The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Interesting people who do card magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Quote:
On 2005-08-17 12:27, KRZ4kardz wrote:
Harry Anderson of "Night Court" fame is also an accomplished magician.

No, you have that in reverse, Harry Anderson is an accomplished actor. Smile
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Quote:
You know Paul, besides you and me, how many remember Boston blackie? What a great detective series. And I don't mean reruns. When it was on there was no such thing as reruns!

Ahhhhh, the flashbacks of my youth. Smile
Magic is a vanishing art.
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
[quote]On 2005-08-17 16:07, MagicChris wrote:
Quote:

Paul, when I first heard his name years ago, I thought what a coincidence, he has the same name as the fight promoter. And I had no idea his brother handled the Bowery boys ( a favorite series when I was a kid ).

Thanks for the great info and warm fuzzy over the Bowery memory!!

Chris

Chris,

You're welcome! You should have heard some of the stories Jan would tell about trying to keep "the boys" in line. Absolutely hysterical! I guess they were real womanizers, especially Huntz Hall. And remember, this was back in the day, when the censors wouldn't allow a MARRIED COUPLE to stay in one bed, even. Nick and Nora Charles had twin beds in the "Thin Man" series! So you can imagine the PR problems it would have created if these "boys", (they were actually in thier twenties, men, when most of the better movies were done), were caught with prostitutes, booze, etc.

And I guess that Leo Gorcey really HAD a Napoleon complex, that "little guy" thing, that got him in all kinds of trouble! The "boys" were every bit as wild, even more so, in real life as they were in the flicks! Wish I'd heard Jan tell ALL the stories he had about them - as it was, I had to hear a lot of them secondhand, from Ron Bauer, who knew Jan and Jimmy really well. Thanks, Ron!

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Paul,
I am also a Bowery Boys fan. I remember the sweet shop owner, believe his name was Louie and at the time he was really an old guy and also very short, Leo Gorcey I believe he was called Satch sometimes and a few other times I believe he went by other names.Also as I recall they made movies tited The Dead End Kids, not sute about that but really liked them as well as many from the good old days including of course Moe, Larry and Curly and sometimes ( my personal favorite ) Shemp..And of course I watched Boston Blackie..Many good memories from the classics..
While on the subject, Francis the talking mule and Mr. Ed ( a horse is a horse of course )
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
jb201
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of jb201
Arsenio Hall started his show-business career as a magician but later switched to comedy. Bill Bixby had a tv series back in the 70's " The Magician" and Hal Linden (Barney Miller)had a tv show as a crime fighting magician.
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
Quote:
On 2005-08-17 21:49, jb201 wrote:
Arsenio Hall started his show-business career as a magician but later switched to comedy. Bill Bixby had a tv series back in the 70's " The Magician" and Hal Linden (Barney Miller)had a tv show as a crime fighting magician.

Right!
That was "Black's Magic", if I remember correctly...

And of course, there was that CREEP, Tony Perkins, who played the ventriloquist in MAGIC, the movie where the dummy came alive. Tannen's is mentioned in the book, as I recall.

And there is a great story called "The Magician of Lublin" by...

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
Alewishus
View Profile
Inner circle
parts unknown
1227 Posts

Profile of Alewishus
I wonder how interesting these people are after they pull out a deck of cards?

A.
Sack subs, ok Ross?
We miss you asper.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2005-08-17 17:21, dpe666 wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-08-17 12:27, KRZ4kardz wrote:
Harry Anderson of "Night Court" fame is also an accomplished magician.

No, you have that in reverse, Harry Anderson is an accomplished actor. Smile

dpe666, not sure if I understand your post. Are you saying Harry Anderson was not an accomplished magician? Harry Anderson WAS an accomplished magician before he was an actor. See Pauls post above. See Andersons Saturday Night Live appearances. Which come BEFORE Night Court. He worked the Magic Castle BEFORE Night Court. I may have misunderstood your post. If so please disregard.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Somewhere in the back of the old skull, I've got the notion that the actor that played "Louie" the sweet shop owner was Leo Gorcey's father.

Can anyone confirm that?

Denny Loomis

Just found it myself. Isn't the 'Net' great?

Louie Dumbrowski was indeed played by Leo Gorcey's father, Bernard Gorcey, in the Bowery Boys features.

Denny Loomis

To Paul Chosse,
The part of the ventriloquist in MAGIC was played by Anthony Hopkins.

Denny Loomis

To Rennie,
The Huntz Hall Character in the Bowery Boys movies was called "Satch." Leo Gorcey played Slip Mahoney.

Denny Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Dennis,
You are correct, I was close as I knew there was a Satch in there somewhere.As I recall Gabe Dell who went on to bigger things was also in the with the "Boys"
Rennie
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Rennie, What character did Gabe Dell play?
Magic is a vanishing art.
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Quote:
On 2005-08-18 20:31, edh wrote:
Rennie, What character did Gabe Dell play?

Here is a brief bio on him I found on Google,
The third oldest of the original "Dead End Kids," Gabriel Dell was the only member of that group to enjoy a truly successful solo career. As a reward for his academic achievements, young Dell was permitted to enter New York's Professional Children's School, with his Italian-immigrant father paying his tuition. His first Broadway play was Sidney Kingsley's Dead End, in which he played the sickly street punk "T.B." Together with his Dead End co-stars Leo Gorcey, Huntz Hall, Billy Halop, Bobby Jordan and Bernard Punsley, Dell was brought to Hollywood for the 1937 film version of the Kingsley play. This led to several other appearances with the Dead End Kids in such Warner Bros. productions as Angels With Dirty Faces (1938) and They Made Me a Criminal (1939). He also worked with two of the "Kid's" splinter groups, the Little Tough Guys and the East Side Kids. Unlike his cohorts Gorcey and Hall, Dell's character changed from picture to picture. After serving in World War II, Dell rejoined his old cinematic gang, now renamed The Bowery Boys. As "Gabe Moreno," Dell generally played the most mature member of the bunch, often a law enforcement officer or crusading reporter. Tired of playing third fiddle to Leo Gorcey and Huntz Hall, Dell quit the Bowery Boys cold in 1950,
Rennie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Interesting people who do card magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL