The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Show Music (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2005-07-25 12:34, magicalaurie wrote:
I agree we need to do the right thing. So how should we go about getting permission to use copyrighted music? If you'd prefer to refer me to other threads, that would be fine. What are they? Thanks.

Laurie -

Seek out a copy of the book, "The Professional Amateur", by Toby Travis (the illusionist). In this book, he discusses copyrights, obtaining permission from ASCAP & BMI, etc.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Thanks, Donald. I'll look for it. Even though I like to consider myself a professional professional. Smile
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Hi Laurie,

We're also based out of Ontario. Many of the venues that you might perform in will already have the right to play music through a SOCAN licence.

If they do not, you can obtain one through SOCAN at http://www.socan.ca/ Because you are not using music as your primary form of entertainment, you qualify for a much less expensive licence (about $40.00, as opposed to 3 or 4 hundred dollars plus a percentage of the door) which you purchase in advance of the show.

This can all be avoided if you switch to royalty free music. There are many CD's out there specifically recorded for the magician in mind. Some have full songs on them and others strictly sound effects of short play-ons etc... If you invest $100.00 in some of these CD's it can save you a lot in the long run. And, you'll be doing the right thing.

All the best and just ask if you have any more questions.

Rob
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Interesting post, Rob. I wonder if BMI and ASCAP offer the same moderate use license? It appears tha more research is called for! Tally Ho!
Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
You also can contact the artist directly and somtime they will give you permission to play their music. I did that for a piece of music I use in my snowstorm routine.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Thanks, Rob. I appreciate that. Great advice from everyone. Very helpful thread. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Show Music (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL