The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The First Psychic by Peter Lamont (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Martin Joseph
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of Martin Joseph
A review of 'THE FIRST PSYCHIC: The Peculiar Mystery of a Notorious Victorian Wizard'
by Peter Lamont was reviewed in Saturday's Times. The article can be read here-
Magic: The First Psychic by Peter Lamont
Kind regards,
Martin Colclough.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
I'm gonna buy it.
Bobser
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
Ed Hutchison
View Profile
Regular user
Madison, MS (orig. CNY)
118 Posts

Profile of Ed Hutchison
I'm reminded of what Voltaire said about the first psychic. Paraphrasing just a bit: "The first psychic was the first rogue who met the first fool."

Ed Hutchison
Edward Hutchison

Madison, MS

Home Page: http://www.ERHutchison.com
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2039 Posts

Profile of jimtron
It sounds like Daniel Home may have been the first mentalist?

Quote:
...his special effects were usually ascribed to devious lighting or hidden wires worked by his feet...
-From the article mentioned in the first post.
Drewmcadam
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland
1238 Posts

Profile of Drewmcadam
I've already got this book and I'm working my way through it. I've discussed it at length with Peter, (He's a member of our wee monthly meeting of the minds up here in Edinburgh) and I have to say (a) he's a fascinating - and very knowledgeable bloke, and (b) the book is an interesting and easy read, despite Peter being an academic... you would expect something rather dry; but it's not.

Definitely recommended.

Drew
Simone
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Simone
Sounds interesting. I think I'll get it. Thanks for the recommendation.
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2039 Posts

Profile of jimtron
Does anyone know if Home had paranormal abilities, or if he was basically doing what mentalists and magicians do?
Drewmcadam
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland
1238 Posts

Profile of Drewmcadam
Quote:
On 2005-08-23 18:51, jimtron wrote:
Does anyone know if Home had paranormal abilities, or if he was basically doing what mentalists and magicians do?

That's what the book is all about!
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
I have met individuals who claim that their past relatives sat with Home and all that is written about him is in fact true. There are of course present day Homes still working away in private circles here in the UK. Mainly in Scotland I have to say.
Bobser.
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2039 Posts

Profile of jimtron
Bobser:

What do you mean by "all that is written about him is true?"

Drew: You mean, the book is about the issue of whether he used trickery vs. true paranormal power?
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Hi jimtron,
I guess all you need to do is look him up (Daniel Home, pronounced 'Hume')on the net.
The main story relating to him is the floating out of one window and in through another whilst 70 feet up in the air.
Obviously the people I referred to were talking more of his mediumistic skills as opposed to the physical phenomena that appeared to follow him around.
That's why I think I'll find Peter Lamont's book interesting. I used to be fascinated with the stories surrounding Home.
On pure mediumship there's a guy called Gordon Smith (a barber in Glasgow) who I hear has been blowing people away with some of his survival evidence'. He's known as the psychic barber and he too can be found on the net. I've had a couple 'magicy' type friends who informed me he amazed them.
Back to Peter Lamont, he's a very accomplished magician and Phd qualified in the study of our art. I 'think' he was possibly the first to do a Phd on the subject, but I'm sure Drew will be able to fill you in (information-wise as opposed to the Glasgow Kiss)!).

Bobser
Drewmcadam
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland
1238 Posts

Profile of Drewmcadam
No, what the book is about is.. Home. Just the facts - and a lot of them. Peter has taken a cold, calculating journalistic approach - which is the only thing you could do with Home. It is a fantastic story, with no personal views taken on it. Just the facts.

Drew
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2039 Posts

Profile of jimtron
Thanks guys.
Hexagon
View Profile
Regular user
London
198 Posts

Profile of Hexagon
He is a great author judging from his book about the Indian rope trick, that was really good...
tctahoe
View Profile
V.I.P.
Lakeland Fl.
733 Posts

Profile of tctahoe
Pete is a wonderful author as well as a great entertainer. I am fortunate enough to get to met up with him next month…and try to talk him into doing an article for Mind Over Magic…but he doesn’t know that yet…

You should do yourself a favor and check out his lecture notes, some very good material in there.
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2039 Posts

Profile of jimtron
Does anyone here have opinions about whether Home was a mentalist or someone with true paranormal powers?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The First Psychic by Peter Lamont (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL