The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Scotch and Soda (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
I recently got my Scotch and Soda Kennedy Half mixed up with several other Kennedy halves. Anyone know how to tell the difference without B*** R*** each and every one? I tried to drop them and listen for the sound but no luck.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1230 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
You should be able to tell by comparing the back with the front, But if not try flipping them in the air, there should be a very distinct sound between the real coins and your gaff.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2005-08-17 11:30, weepinwil wrote:...I tried to drop them and listen for the sound but no luck.

Impressive. Where or who made your gaff?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
I don't know who made the gaff, I have had it for a long time and paid about $25 for it. It would seem to me that there would be a difference in the sound but I have dropped my coins one at a time and find no distinctive difference. Maybe the gaff is not among them. I cannot be sure. All I know is that I am missing a gaff coin and can't determine if it is among my other halfs. I do not spend the regular coins so if it is there I will eventually find it. I was hoping there might be a visual cue. Come to think of it, the gaff may not align like a regular coin is printed so maybe a good visual of the image aignment might show.
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
I can't believe a gaffed coin won't make a distinctive thunk when dropped on a wooden table top as opposed to a clear ringing sound of a genuine coin manufactured by the U.S of A. Either it isn't there or your gaffs were manufactured by standards I've not heard of. If your really not sure and want to be on the safe side...bang, bang, bang.

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Hold the coin with Kennedy's looking to the left, flip the coin over, the eagle will be also perfectly looking left.

Chances are your insert will not be perfectly lined up like a real coin and the Eagle will be looking elsewhere...
Click to visit:
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On 2005-08-17 22:33, Dan Watkins wrote:
Hold the coin with Kennedy's looking to the left, flip the coin over, the eagle will be also perfectly looking left.

Chances are your insert will not be perfectly lined up like a real coin and the Eagle will be looking elsewhere...

That is the conclusion I came to while reading this thread. Thanks everyone, If I do not find the coin by this method I will just assume the gaff is not there and take it as a loss. I agree the gaff should make a different sound.
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
The sound will definitely be different for the gaffed coin when dropped on a hard surface. If you can't tell a difference then you don't have your gaffed coin.
You spent it!
Daniel Faith
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Scotch and Soda (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL