The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Bad Business (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mentalvic
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of mentalvic
About a week and a half ago, a dear friend of mine Charlotte, North Carolina sent me a forward of an e-mail posted to an e-group devoted to Charlotte-area actors, artists, and other such interesting types. The post described a need for magicians to perform in a cabaret-type act for the "Carolina Actor's Studio Theater." The way the post read, it sounded as if the group (C.A.S.T.) needed some folks familiar with grand illusion on the one-hand and close-up on the other (along with a mentalists.) The post also said that the performers filling these positions would probably not get paid but that they could earn tips from the audience.

Pay or no, I was eager to make the move from amateur to semi-pro so I leapt at the offer. My friends in Charlotte offered me a couch to crash on for a few days if I wanted to come up and audition. I readily accepted their generousity and called the C.A.S.T. office and spoke to a Mr. Simmons who set-up a date and time for me to audition: Monday, August 22 at 7:00 p.m. at their studio in up-town Charlotte. Mr. Simmons also confirmed this date, time, and location with me via e-mail.

I packed some props, got a head-shot made, worked on my sleights, wrote up a list of effects to present as my "routine," and then drove the 350 from my home in Alabama to Charlotte (a city with which I am, at best, unfamiliar.) I was excited and eager to gain the experience of working before such a potentially large audience.

I spent Sunday evening with my friends, catching up on old times. Monday afternoon, I called Mr. Simmons at both his cell number and the box-office number he gave me via e-mail. Both times I got nobody but voice mail machines, both times I left messages letting him know I would be at the theater at 7:00 p.m. for my audition.

I got in my car at 5:30 p.m. and made my way into up-town, got lost (as I knew I would, hence why I left at 5:30) and found the place at 6:30. I was early. I knocked on the door of the studio-- no reply. I figured maybe Mr. Simmons had gone to grab a bite to eat so I waited. At about 6:50 I decided to call Mr. Simmons' cell-phone and this time I got him.

At this point, Mr. Simmons informed me he was 30 minutes away and would not be coming in. He also attempted to dump the problem in my lap by saying that I did not call him-- when I had! I informed him I had left voice-mail on both of his lines and told me that he had received a "garbled" message on one but couldn't be sure if it was me. He then attempted to reschedule but was even more vague as to whether or not he would make this audition as he an appointment with his surgeon.

I told him that as I thought about it, I realized that I had wasted a trip to Charlotte and hung up. I was furious!

I would just like to make everyone aware of this guy, his outfit, and their lack of professionalism and courtesy. Simmons knew I was coming up from Alabama and still he brushed me off without so much as even a decent excuse!

I will be sending C.A.S.T. a bill for the gasoline I purchased to get to and from N.C. I don't expect it to be paid but I think that if this guy has any sense of ethics he'll feel deeply ashamed of himself for what he did.

Please, if you know any magicians in the Charlotte, N.C. area (or are one yourself) please, please, PLEASE do NOT support C.A.S.T. in their endeavors.

Thank you.
There she was, a dodgy old prune in a tiara, rushing at me waving a sword. Do all knights suffer this whilst being made?
Trickster
View Profile
New user
Southern California
51 Posts

Profile of Trickster
Sorry to hear about that Vic... Thanks for sharing the experience though...

RDS
--
"I may not be a smart man, I'm just good at what I do"...

Deuces Wild Entertainment
www.TheTrickster.net

Caveat Lector
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Caveat Lector
That sounds like a pretty crappy experience. But your first sign should have been the fact that there was no pay. If someone isn't paying you then they don't generally care about you. Shows that say you can work for tips or you will get lots of exposure are generally just looking for some free entertainment. The only thing you get out of doing free shows most of the time, is more free shows. But, if nothing else it has made you a bit smarter for next time, so that is worth something right there.
Corrupting the art of magic, one show at a time
www.underworldent.com
www.myspace.com/johnshawcomedymagic
mentalvic
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of mentalvic
Quote:
On 2005-08-25 13:43, Caveat Lector wrote:
But your first sign should have been the fact that there was no pay.

Should have... would have... could have.... Yeah.
There she was, a dodgy old prune in a tiara, rushing at me waving a sword. Do all knights suffer this whilst being made?
Bill Scarlett
View Profile
Veteran user
Vermont
366 Posts

Profile of Bill Scarlett
I've never heard of any legitimate theatre performance in which the audience tips the performers. And I'm not talking about buskers, I mean in a regular theatre.

Sorry for your experience, there are lots of sharks out there.
Lord of Illusion
View Profile
Veteran user
Has his enemies stuck on
310 Posts

Profile of Lord of Illusion
The only "theatre" performence that I know of that work for tips is Drag Queens (and I know a lot of 'em). Sorry to hear about your experiance. It sounds like an AFGA (Anothe F'ing Growth Experience).

Azrael
Edward Wolfgang Poe,

The Necromancer of the South
mentalvic
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of mentalvic
Quote:
On 2005-08-25 19:24, Bill Scarlett wrote:
I've never heard of any legitimate theatre performance in which the audience tips the performers. And I'm not talking about buskers, I mean in a regular theatre.

Sorry for your experience, there are lots of sharks out there.

Thanks, Bill. I'm taking it in stride (although I'm still furious about it) with the words of Hippocrates: "Life is short, art long, opportunity fleeting, experience treacherous, judgment difficult."

I think that the best thing I can do now is get the word out about these folks and let other magicians know that this scam isn't something they want to mess with.
mentalvic
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of mentalvic
Quote:
On 2005-08-25 19:48, Lord of Illusion wrote:
The only "theatre" performence that I know of that work for tips is Drag Queens (and I know a lot of 'em). Sorry to hear about your experiance. It sounds like an AFGA (Anothe F'ing Growth Experience).

Azrael

AFGA it is!
mentalvic
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of mentalvic
Quote:
On 2005-08-25 05:20, Trickster wrote:
Sorry to hear about that Vic... Thanks for sharing the experience though...

RDS

He, we live and we learn.

I'm also going to bring this up in a few of the MySpace magic communities, too. Keep the magical public informed about this scam.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Bad Business (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL