The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Handheld flash cannons safety (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MopKrayz
View Profile
Elite user
423 Posts

Profile of MopKrayz
Those who use a handheld flash cannon, any comments on its safety on one's fingers when the fp ball shoots out from the hand?
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
In general most fingertip flash paper igniters and hand held flash cannons are relatively safe. Especially if used as directed and don’t get excited with performance pressure.

Remember my cousin’s law “What can go wrong will go wrong!” and it’s axiom “if you play with fire then plan to get burned.” Also remember Newton’s 17th law of thermodynamics “if it’s fire it burns!” (That’s William Newton, middle school science teacher at Farley Davis Middle School of course).

As safe as they are you could still burn the devil out of yourself. Don’t let anyone tell you that flash paper and flash cotton won’t burn you (or set a curtain on fire). I have burned my thumb and fingertips on more than one occasion firing a flash cannon.

But then this discussion is kind of like the old B-B gun argument that was laid on you when you were a kid (or at least was laid on me when I was a kid)…you’ll put your eye out!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
HowDini
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of HowDini
Use them at the very beginning of your show when you walk onstage as they are very hair triggered from my experience.
I have two which I stopped using a long time ago because of the danger.

HowDini
Question: How did you do that?
Reply: No! How did you didn't do that, HowDini did that.
MopKrayz
View Profile
Elite user
423 Posts

Profile of MopKrayz
So the most damage that can be done is burning fingers?
I wouldn't mind so much buring a finger every once in a while as that already happens in other fire effects I use.
I was more worried like shooting off your fingertips with the flash blast!!!
HowDini
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of HowDini
It wont do that kind of damage But don't point in near your face.
Question: How did you do that?
Reply: No! How did you didn't do that, HowDini did that.
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Quote:
On 2005-08-13 04:49, MopKrayz wrote:
I wouldn't mind so much buring a finger every once in a while as that already happens in other fire effects I use.

!! How many times do I have to tell you not to try to stuff a cherry bomb in the chamber ! Smile
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
dead_man
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of dead_man
Quote:
On 2005-08-13 15:17, Mystician wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-08-13 04:49, MopKrayz wrote:

!! How many times do I have to tell you not to try to stuff a cherry bomb in the chamber ! Smile

Now you tell me
If the eyes are the window to the soul, you're not going to like the view.
BAH1313
View Profile
Elite user
Ohio
445 Posts

Profile of BAH1313
The main thing is never ever ever ever put Flash Powder in the flash gun. I know of a fellow missing a couple of fingers, but the paper and the cotton will only burn ya. Not blow anything off. Good Luck!
I am truly blessed to have a job where people are laughing all the time and everyone believes in magic....Come to think of it, I'm blessed to even have a job.
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
I soldered in a kill switch on mine, makes it even easier to handle.
But like everyone said, they're pretty safe if used as directed, you might get a slight burn, if that, if you shot it right into your fingers like a dummy.

Here's mine - Notice the tiny slide switch in the bottom right corner:

Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
Or if you shoot the pointy end of a jewelers screwdriver into your hand like I did one time while loading... OUCH!

Be very careful while loading make sure the batteries are not in!

Steven
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Mystician

That slide switch is a pretty good idea. I am tired of pulling the wires off the glow plugs, and then ednding up having a poor/inconsistent contact because the connector is loose.

I like the idea.

Thanks

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Handheld flash cannons safety (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL