The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Show price (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TheFish727
View Profile
New user
Tarzana CA
96 Posts

Profile of TheFish727
I an 16 years old and I have just been asked to do a kids show. should I charge less that an adult since I am under age? Now keep in mind that because I am sixteen I do not concider myself inferior to an adult where skill is involved. but should I expect less pay because of my age?
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I would say no, your age is irrelivant. IF you have a good saleable show charge the average price of your area. Be sure you can deliver though.
Daniel Faith
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Youth is something you may have to overcome, but I don't see why you need to charge less, if that really is the ONLY concern.

Having said that, one way you might consider overcoming that one perceived drawback is to charge a little less in order to establish yourself. The fact that you were "just asked" implies that this is your first show, and that concerns me more than your age.

But remember, Copperfield was teaching magic to college kids when he was 16, and was doing magic theatre in Chicago at 18 so ... GO GET 'EM!

P.S. I wonder if Shirely Temple or Mickey Rooney ever charged less than adult actors when they were under 16?
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
The other thing I would say is you mentioned that you are "skilled." I am going to make an assumption here--and you know what they say about asumptions--so here goes: being "skilled" I am going to guess you meant you are technically proficient at magic. This does not mean you are ready to do a show or that you are "skilled" at entertaining. Entertainment is the main job. I'm not saying you're not a good performer or a good entertainer. I just wanted to make that distinction.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Tom Stevens
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
361 Posts

Profile of Tom Stevens
When starting out it's ok to charge less than others, whether you are young or old.

If you get a tip above your asking price then you might be getting a signal that they valued your show more than the quoted price. (That seems to be the case here in Australia where tipping is not a common occurance)
TheFish727
View Profile
New user
Tarzana CA
96 Posts

Profile of TheFish727
Thank you very much. yes this is my fist childrens show and a was planning on asking for less until I feel I have become comfortable with the kids. I have done close up shows and the people seem to have been entertained and I have gotten great remarks after but I don't know if the kids will find me entertaining. I have a 7 year old neice and she allways wants me to show he something. she finds me entertaining and I hope the rest of the kids will too.
Billy Whizz
View Profile
Special user
Plymouth, UK
576 Posts

Profile of Billy Whizz
I would forget about what to charge because of your age, that makes no difference. It's the quality of your show that counts. If it's your first show, then you shouldn't really go out charging the same as your professional magicians in your area as your show won't be perfected with the quality it needs for high fees. I would sugest charging enough at the moment to cover all costs and 50% of the going rate. Every six months increase it by another 5% until you reach the level your confortable with.

Good luck, I hope you've practiced it loads, just relax and enjoy the experience. Smile

Billy
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I would also recommend Silly Billy's book if you want to continue with children shows. Good luck and have fun.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Gideon Sylvan
View Profile
Special user
Deerfield, IL
541 Posts

Profile of Gideon Sylvan
I charge $100 for 30 minutes of magic and balloons for all kids. By the way I'm turning 16 in a month. If you don't do a lot of kid shows, don't charge a lot.
You know you are a magician when you have boxes full of lecture notes you have never read, but still are excited about going out and buying more.

www.gideonsylvan.com
MagicDog
View Profile
Regular user
Michigan
174 Posts

Profile of MagicDog
I charge $125.00 for a 30 minute show, when most in my area are charging $150 to $175.00. I am finding that after the show's that people are writing their checks out for more then my asking price, which is nice.
Make Everyday Magical
Smoke & Mirrors
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of Smoke & Mirrors
Fish, get lots of information AFTER the show. Find out if the customer thought it was worth every penny. Find out what you can improve. Depending on the results, charge more on your next show. Find out the worth, then keep going up till you find the perfect point. You'll never know if your right or wrong until you ask the guy who pays for it all!

BTW I'm still a teen (barely) and have charged as much as $300 for a 35 minute Bday show. And they loved it. I might go up on the next one?

Good luck!
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
This is why I include a sase and a simple multiple choice evluation form in my thank you kits I give to the client after every show. It means a lot to them to receive a nice gift and a thank you letter and they can fill out the form at their convenience. It is a great way to see how you are doing and to also gain some great quotes you can use in your promotions.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Show price (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL