The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » NLP and Chief Moose (FBI versus the Sniper) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
xersekis
View Profile
Special user
591 Posts

Profile of xersekis
Quote:
On 2002-11-01 17:38, Paradox wrote:
Rex:
It may surprise you to know that Rogers is "still practiced today." Nondirective therapy wasn't a precursor of anything. It stands alone in its own right and is still an effective therapeutic modality.
Many of Rogers' approaches and techniques have been subsumed into other disciplines, usually without credit. Reflection of feeling (a prime Rogers technique) is usually referred to nowadays as a "communication technique" with no reference to Rogers.
Its only problem is that it requred the therapist to BE a certain kind of person to practice it successfully. If you're a therapist & you're not this kind of person, you will probably try it and give it up as somerthing too "superficial" or "shallow" & go right back to your directive methods.

Actually, it may surprise you that I was trained in Rogerian therapy and approaches and highly regard it.

Same is true for NLP it has subsumed many other disciplines and has had itself subsumed by many as well. It has been highly ripped off over the years - with no credit to the field of NLP or individual contributors.

NLP's problem too is that it required a practitioner to be a certain kind of person as well and if you weren't you ususally fell back into what you already knew or another approach.

Very similar indeed. Just curious why you seem so hostile - especially as one advocating Rogers. Could it be the failure of Rogerian methods to proliferate as NLP has? Even NLP risks being completely subsumed in the future and loosing it's identity because it has proliferated so far and wide without credit or acknowledgement. People keep rediscovering NLP priciples every couple of months and claiming them new too.

If a person doesn't wish to study NLP so be it. That is completely fine - I just wish people were adult enough to trust other people to have good enough minds to make up their own. Live and let live.

TAke care!
Rex
DonMarco
View Profile
Regular user
187 Posts

Profile of DonMarco
Know what this thread needs? Some words from Rex Sikes!

Just kidding. Actually as I was reading the beginning posts, I was pulling for Rex to show up because of all of us in the forum...he has probably "lived" NLP the most.

At any rate...It's very easy to praise OR pounce upon NLP.

Let me share this briefly, though. If you are looking for new mindreading techniques and effects, and go tunneling thru countless NLP archives you will come up short.

Recently, I changed my focus. Yes, I study NLP, but I originally picked it up for a "linguistic enhancement" (read-patter ideas) for my mentalism.

Here's something wild for everyone who has contributed any reading or writing to this (and several other related) thread(s):

You get out of it what you put into it.

Sounds simple, huh? By changing my focus, and entering NLP training as a student who wanted to learn what the ideaology could help me with, INSTEAD of, "how can I use NLP to 'read' peoples' minds...well...I could get into this much more, but if you approach NLP training with unselfish motives, the communicative technologies will turn your mentalism upside down in a very positive way. If you approach NLP as some sort of "effect" you can have on your precious audience members..."beware"

Just a thought or two...

Don Marco
"Imagination is the Only Reality"-- Marquis de Sade
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1250 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
I agree -- I'm glad Rex is here to throw his opinion into mix. I think he is one of the top three NLP trainers in this part of the galaxy (the left part...). I had the pleasure of spending an intense two weeks at one of his seminars three years ago, and the man *really* walks his talk, like few other teachers. He's also an awesome magician and mentalist, and if the subject of NLP comes up in a magic forum, I can't think of anyone more qualified to comment. (Btw, his daughter is gonna blow some minds one day, too -- she was only about a year old at the time, and he would do a French Drop and you could hear the wheels clicking in her head as she weighed the evidence and pointed to the hand holding the coin...)

In a field where most materials are just pathetic, blatant copies of previous stuff, I think Rex is truly an innovater who gives you way more bang for the buck. IMHO, he's WAY better at teaching it than Richard Bandler, the main originator of NLP. Halfway through the training, I became viciously ill, but I was able to use some specific methods he taught to reassign where I focused my attention, and I sailed through it like a breeze. I'd never done that before.

I can't wait to buy a copy of Wonder Readings, the cold reading resource he and Kenton put together. I have no doubt it will be excellent...

Cheers,

Seth
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » NLP and Chief Moose (FBI versus the Sniper) (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL