The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Billiard or golf balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

HatTrix
View Profile
Regular user
USA
108 Posts

Profile of HatTrix
Hey guys I have multiplying golf balls but I was wondering if the billiard balls are better I think they both look coll but is the effect the same for both. How much do the billiard balls cost?

thanks for the help
cardandcoin
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of cardandcoin
The fakinis are the ones to get.The wooden ones are outdated.Do a google search for "fakini multiplying balls"
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Hiya, Magi:

I've no personal experience with Fakini products (just slightly out of my budget, thanks) but I just picked a set of Goshman Multiplying Golf Balls. They're a lot of fun, even though they don't use a s****. Imagine being able to manipulate Multiplying Balls in a fashion similar to Sponge Balls (the golf balls compress, but LOOK completely solid) and you get the idea. The pack includes a nice routine, a colour change effect, and a jumbo golf ball appearance finale.

Enough gushing. They're about $15 retail.

Leland
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
I've used Fakini for decade's, they're superior to any ball on the market.
POOF!
Dave Dorsett
View Profile
Veteran user
Macomb, Illinois
345 Posts

Profile of Dave Dorsett
It depends on your character, routine and venue. Unless you go with the sponge style as described by Leland, the style will make little or no difference in your handling.

As someone who has made wooden biliard balls in the past (never again), I too strongly recommend the Fakini's. I have heard good things about Arlen Studios as well but have no experience with these. The s***l on Fakini's can "separate" and Arlen's claim they don't.
Dave Dorsett
Douglas~Wayne Illusioneering
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Fakini makes a great multiplying gold ball set as well.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Dave Dorsett
View Profile
Veteran user
Macomb, Illinois
345 Posts

Profile of Dave Dorsett
Pete is absolutely right. I have had a set of the Fakini golf balls for about a decade and they still look and handle great.

I also experimented since my last post on this subject and found you can solve/repair the separation problem with a VERY small dab of ordinary clear silicone adhesive. This is available at almost any hardware store these days.

Gently lift the covering, place a drop of silicone under and press down- immediately wipe off any excess with a clean paper towel. Do not handle for a day and... well, okay, presto! Problem solved.
Dave Dorsett
Douglas~Wayne Illusioneering
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On 2005-08-06 12:12, Leland Stone wrote:
Hiya, Magi:

I've no personal experience with Fakini products (just slightly out of my budget, thanks) but I just picked a set of Goshman Multiplying Golf Balls. They're a lot of fun, even though they don't use a s****. Imagine being able to manipulate Multiplying Balls in a fashion similar to Sponge Balls (the golf balls compress, but LOOK completely solid) and you get the idea. The pack includes a nice routine, a colour change effect, and a jumbo golf ball appearance finale.

Enough gushing. They're about $15 retail.

Leland

Karrell Fox had a great routine (including a climax) using standard sponge balls in a billiard ball type routine in one of his books...great material throughout!
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
I use a combination of Fakini Golf Balls and the cheaper Empire Multiplying Golf Balls (this was before the new Goshman Appearing Golf Balls). The white Fakini golf balls are great for multiplication and manipulation. The yellow Empire golf balls are useful for color changes in a routine.

I've recently purchased the new Goshman Appearing Golf Balls and, to be quite honest, I'm not overly fond of them. Although the balls are certainly well made, the routine is such that you cannot show both sides of both hands immediately prior to making a production. And there is not much you can do for false transfers to allow you to even suggest that both hands are clean.

To me, this was and continues to be the true value of the multiplying ball gimmick - you can flash both sides of both hands and yet still immediately produce your next ball.

As to whether billiard balls or golf balls are better, to me it really doesn't matter. The key things to consider when purchaseing this type of product are visibility, texture and size.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Um, excuse me...I have a question. Will Fakini's slide easily down the inside of one's coat sleeve or a cloth dropper?

johnny
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Fakini's are made so they feel "tacky" in order to give you a more secure grip needed to perform various manipulations. Because of this, they don't slide to easily. Instead of a cloth dropper, I would use a wire ball holder.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Thanks for the info magicman845...I'll "stick" to my good ole fashioned wooden balls! Smile

johnny
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I've used the Goshman Multiplying Sponge Balls, as well as Fakini Golfballs. Both basically work like billiards, except they handle really well. Multiplying Sponges are an excellent disposable set - cheap, too.

I use Fakinis and wish the uncoated shells were available, again. I was lucky to find some of these shells. I had a set that had two coated shells, years ago, but both shells separated.

I've seen the Goshman Golfballs and wasn't the least bit impressed. It takes too long for the ball to fully expand.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I used to use the Ireland gold ball set. It had a painted metal shell and a denser sponge rubber. It was very easy to handle. The shell stayed locked on the ball when you threw it up in the air. The downside was the balls tend to detoriate with use. But they were cheap enough to replace.

Fakini's are probably the easiest to learn to use. Expensive but you will never buy another set.

Old timers used to swear by french polish billard balls. I think Owens may still make them.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Billiard or golf balls (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL