The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Mexico Cruise? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DaveWomach
View Profile
Elite user
Dave Womach
453 Posts

Profile of DaveWomach
Hey Guys,

I was hoping to find out from those of you who have worked ships in Mexico... Will I need to obtain a Mexican CITES permit to be on the ship in Mexico with my cockatoo? I will not be getting the birds off the ship other than in the US at the end of the contract. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Dave
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Dave!

Sounds like a great gig you've got coming up!

You've had no replies thus far, so thought I'd suggest something as I don't have the experience regarding your question. I've had two dogs transported across the boarder, however, - One from the US to Canada and the other from via Hong Kong -Canada. One arrived in a car, the other by plane. Both times I phoned immigration/customs and they put me through the right contact people to find out exactly what paperwork, I needed to be able to do this.

It may be a different criteria with birds and the fact that you'll be on a US ship. For dogs I needed a vet certificate stating they were in good health, recent innoculations and I think that was about it. If I remember the vet certification had to be completed within 3 days of travel. There even exist an agency that deals with paperwork for transborder crossing with animals, I'm told. Don't have any more info about them, though. Just a word of caution..Make sure you know the right info! I was given a lot of incorrect information regarding my dogs from people wanting to be helpful and it's better to get the information first hand from the correct immigration dept. I've heard horror stories of magicians being told they would have to leave their birds at the boarder as they didn't have the correct paperwork done.

The Customs dept even list things that may happen as a result of incompletion of paperwork which may involve quarantine of your pet or destruction. How awful! They also give the advice that you should check with the US consulete in the country you are visiting.

You might want to contact Shawn directly as he has a lot of experience with this and can possibly advise on whom to contact. He's in Japan at the moment, (brief hiatus from his Cruise ship gig), but is great with getting back to those that send him an email.

Wish I could be more helpful and good luck with your gig!

Chrystal
puckmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando, Florida
260 Posts

Profile of puckmagic
Hey Dave,

I did the Mexican Riviera some time ago with my Cockatoo and did aquire a Mexican Cites. The problem was that I applied, and paid for it but didn't get it until after the contract was over. I actually got off the ship with the doves in Acapulco and stayed for 3 days until I caught another ship back. The customs officials just waived me by with only my American Cites permit and health certificates. Concidering your not taking the birds off the ship in Mexico I wouldn't really worry about it. Just drop your paperwork off with the front desk and everything should be ok.

If you want a nightmare Mexico story talk to John Schrock who had his birds confiscated there.

Anyway, let me know if you need anymore info. When I have serious questions like that I talk to Mavrick & Jenny, Mike Rappa, or Amos Levkovitch. They have been great in leading me in the right direction for paperwork and port vets.

Puck
DaveWomach
View Profile
Elite user
Dave Womach
453 Posts

Profile of DaveWomach
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the great info. Puck, do you have John Schrock, Mike Rappa, or Amos' email address? Can you PM me? I have been in Mexico once with my cockatoo, and no problems... however we'll be there for 4 months, maybe even longer. So I'm not sure.

Thanks again!
Dave
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
You might be able to reach Mike Rappa through Murphy's magic. Last I knew he was working there.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Eric Buss
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of Eric Buss
Dave,
Yah, John Shryock had his doves taken from him at the Mexican border... and killed. I then lent him some more to finish the American part of his cruising contract... mine came back unharmed... email me, and I will give you his email address.
dove-boy
View Profile
Special user
Joe Yu (Stage Name)
545 Posts

Profile of dove-boy
Hi Eric Smile

Great to see you here Smileseen your show at Singapore-White Sand, you r great Smile

Opps, John Shryock's dove killed at the Mexican border.....guess this is the worst nightmare a dove worker can expereince Smile

Hmm, just curious is this the reason he sold off his gemini cage? is he still doing dove act now?

Warmest Regards
doveboy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Mexico Cruise? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL