The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » 3-4 year olds (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
Gideon,

I think your statement implied that all you had to do is be goofy. It would have been better to say, if your style permits it, act goofy. I am not a goofy person and would look like an idiot performing that way. My style is completely different and I too, am a full-time professional...just not goofy.

Steven
Coram Deo
Fiddling-Steve
View Profile
Loyal user
Danbury, Connecticut
212 Posts

Profile of Fiddling-Steve
Well, since its my first show for that age I've been working my routine out so I can be goofy/funny and then entertaining, such as by telling a story. Thanks to danryb I have a great story with professors nightmare, so my show will be high energetic, and then calm. Someone said it, its like a roller coaster.

Anyway, this is what I've planned to do, very basically. (not to give the routines away)

rules
a funny way to produce my rocky(he thinks he's a bunny!)
coloring book
professors nightmare in verse
sponge balls(simplified)
5 minutes with a pocket handkerchief (slightly altered for that age)
rabbit in the hat appearing routine

That's what I've planned to do. I'm more goofy than anything and have many funny voices and little gags planned. I'm just disappointed, I can't find my break away wand! I guess I'll just have to skip it, ha ha. No biggy.

Thanks for all the help guys!!

Stephen
Stick to the classics,

Stephen
Gideon Sylvan
View Profile
Special user
Deerfield, IL
541 Posts

Profile of Gideon Sylvan
Stephen, you can get the same sort of effect by dropping the wand before the kid gets hold of it. I got this bit from Twenty Minutes With a Balloon; tell your assitante to grab onto the little white end (point with finger) and as he grabs go "Ow not my finger!" Keep foing this and he will actually grab your finger. The video is quite good. At the three year old age, they are shy still. Get them to shour magic words and yell their names to start in order to get them used to you so you can have "helpers."

Tell us how it goes!

Gideon
You know you are a magician when you have boxes full of lecture notes you have never read, but still are excited about going out and buying more.

www.gideonsylvan.com
danryb
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of danryb
Hi Gideon, I fully understand what your saying but bearing in mind that this is his very first show for this age I would have given a different aproach.
I'm sure, by the sounds of it, that your act is very professional. Sometimes I get realy upset that I don't live in the states so I can meet some of you guys.
On the other hand, I live in Sunny Eilat, where the sun shines 365 days a year and the tourists flow - so cant complain.

Stephen - what are those rules you plan to start with? if it is what I think it is, I would suggest you go very, very easy.
The coloring book is great for this age,
Strings or rope are quite difficult to use because as far as the little ones are concirned - a big teady bear is indeed a big teady bear and not a long peice of red rope. same with medium and small.
Give it some thought.
Sponge is great - I think I told you about my sponge balls to sausages routine but, WITH ONLY 10 KIDS IN THE AUDIENCE, you want to be aware because if you have difficulty getting some one up to help you, you are going to find yourself lacking that much needed 4- 5 minute routine.
That could cut your act down in time. For the price your charging (I will not comment on that time being) you must inform the "payers" that your programme is a first and that it could run between 25 and 35 minutes depending on the kids participation and concentration span (most understanding adults should know that keeping this age active is not an easy task even for seasoned proffesionals).

Enjoy,
Dani
Gideon Sylvan
View Profile
Special user
Deerfield, IL
541 Posts

Profile of Gideon Sylvan
I think all has been said, and everyone has been helpful. So I think the only thing that needs to be said is, go out there and break a leg Smile
You know you are a magician when you have boxes full of lecture notes you have never read, but still are excited about going out and buying more.

www.gideonsylvan.com
Fiddling-Steve
View Profile
Loyal user
Danbury, Connecticut
212 Posts

Danryb,

Many of the things you mentioned I was going to do. As for the rules, I was just going to say yadda yadda yadda if I need help I look for people sitting and smiling. blah blah blah the magic only works if your not talking. Ya know, simple small guidelines.

It all comes down to the actual performance. I tell you about it when It happens.

Stephen
Stick to the classics,

Stephen
Gideon Sylvan
View Profile
Special user
Deerfield, IL
541 Posts

Profile of Gideon Sylvan
Yes, please tell us how it goes. Before you tell the rules though, get them doing stuff a bit, such as yelling their name or saying hello louder, do something to get them out of their little shell, then say the rules. Make sure those rules are easy to understand though, and parents are around.

www.gideonsylvan.com
The Magical Duo
View Profile
New user
USA
35 Posts

Profile of The Magical Duo
If this is a first time show for 3-4 yr. olds, I say go with a 15 min act with optional 5min in case they don't get restless. This is what I started out with at your age, perhaps younger (I started performing pro at 10). I now do a 30-45 min show and kidslove it! I just had to build some kid routines. Don't be afraid to chuck something from the act if it just doesn't sit well with the kids. I have a really good rope routine, but it just didn't involve the kids enough. they got bored. I also work with a partner. His job is to be silly while I do the magic (Think abbot and costello with a lot of slapstick).
You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons. Gene Wilder BLAZING SADDLES
Fiddling-Steve
View Profile
Loyal user
Danbury, Connecticut
212 Posts

Well, the show was today. (ha ha, so soon? yes)

well, I don't know what to say, I really wasn't prepared, they totally ignored me... terrible show..

Just pulling your legs, its was great. I never messed up and kept their attention the whole time. Rocky the raccoon worked great, he got so many laughs and the kids loved him. The coloring book got them all engaged. They loved seeing me mess up in 5 minutes with a handkerchief, and the loved the mouse flying at them. The sponge ball routine didn't really go as planned because they were a little hyper, but I calmed them down with the professor's nightmare. I didn't use the story I got, instead I sort of improvised it and they loved it. The appearing flower was great because they kept saying the magic words but it didn't work, until finally they said hocus pocus. I did the appearance on the off beat so when they looked back they literally were stunned because suddenly, it was there. The rabbit in the hat appearance went very well and they loved petting the bunny and pushing hm back in. I did some extra rope stuff where the ends fell off and it really impressed the adults and the kids were laughing. I ended with rocky again because they wanted to hold him. Rocky really made the show a lot better.

I prepared for the worst, and it was really great. I kept them amused for about 35-40 minutes instead of just 30. Everyone liked it. I also got another job (later in September) from it.
I've learned a lot, but if your prepared, can improvise and know your stuff, you can do it easily. I couldn't have done it without all your help.

Much appreciation,

Stephen
Stick to the classics,

Stephen
danryb
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of danryb
Congrats and keep up the good work.
Dani
SteveFowkes
View Profile
New user
Oxon, UK
35 Posts

Profile of SteveFowkes
Glad it all went well. At least your 'baptism of fire' is done. I'm sure you'll understand now why I find performing to youngsters so rewarding and enjoyable.

The very act of getting kids excited, laughing and thoroughly enjoying themselves, all by your act is the real true magic. Nothing can match it.

Kindest regards,

Steve Fowkes
The world is a wonderful place.
Let's make it more so.
Steve
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Steve, glad it went well. I could tell last night that you would have your material down, when I saw you perform the Hankerchief Mouse trick. It's obvious you really practice your stuff when you set your mind to it. Did you tie the ears ok during the show?

I hope some of the advice me and the other guys from the assembly gave you, helped. All of the warnings of a possible bomb of a show, were not to discourage you, but just to help you prepare for that possibility. Many first shows, especially children's shows, are terrible. I told you about how bad mine was - glad yours was not that bad. Keep up the good work and raise your prices so you don't undercut me! You are now my competition in our area...don't be surprised if you wake up tomorrow with a bloody Rocky Raccoon head in your bed! Just kidding. Good luck!
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
Fiddling-Steve
View Profile
Loyal user
Danbury, Connecticut
212 Posts

Ha ha, yeah, I practiced the knot all night and on the ride over. I just got lucky and nailed it! ha ha. I also put it further up in my show so my hands wouldn't get sweaty and I wouldn't be able to move the mouse properly like I did at the assembly.

I should have practiced the sponge balls more, but they went well that's to the tape I borrowed from you. I kept pulling them out of their ears and multiplying them. Today I made up a great routine (because I was jealous of your chop cup) with the sponge and bowl idea on the tape. Its great, a lot like a chop cup routine just without the karate chop. I'll show you some time.

Yup.

Stephen
Stick to the classics,

Stephen
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » 3-4 year olds (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL