The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Eliminating the Aces (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

stevenamills
View Profile
Veteran user
397 Posts

Profile of stevenamills
MANY mentalism effects rely on reducing the available "free" choices. There is one very popular trick, in particular, that needs to eliminate the aces from the available pool.

I've always thought the "don't choose an ace - that's too easy" etc. was lame with a capital "L". I've never found the words that make me comfortable. Either as a precondition or after the choice is made.

Your thoughts would be most helpful.

Later.....
Steve
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2054 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
I've always gotten away with being blunt about it and asking point blank, after they've made their choice, "Are you thinking of an Ace?"

If they say yes, then: "Of course you are, because every magician [or mindreader or whatever you call yourself] knows that most people will think of an Ace if you ask them to think of a card quickly. There are guys in carnival tents making a living off of that fact alone. So there you have it, the world's easiest mindreading feat. [Take a small bow.] Now for my next trick, think of another card...." Apply the appropriate amount of irony/sarcasm to the word "trick" if you don't want it perceived as one. Or else substitute "Now let's try another experiment," or whatever term fits what you're doing.

If they say no, then: "Good, because the Aces are such an obvious choice that even when I get one right, no one is ever impressed." Then quickly move on.

Works for me, but as always, your mileage may vary.

Quinn
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
Ted Lesley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Berlin / Germany
421 Posts

Profile of Ted Lesley
Hi Steve:
What you think about this:

Tell your audience:
"You possibly know, that there is a new cardgame out called "Ollapodria". This game doesn`t need AS YOU ALL KNOW any aces in the deck, so let me remove them....."!!!!!

(The cardgame´s name I made just up, but believe me, it´s convincing, if it is done casually and without hesitation!)

ESPecially and MAGICally

TED LESLEY
Ted Lesley

( The "Victor Borge" of Mentalism )
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
Ted,
Just out of curiosity "Ollapadria" wouldn't have anthing to do the that old mall in Dallas, TX called the Olla Padrida, would it? It had a magic shop, so I thought you might have gone there at some time.

Sable
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
GothicBen
View Profile
Veteran user
England
353 Posts

Profile of GothicBen
Great suggestion, Ted!

When I do this sort of effect, I say "Think of a card, but not an ace, because that'll be too easy!" Said in a lighthearted manner, it works!
Chris A.
View Profile
Inner circle
AKA Chris A.
1123 Posts

Profile of Chris A.
Just ask them to think of a 'number' card "to make it more difficult for you".

That way you don't even have to mention the aces or have a drawn out reason for not wanting them picked.
AKA Chris A.
Keepin' the Funk Alive
DonMarco
View Profile
Regular user
187 Posts

Profile of DonMarco
a bit of reverse psychology here.

if you say "think of a card, you know an ace or whatever"

then I bet they WON'T think of an ace.
"Imagination is the Only Reality"-- Marquis de Sade
psycho
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of psycho
nice thoughts ted and quinn...

in response to quinn, I say take it a step further... say "are you thinking of an ace?"

if they say yes, ask "it's not a black ace is it?" if they say yes, chances are they are thinking of the ace of spades, but if they say no, you respond as if you were correct (since you originally said "it's NOT a black ace"). this allows you to be correct either way, but if they say no to "black ace" your bets are most likely on ace of hearts.

if they were thinking of one of the other two aces, blow it off, cuz mentalism-- it don't always work, see?

.. but if it IS the ace you claim, yer work is done.

and so am i,

psycho
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
I pull out my wallet and lay it on the table.
Check to see if there is any money, flash the empty inside.

I say, "Think of a card <pause> Are you thinking of an ace?"

A."Yes"
"Ok, very good, let's try a little harder now, think of another card."

B. "No"
"Really? What card are you thinking of?
The _____ of _____? Now THAT is really interesting <continue with KK routine>"

I have performed KK literally hundreds of times, I feel the ace exclusion is really no big deal.

Even if you are flat out wrong, your a psychic entertainer for crying out loud.

Missing a few will enhance your rep beyond belief.
Cheers,
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Mahlstrom
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Mahlstrom
Quote:
On 2002-10-26 13:41, Flip wrote:
Just ask them to think of a 'number' card "to make it more difficult for you".

Most of the time it's better to say something like "to make it more difficult for ME".
The psychology should be obvious.

-Mahlstrom
CENDRE
View Profile
Veteran user
FRANCE
334 Posts

Profile of CENDRE
Or you can simply include the aces in your wallet :

I don't know where exactly on this forum, but someone explained a beautiful way to restrain spect's choice by 2.

I let you count the amount of cards it remains (not a lot, we all agree with that).
This "not a lot" can be increased with 2 more cards (2 aces) with not a lot of pbs.

In fact if you can charge in the wallet the cards of the original amount of cards (in the original routine), you can easily charge this (amount/2 + 2)... If you follow my thinking (maybe it's hard... I don't know).

see you soon,
Il était une fois...

CENDRE
Paris
FRANCE
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Eliminating the Aces (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL