The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Patter for spongeballs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DemuMagic
View Profile
New user
Canada
18 Posts

Profile of DemuMagic
Just posting to see all the different types of patter used with spongeballs during kid's shows. Feel free to post any new/creative ideas you have come up with.

I'll start off:
Seeing as both my parents are teachers, and I usually perform for small groups in schools, I begin my spongeball routine that what the math kid's are learning in school is completely wrong (haha). Then I proceed to use the balls as counting tools, and fire off math questions. One ball plus one ball = three. I do a few different vanishes and appearances with that type of patter, then proceed to have a volunteer play some basketball (toss the spongeballs into changebag). I magically switch the balls into ropes, or anything else I will use for my routine and then carry on with the show.

Any others...?
We bring peoples wildest dreams to life
live magic
Whiterabbit
View Profile
Loyal user
Kevin Mc Lean
278 Posts

Profile of Whiterabbit
In my opinion, a nice bit of patter for spongeballs comes from Carl Andrew's "Ain't No Mo", which is on a couple (?) of his DVDs.

It's a nice routine, but not educational. The patter I like. It's light hearted, got a pun or two in it, easy to follow, a fair bit happens, it builds nicely and ends with a punchline. It's probably a two minute routine and plays for most audiences. You can use a couple of volunteers in it.

I guess your own needs dictate if you'd buy a dvd just for a nice sponge routine, but if you can ever see it performed I'd check it out.

Not the most difficult routine, possibly too cute for some, but I think it's got charm.
May your fingers never lose their deftness,

May your tongue always lead them down the garden path...

Regards,

Whiterabbit
elasmac
View Profile
New user
Bristol, VA
54 Posts

Profile of elasmac
When I make SB's dissapear and go to their hands I just tell them the balls really like them.
There are three things I love in life. Family and friends and magic. So I love doing magic for friends and family.

Smile
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Ken Scott has a routine called Peanut Butter and Jelly. You can get the script from his website.

I use the names Peanut, Butter and Jelly for my sponge balls too but the routine is way different.
Daniel Faith
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Uh, that'd be my routine--unless somebody named Ken Scott stole it.

But I no longer have a website. However, the routine is available as a PDF directly from me for $7.50 via Paypal.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
Not mine. Don't see that on my site????

Scott, Ken Scott stole what??
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
That was tongue-in-cheek, Ken. No offense.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Scott's sponge ball routine is wonderful. I bought it, I use it all the time. It kills. I end it a bit differently but it's a great classic structure. Can't be beat. Thanks, Scott. Why no more website?

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Gideon Sylvan
View Profile
Special user
Deerfield, IL
541 Posts

Profile of Gideon Sylvan
I think I saw Scott do this a while ago, and liked it. But the memory is a bit blurry.

Scott, did you ever lecture in Illinois?

As for what I do, I don`t really have patter or a story, I just like to do it as it is and make jokes and funny things.
You know you are a magician when you have boxes full of lecture notes you have never read, but still are excited about going out and buying more.

www.gideonsylvan.com
Mushu
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of Mushu
Scott's PB&J routine is great, but be aware that it works better with super-soft balls, and you'll also need a purse-frame and a certain gimmick that your local magic dealer may not carry.

If you have balls of different sizes, you can do a sponge bunny routine using balls instead of bunnies. You can say they represent microscopic organisms - so you have papa microscopic organism, and mama microscopic organism ...

Or you can hack up your balls a little bit with a pair of scissors and present them as dust-bunnies, at the end showing how they seem to reproduce just like real bunnies.
Mushu
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of Mushu
Just a note to those looking to get into Scott's wonderful sponge-ball routine - he is selling his DVD with the PB&J sponge ball routine in the Café Buy/Sell forum for only $7.50 - limited quantites.

Also includes his ring and rope routine, and his jump rope routine.
FCpreacher
View Profile
Elite user
PA
439 Posts

Profile of FCpreacher
To me (and to many others I have performed for) a red sponge sphere looks like a clown nose. So I figure rather than argue that it isn't a clown nose, but a sponge ball (used for what? - I might add - "here is the red sphere made of sponge that I keep in my pocket to amaze you"), I would just call it a clown nose and structure my routine around my short-lived career in the circus. I tell some circus jokes during the routine, give a reason to put one in my hand and one in yours, etc. I think this is one of the few sponge ball routines I have seen that makes sense.

"I haven't always been a magician, you know. I used to work in a Minute-Made factory ... but I got canned ... because I couldn't concentrate. I then attempted to labor in a Bazooka Joe plant ... but I blew it ... and the boss chewed me out. I went back to medical school to become a doctor, but I just didn't have any patients. So I ran off and joined the circus. The ring master first hired me as the human canonball. I shot my mouth off and got fired (I borrowed that last one from Michael Close). He re-hired me with the stipulation that he would demote me to the lowest rung on the ladder and he gave me one of these (introduce clown nose)." etc.

FC
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Sorry Scott,
It was you I meant to say.
Both names had Scott and I got them mixed up.
Sorry also to Ken.
Daniel Faith
DemuMagic
View Profile
New user
Canada
18 Posts

Profile of DemuMagic
That last routine is hilarious!!!
We bring peoples wildest dreams to life
live magic
MagicB1S
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville Tenn.
1039 Posts

Profile of MagicB1S
I like to save the sponge balls for the heckler in the audience. I invite him on stage and do a routine that usualy keeps him quiet for the rest of the show
"There are Tricks To All Trades.... My Trade is all Tricks"

"An amature practices until he gets it right. A Professional Practices until he can't get it wrong"

www.Themagicchest.webs.com
bobswislosky@yahoo.com
Sammy the Kid
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern Illinois
314 Posts

Profile of Sammy the Kid
I introduce one (a red one) as Fred, from Pluto. You can tell the Plutonians from the Martians cause Martians are green (show a green one). Plutonians build big loud colorful spaceships called... clowns. They guide the clowns from a seat on the area we would call a face. Now, some of these spaceships can juggle, some do balloons, but all of 'em come from Outer Space (no offense meant towards any clowns reading this). Then I go into a 3 to 5 minute routine where Fred's friends Marv and Janie join the show, appearing and disappearing all over the place.

Just my take on 'em,
Sammy the Kid
Fred Kirkland
View Profile
New user
Ga.
96 Posts

Profile of Fred Kirkland
Hey Ken,
What is the best magic prop you have ever had or did you ever see a great prop that stop you cold. Looking for that special trick or prop Birthday shows.
Fred
Fred Kirkland family entertainer & magician
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1167 Posts

Profile of keeblem
I use an idea from Mark Leveridge's routine by saying they are created from dust. I pretend to take bits of dust from the children's hair telling them that's what happens when you watch too much TV. I then produce the first ball...
Mark
MaGiShN46
View Profile
Loyal user
244 Posts

Profile of MaGiShN46
In the movie "magic for humans" it has a good trick for sponge balls!

starts with an ordinary drinking straw!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Patter for spongeballs (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL