The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What type of magic do I Perform? (silly question I know) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ChristianR
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of ChristianR
I'm having trouble finding my style and figuring out the best "section in the magic shop" for myself. I like cups and balls, zombie ball, the vanishing bandanna, sponge bunnies and sponge balls the most but I do NOT like cards coins are okay I guess... I'm having a hard time giving up cards even though I do not like to practice them or perform them. My card books include Card College 2 expert at the card table, expert card technique. What section in the magic shop would I find the most type of things that would fit my preference?
Tarbell!
Gideon Sylvan
View Profile
Special user
Deerfield, IL
541 Posts

Profile of Gideon Sylvan
Just try it all. I have been "into" almost every field of magic. Eventually you come you with one thing you like best and are good at.
You know you are a magician when you have boxes full of lecture notes you have never read, but still are excited about going out and buying more.

www.gideonsylvan.com
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
From the first three tricks you mention Parlor magic seems to be your interest.
The sponge balls, done standing and with an assistant can also be used for parlor. Just use larger sponges.

Cards, coins and the bunnies could be saved for after your parlor act when you're mingling with the people.

Tricks that are visual and can been seen easily from a few feet away would seem to be the ones to choose.
ChristianR
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of ChristianR
Okay thanks! I knew I as leaning toward larger illusions but I didn't think they where stage...
Tarbell!
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Parlor is not Stage.
Parlor is in between Close-Up and Stage.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Mad Duck,

I'd highly suggest Mark Wilson's book for the reasons you stated above or the Tarbell volumes 1-8. Both of these would allow you to explore different types of magic and eventually allow you to see what suits you best. You'd also have enough material for a lifetime of magic, especially with the complete set of Tarbells. It's worth the investment. :O)

Chrystal
ChristianR
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of ChristianR
I've found Mark Wilsons book at my library. I definatly prefer parlour too. Great its more expensive too Smile lol...
Tarbell!
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
In my opinion (and experience) I think it's best to let your performing style find you rather then going out and looking for it. I know that's easier said then done but if you perform enough it will eventually happen.

Here's my suggestion. When you go to that magic shop ask about any trick there that strikes your interest. If possible see if it can be demonstrated. If it's something you'd like to do then pick it up. Master it then go out and perform it.

Something things will turn out great for you. Others won't work for you. What I mean by not working for you is it either isn't getting the reactions you hope it would get or it just doesn't feel right to you. Just remember that even if it doesn't work well for you right now you should still hold onto it because you might just want to go back to it someday. Especially if you later find a unique performing style and realize that some of those tricks that didn't use to work for you will now fit your performing style.

After a while you'll better understand what works for you or not and you're choices at that magic shop will become much easier. You'll come across a trick and maybe think, "It's a great trick but it's not right for me."

Most importantly is to have fun. If you really like to perform then all of this will eventually work itself out. Those who loose interest are the ones who could no longer enjoy it. You're "performing self" will evolve just like you do in the rest of your life.

I think it's great that you are thinking about all this now. Just try not to let it take away from the pleasures of it all.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
b-gann
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of b-gann
I have been "doing" magic for 11 years, I am only 19, so I have just started really getting into the different "fields" of magic about 3 or 4 years ago. I have tried many different styles and now along with my silk productions now I am really finding that I enjoy card manip this is a type of magic I would have never thought I would have liked but I have found that I love it. I also like fire and appearing and vanishing canes.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What type of magic do I Perform? (silly question I know) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL