'm trying to find the right silk to do one of Curtis Kam's routines (in Palms of Steel 1) where, at the end of the routine, he pulls the silk through the center hole of a jumbo Chinese coin. I recently tried using thicker fabric, but it was too thick and wouldn't pull through the hole.

Thanks,

- Frank
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Have you looked into the diamond-cut silks that are available?
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I can make the silk up in 6 or 5 momme in whatever color you require.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2006-09-28 14:00, Frank L. wrote:
Hi All,

Can someone recommend a place where can I buy a 18-24 inch flat-hemmed burgundy silk?

I'm trying to find the right silk to do one of Curtis Kam's routines (in Palms of Steel 1) where, at the end of the routine, he pulls the silk through the center hole of a jumbo Chinese coin. I recently tried using thicker fabric, but it was too thick and wouldn't pull through the hole.

Thanks,

- Frank

Frank,

I think your best answer actually came in two parts. Diamond cuts are more likely to fit through the hole. (A 12" diamond cut silk looks like an 18" square.)

To get the color you want, special dying will be necessary. Richard is a pro at that.

Good luck!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
James Adamson
View Profile
Special user
Deatsville - Holtville - Slapout, AL
945 Posts

Profile of James Adamson
I have seen Richard's work in person and he is the best when it comes to special dying jobs.
Be remembered for performing what looks like MAGIC, not skill.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Hemming or Serging (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL