The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Classics (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MDantes
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1435 Posts

Profile of MDantes
What ever happend to the classics in street magic?

Color changing knife.
Thumb tips.
sponge balls.
spoon bends.

itS ALL about using stooges and what not. any of us could get a special on A&E and really blow the people away.

What happend to sawing a women in half and getting shot out of a cannon?
S.A.N.C.T.U.M Chapter 18

Member 17
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
It's changed, now it's Bloody Color Changing Knives of Doom, Thumb Tips in a Bottle, Sponge Balls from Nostrils and bending a Spoon with Your Butt. Ah progress! ain't it grand? Smile

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
funny_gecko
View Profile
Elite user
436 Posts

Profile of funny_gecko
I still do most of those effects.. like the spoons. and TT and stuff
MDantes
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1435 Posts

Profile of MDantes
Yeah me too. I am still young though, I am only seventeen and I love doing these effects and get big reactions. Don't get me wrong it all great, but still. Steet magic has grown away from its roots. But that is how all the classics got started.
S.A.N.C.T.U.M Chapter 18

Member 17
chrisrkline
View Profile
Special user
Little Rock
965 Posts

Profile of chrisrkline
I thought that the classic routines were the Cups and Balls and Rings. Two of the oldest tricks in the world and have been, and still are, performed on the streets all over the world for thousands of years.
Chris
MDantes
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1435 Posts

Profile of MDantes
Yeah, they still are being done but they are no longer the focus. But that is how bigger and better things come about. I mean you won't see blaine doing the linking rins or Angel doing the cup and balls routine. That is all I am saying. I am not complaining at all. I am happy how far magic has came. I just wonder some times you know? Not to get off on a tangent but, In a sense it is kind of like the willy wonka, ( I know it sounds funny but hear me out.) Look at Johnny Depp, don't you feel at least a little bit of remorse for these little kinds beacuse now most of them will never know the old school willy wonka as Gene Wilder (sp). They only know of Jonney Depp and look how he presented the role. I know it probably doesn't make any sense but, look at the effects today and see how they have changed. I ask myself, whatever happend to using mostly sleight of hand instead of stooges and fake blood etc etc.

Gecko that is cool hommie. You see it is us, the young ones how need to keep it (the classics) alive still

Its late yall. I'm out like that light buld in your laundy room.
S.A.N.C.T.U.M Chapter 18

Member 17
chrisrkline
View Profile
Special user
Little Rock
965 Posts

Profile of chrisrkline
Quote:
On 2005-07-23 02:48, xjesterx wrote:
Yeah, they still are being done but they are no longer the focus. But that is how bigger and better things come about. I mean you won't see blaine doing the linking rins or Angel doing the cup and balls routine. That is all I am saying. I am not complaining at all. I am happy how far magic has came. [snip]

No Blaine and Angel will not do those types of routines. How is that relevant? They are not street magicians.

The cups and balls and rings are the most important routines for a vast number of street magicians, those who really get out there and work, without the cameras and the editing booths. This was true in the past, true today, and probably will be true in the future.

Are you actually talking about how TV "Fake Street Magic" has changed from the "classic" style of Blaine, to the new-fangled magic of Angel?

Note, I think Blaine is a pretty decent magician, and I like some of his work. I don't know that he has ever claimed in the magic community that he was a street magician. He knows the difference between TV and reality. I also don't doubt that the style of magic of Blaine and Angel would do better on TV than most real street magicians.

Actually, the routines you mention are sometimes used on the streets, even by some buskers, but I don't know that any are the focus or should be called classic street routines.
Chris
MDantes
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1435 Posts

Profile of MDantes
No no, please don;t get me wrong, I admire blaine. please don't get frusterated or defensive I was just making conversation
S.A.N.C.T.U.M Chapter 18

Member 17
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Classics (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL