The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Fundamente ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Nell
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
265 Posts

Profile of Nell
In the May 2005 issue of Magic, there was an excerpt from a German book 'Fundamente' (p.82). As I am also a theatre professional, I am highly interested in this book. I was wondering if anyone has this book, has read it, or just knows if it is available in English? Unfortunately, my German is not quite up to par to read an entire book. Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated.
"A trick may be very good...but...the illusionist must be better than the trick." -René Lavand
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
Nell,

First let me say, you're the first Nell I have ever met outside of my Aunt who was born in the 20's. I didn't think anybody else was named that...it was her middle name and the one she preferred. Anyway, I wasn't sure if you had ever met another Nell, but thought you might find it interesting that there is at least ONE other person...although she has passed on, so you may, in fact, be the only one.

In any event, I went on a search for your book and couldn't find it in English at all. However, if you google the the title, "Fundamente, Die Kunst Zauberei in Szene zu setzen" (Foundations to set the art of magic to scenes)and ask google to translate the page, you can get a pretty good description at some of the sites (google doesn't translate every site the same or perfectly, but it will give you an idea) of what is in the book.

And if you notice I spelled Zauberei with a Z and not an S as found in MAGIC as the Z is the correct spelling.

It looks like an interesting book, but my German is largely unused (and therefore really rusty).
Coram Deo
Nell
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
265 Posts

Profile of Nell
Thank you so much for trying to help! I'm afraid my German is nowhere near what it needs to be to get through the book, but perhaps that could be another incentive to learn more. I sent an email to sic!-Verlag asking about an English edition. This is the reply I received from Michael Sondermeyer:

"thanks for your mail; unfortunately we have not found an American
editor for our "Fundamente" book yet. We offered it to several magic
book editors but I think they all shrink back from the high printing
costs (the book is completely printed in four colors).
But judging from your mail in German you should be able to read the
German edition anyway ..."

haha...um, I wish I could. This makes me recall the time I was at Hampton Court Palace near London and purchased a guide book, looking at the title, and completely ignoring the little flag in the corner designating the language. I still have it, but alas...until I go spend a great deal of time in Germany, I'm mostly lost.

Anyhow, so now I guess I make my plea to the English language editors and publishers out there... Please?

As for Nell... My name is actually Danielle, but my niece dubbed me Nell when she was trying to say my name and my family, then my friends, and eventually their families picked it up. I really like it. Unfortunately, my last name is Nelson...and Nell Nelson sounds a little too reporter-esque for me... Time will tell, but I think as far as Magic and performance goes, Nell, it will be. I've always liked the name a lot, but I've never heard of anybody actually named Nell until you wrote, so thank you.
"A trick may be very good...but...the illusionist must be better than the trick." -René Lavand
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2005-08-25 08:42, Nell wrote:

I've always liked the name a lot, but I've never heard of anybody actually named Nell until you wrote, so thank you.

Too young to remember Nell Carter? LOL
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Someone hasn't heard of Nell Carter? Gimme a break.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2005-08-26 10:07, Larry Davidson wrote:
Gimme a break.

You sure deserve it.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Smile
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
After I posted that, I remembered Nell Carter; so now there are two. Not exactly a plethora of Nells.
Coram Deo
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
No, I couldn't think of any others.

Nell Nelson dosen't sound too bad though. Kind of reminds me of Dell O'Dell, and she was a great magician.
Nell
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
265 Posts

Profile of Nell
Indeed...

Yes, I do remember Nell Carter. I had forgotten, but you've pointed that out already. I've never known a Nell.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Fundamente ? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL