The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Impromptu Magic with Paper (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Boxav8r
View Profile
New user
New England
58 Posts

Profile of Boxav8r
Here's an idea I use occasionally - torn and restored straw wrapper. It can be done without a thumb, but I prefer using one to ditch the bits and end "clean". Having the spectator tear the paper really kills.

In the oragami mode - it's easy to make a rose with a cocktail napkin. Made one for my wife at dinner with friends one night - and wasn't allowed to do anything else until I'd made one for the other 3 ladies with us! They all wanted one!

Pete
Will anyone who believes in telekenesis please raise my hand?
hkmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Colombia
108 Posts

Profile of hkmagic
Classic Ball Routine also found in Stars of Magic.
"May the Magic be with you"
montz
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of montz
I think that the best effect that you can do impromptu is Phil Goldstiens Psyhic Coffee Shop routine.

It was in a recent Genii, not too sure which one, maybe last months...
jmmagic
View Profile
New user
New Hampshire
70 Posts

Profile of jmmagic
Tom Mullica's The HELL Tear from his EXPERT IMPROMPTU MAGIC Tape VOL.17

It is a very strong piece of magic all done with 1 piece of paper and no set up.

Joe
Reg Rozee
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, Canada
592 Posts

Profile of Reg Rozee
How about "The Quick and the Dead", assuming you can find a pencil? Since it is impromptu, tearing the paper into strips instead of having billets waiting makes more sense than for a prepared show.

-Reg {*}
Reality is what doesn't go away when you stop believing in it. -Phillip K. Dick

Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes? -Chico Marx
MiNiM
View Profile
Regular user
New Zealand
111 Posts

Profile of MiNiM
Have a look at this site for instructions for making a paper napkin rose:

[outdated link]

It makes a good birthday party giveaway - make one for the birthday kid and tell him/her to give it to mum and say: "Thanks, mum, for a wonderful party!"

I've also used it while telling an old Chinese story, 'The Blue Rose'. You can find a precise of the story at: http://www.talesandmusic.de/index.htm

Just use a plain white napkin.

Bill
He asked me if I liked card tricks. I said "No." He did three. (W. Somerset Maugham)
Cacoal
View Profile
New user
Lewiston NY
70 Posts

Profile of Cacoal
JamesinLA,
I know it's been a while but here is a link to youtube of Slydini performing Paper balls over the head.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW6oQZc_c80&feature=related

I think you should be able to figure it out ;-P

Jason
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Now and then I find my self in the position usual when I am just doing magic for fun for people I ve just meet or like at a mates work do or party. You end up doing a bit of magic and people just want to talk or learn something and the 3 things I use are.

1, Origami (flowers for girls, dinosaurs for boys/ also look at stuff you can make from money)

2, Möbius strip from till rolls ( I do carry till roll on occasion it a great group activity)

3, Puzzles ( on paper verbal with body parts)

The other night I was in a bar with a friend and I showed him and his friend a finger ring and rope trick I am working on they was impressed. Then I guy from a table come other and asked if I could do a trick for him and his group so I did a couple of affects. As I chatted it turned out one of the girls in the group just got a promotion and her colleges were very happy for her, so origami being my new hobby at the moment I pulled out some paper and made a flower for her. Six flowers later and a crane I left with a round of drinks for me and my friends and a possible gig in a couple of weeks.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
There's an oldie where a cigar band is placed on your index finger and as you tap your wrist it jumps to your middle finger. The band jumps back and forth.
This can be done with a small, damp piece(s) of paper placed on the fingernail(s).
Anyone recall the trick's name?
Magic CPA
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of Magic CPA
I second Tom Mullica's Hell Tear. A great impromptu effect done solely with a piece of paper! I use 8 1/2 by 11 copy machine paper in my office.
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
I love impromptu paper magic. Here are just a few I like:

Passports to Heaven, Gardner's Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic.
Various Moebius strip stuff.
Cut and Run, Zenon's 100 Ways to Win a Ten Spot.
The Money Pit, ibid.
Jacob's Ladder (newspaper).
Origami.

If you have a coin or a pencil, the sky's the limit.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
mrs-misdirection
View Profile
New user
Salt lake City, Utah
20 Posts

Profile of mrs-misdirection
Hi airship
what are money pit and jacobs ladder?
Kathy
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1653 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
How about Richard Osterlind's torn and restored paper using a sticky note pad.
TrickyRicky
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Impromptu Magic with Paper (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL