The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Dictionary Book Test (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

shawn popp
View Profile
Veteran user
Denver
313 Posts

Profile of shawn popp
There is currently a dictionary booktest being offered on ebay, entitled the GEM Dictionary Book Test. Does anyone know anything about this? I have never heard of it, however I am relatively new to all things mental. Thanks

shawn
MentaThought
View Profile
Special user
615 Posts

Profile of MentaThought
Quote:
On 2005-08-15 18:55, Shawn Griffin wrote:
There is currently a dictionary booktest being offered on ebay, entitled the GEM Dictionary Book Test. Does anyone know anything about this? I have never heard of it, however I am relatively new to all things mental. Thanks

shawn

I look forward to learning more about that test.
One very impressive dictionary book test was performed by Derren Brown (at the British Museum was it?) on one of his early tv specials.
"A good mentalist ... will teach you a miracle because he understands the subtleties ..." -- Banachek

"If this works it'll be BEAUTIFUL!" - The Amazing Kreskin on a stunning effect he performed on his 1970s television series (PS: it worked)
StuartNolan
View Profile
Elite user
480 Posts

Profile of StuartNolan
Thought I'd revive this thread because of the great Dictionary test in Geoffrey Durham's new bookhttp://www.geoffreydurham.com/
It'd be good to hear how people get on with it and of any other dictionary test.
"One should always be a little improbable." - Oscar Wilde
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Ed fowler has a dictionary type book effect I believe...
I've asked to be banned
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Paolo Cavalli has a great dictionary book test as well. One of, if not the best I've seen!

Also, see Docc's Real Mindreading for his take on the dictionary test and book tests in general.
PsiDroid
View Profile
Inner circle
2164 Posts

Profile of PsiDroid
Quote:
On 2008-02-09 13:40, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
Paolo Cavalli has a great dictionary book test as well. One of, if not the best I've seen!

Ok. Where can I find this Cavalli's Dictionary Test ?
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Just say. "Lord of the Horses" 3 times into your monitor and he might appear.

He pops in here every now and again.
PsiDroid
View Profile
Inner circle
2164 Posts

Profile of PsiDroid
Lord of the horses!

Lord of the horses!

Lord of the horses!

Done!
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
He's down at the corral giving a sermon. The interesting part though is when he passes the plate...
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
There have been a number of tests with dictionary's over the years and it seems a logical choice. If I recall correctly, Al Baker's Book Test used a pocket dictionary, Eric C. Lewis used one, Al Koran, Rudy Hunter had a great approach with a dictionary etc. etc. So a dictionary in itself is nothing new.

I have no doubt that Geoffrey Durham's routine will be an excellent presentation, as he is a respected full time pro. of many years who spends a great deal of time on the material he selects. For those that do actually perform, or want to, then being able to learn from people like Geoff is an opportunity.

He does have a stand at Blackpool for the official release of the book. He will be next to Wayne Dobson.

Paul.
PsiDroid
View Profile
Inner circle
2164 Posts

Profile of PsiDroid
I've done as Tony Iacoviello suggested but no answer about that.

Is it too much if I ask someone who owns that Cavalli dictionary test to post some HONEST description of the effect ?
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
Quote:
On 2008-02-09 13:40, Tony Iacoviello wrote:

Tony:

Are you referring to "PUN" in Sigma?

PsiDroid:

You can purchase Sigma at
http://www.paolocavalli-mindworld.com/pa......oks.html and
http://www.paolocavalli-mindworld.com/pa......ink.html

Arnon
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Arnon

No, he put out a single dictionary booktest last March (Diction Impossible), I posted the link to the thread discussing it above.

In addition to that, and the one in Sigma, Paolo published BOOPLIFICATION in Upsilon. Here is the description:
Quote:

BOOPLICATION is a four phases Book Test including a drawing duplication and a prediction with a big, ungimmicked dictionary. The four books can be totally ungimmicked!

(Also available at the link you provided)

Let me add one more to the mix, a little piece of gold! "The Lesser Dictionary Test" in Jim Steinmeyer's FURTHER IMPUZZIBILITIES, an over the phone dictionary book test. I've used it when the opportunity presented itself, and it helped secure me more than one booking (pun not withstanding).

Tony
ELima
View Profile
Regular user
Norway
167 Posts

Profile of ELima
Lee Earle has an interesting one in the Out of SYZYG e-book called Brain Book. Based on words that are difficult to spell, hence the dictionary. Involves several spectators.

Endre
PsiDroid
View Profile
Inner circle
2164 Posts

Profile of PsiDroid
Quote:
On 2008-02-10 15:20, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=15

Thanks Tony and Arnon.

Oh yes DICTION IMPOSSIBLE. I knew that one but I missed the offer because it was for 10 people only.

Sgrunt! *@°ç
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
IS there one that once you know the page number or first letter you know the first word on the page method?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Dictionary Book Test (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL