The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Peter Loughrans Black Hole (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tdowell2007
View Profile
Loyal user
Springfield, IL
267 Posts

Profile of tdowell2007
Hello All,
Anyone familiar with this effect by Peter Loughran? The video looks amazing and I wonder if anyone has used it. Here is the website: http://www.masterofillusions.ca/black%20hole.htm
Thank you for your input.
Tony
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Do a search on this. There is a long thread on it when it first came out.
I don't know anyone that uses the Black Hole at this time. I bought it but haven't used it. It comes with no instruction at all. The video on Peters website is of very little to no help because you can hardly see it.
I can see potential for this device in the right circumstances.
Daniel Faith
tdowell2007
View Profile
Loyal user
Springfield, IL
267 Posts

Profile of tdowell2007
Hi daniel,
Thank you for the info. Found it! I knew it had to be here somewhere!
Tony
allan31
View Profile
Regular user
everywhere
182 Posts

Profile of allan31
Hi !
I bought it too but never used it...It's really the kind of trick which needs to be sold with a DVD because I really don't know how to use that ...
regards
allan
ruijorge
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of ruijorge
Actually I have seen the gimmick used at a internet shop for $5. Exacly has the black hole gimmick.
I don't know if was on Leroy or MaxMat. But the price was really $5.

Regards
Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
Website for what? Peter Loughran's Blackhole?
"Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom." - Anonymous
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
The twelve page thread here at the Café is here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=109

This utility is of enormous service to any peformer vanishing or producing larger or heavier items. Upon viewing Loughran's demo and the size of items produced or vanished I knew this would work for me. I was right and have used it to replace a holding device I constructed myself.

As with any worthwhile invention I slapped forehead wondering why I hadn't thought of it first - don't we always.

I'm excited to use this utility which makes my final stage productions a real dream. Thanks!
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I agree it has possiblites but there should have been instruction with the device.
To not have instruction with it is a big dis-service to those who purchased it.
We've been left hanging...
Daniel Faith
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Howdy Daniel,

You mentioned not having instructions. I wonder if they goofed on your order and shipped it without. Actually the only use I got out of them was placement of the gimmick in order to use it. The rest was, I'm glad the possibilities are endless, up to my imagination and, most importantly, needs.

I slightly modified a couple of large production items and immediately put it all to use.

The three or four page instructions had some production ideas which would only be the tip of the iceberg. This product is relatively new and needs time to be handled by others for newer applications.

A couple of people posted regarding their inability to use or understand the device. Others wanted more production ideas.

I'm not going to argue whether the product copy could use more ideas as most products can. Many of these ideas come with widespread use. Peter demoed say three good effects. We'll surely see more in the future as it comes into use by others. But for those totally in the dark as to what to do with this, I doubt they need it. Some fellow kept posting about his lack of imagination being a problem even after he got the product. He went on to offer it for sale. For those who insist on more ideas on items to produce, maybe they don't need to produce anything at all. To avoid exposure, If the gimmick can hold the item, can be concealed while held, and produced while under cover of say a silk, then it can be produced or vanished.

If you currently produce any large item, by any production means, you'll see the great potential of this gimmick. A handful of buyers saw the vid clip of this in action so they know it works as outlined. The demo was the proof. No question about that.

However, depending on the user's experience or intent, it seems instructions (or lack thereof) accompanying many many effects can be improved upon for those unfamiliar with the effect.

For example, I recently purchased another set of multiplying candles as I wore out the last set. Although I've used them for years and love to perform them in my manipulation act, I read the instructions with this new set. It hasn't changed a bit! The actual instructions on their use is only 5 sentences long! I'm talking about the "how to" section of the one page instruction sheet. The rest all filler such as:

"You may magically produce the Candle from nowhere, light it, and cause it to multiply. You may transform a Silk into a Candle - then multiply, or you may have the Candle in a stand from where it is picked up, then made to multiply."

"A little practice will tell you what you can do. As the trick is mechanical, all you need is a little time on a good presentation, and a little handling practice".

That's it! That's all you get on this classic. I suppose in the hands of one who's never seen the effect or worked with it, those five sentences - well don't make me laugh as the instructions would be a bigger mystery than the effect!
I'm not supporting the sale of magic effects with poor or no instructions but even the candles state required "time on a good presentation and a little handling practice". I'd like to add to that list "a little imagination - the more the better".

For those who'd like sep-by-step instructional, perhaps the Black Hole gimmick could be accompanied by a instructional DVD with tips on it's use. Another demo, like that one at Peter's site, with step by step instructional on it's execution. You know, concealment, steals, preparation of production and vanishing items etc. For those disatisfied with the way the device was provided maybe they could benefit from a demo compliation.

I get the impression that some would like step by step instruction on how to produce or vanish a specific item when its been sold as utility gimmick with production or vanishing "ideas". The product alone could be sold as a utility for those familiar with and looking to replace current production methods.

Those totally unfamiliar with the methods could purchase the item with an additional DVD filled with great ideas.

I, for one, was not left hangin' as this thing is super.
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
Hey Randy, Thanks for that great explination. That was my complete intentions when releasing the product. Man I thought anyone that is even remotely expereinced in magic would just have a ball with these things, and would have a hard time from stopping the ideas and applications from rolling in.

I looked at the black hole as something similar to the TT where it has 101 uses. But I remember that when I bought my first TT the only instructions I had was on how to make a hankie disappear in my closed fist. Now we all know there is so much more to a TT then that. With the black hole you get 4 pages of instructions and several ideas and applications on how to use the device. But no there is no step by step instructions on how to do specific things. This is a tool, and that's all we are selling it as. A tool. I left it up to the magician to bring that tool to life.

However I beleive very strongly in customer support, so if there is a particular effect someone is trying to accomplish with the effect, then please email us, we are here to help.

P.
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
JosephKerr
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles
420 Posts

Profile of JosephKerr
Sweet!
Really sweet.

I have to be honest - I was disappointed when I first opened my package. But that's only because I was hoping to find something that would help me vanish my large contact juggling ball (Right now I use a topit).

The Blackhole cannot help me vanish the ball.

But I now use it to hold out the gimmick for the Ultimate Dancing Hank! I can produce and vanish the gimmick making the handling of the Foulard cleaner than ever.

I feel that this is the type of utility you would come up with on your own if you needed it in your act. However you will find a use for it even if you don't know it yet. It will def. get you thinking.
"Challenge Your Reality"
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1174 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
Somebody please change the title of this thread. Smile
Loyal R
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
417 Posts

Profile of Loyal R
Quote:
On 2005-08-18 00:21, Daniel Faith wrote:
I agree it has possiblites but there should have been instruction with the device.
To not have instruction with it is a big dis-service to those who purchased it.
We've been left hanging...

I bought it too and mine has comes with instructions but I agree that if a DVD would come with it... I would be WAYYYY Better!
Dare to Dream...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Peter Loughrans Black Hole (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL