The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Real 'Magic' Impromptu (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1831 Posts

Profile of teejay
IMVHO
AGAIN IMVHO
A lot of the effects talked about in this section are more impromptu trickiness and cleverness than magic
Most debates on the subject concentrate on whether an effect is really impromptu
I would like to hear peoples opinions on Impromptu meaning something unexpected or surprising happens without a lot of 'get ready' being SEEN by the SPECTATOR
Three of my favourites are
Lennart Green's Top Shot
Greg Wilson's Pen Work
Troy Hooser holds a coin in French Drop and turns his hand over into a finger palm
(Ramsey Subtlety ?) (Vol 3)
What is your favourite bit of impromptu that is really magical?
Cheers
TJ Smile
Matt Morell
View Profile
Loyal user
Norwich, CT.
257 Posts

Profile of Matt Morell
Chevrie's Finger thru Bill is pretty cool.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2005-08-28 05:58, teejay wrote:
IMVHO
AGAIN IMVHO
A lot of the effects talked about in this section are more impromptu trickiness and cleverness than magic
Most debates on the subject concentrate on whether an effect is really impromptu
I would like to hear peoples opinions on Impromptu meaning something unexpected or surprising happens without a lot of 'get ready' being SEEN by the SPECTATOR
Three of my favourites are
Lennart Green's Top Shot
Greg Wilson's Pen Work
Troy Hooser holds a coin in French Drop and turns his hand over into a finger palm
(Ramsey Subtlety ?) (Vol 3)
What is your favourite bit of impromptu that is really magical?
Cheers
TJ Smile

This has always been a fine point with me too. Is it defined as "impromptu" if it is 100% on the spot , no prep., or can you also call it impromptu if it only APPEARS that way to the spec, who may not be aware of your prep, so it ends up looking like you just performed on the spot.

In other words, are you a purist in your definition, or do you allow a little room for some concessions?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1831 Posts

Profile of teejay
Quote:
On 2005-08-28 10:04, daffydoug wrote:
This has always been a fine point with me too. Is it defined as "impromptu" if it is 100% on the spot , no prep., or can you also call it impromptu if it only APPEARS that way to the spec, who may not be aware of your prep, so it ends up looking like you just performed on the spot.
In other words, are you a purist in your definition, or do you allow a little room for some concessions?

You are absolutely right
I see from your footnote where you are coming from LOL
What I was looking for was some fun
AND perhaps some new to me (or old) efffects that have that touch of real magic about them
IMVHO
A card manipulator shows his hand empty back and front then produces card after card at his fingertips
The spectator is amazed but it seems impromptu to him
Immediacy and WOW factors are more important than strict definitions for the sake of this thread LOL
TJ
:)
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Here are some that are totally impromptu and others that appear impromptu and get a good reactions for me:

"Ghost Bills" - Mayne.
"Winged Silver" w/ quarters and sometimes a [ - Roth.
"Cigarama" - Garcia/Chanin.

Unfortunately, what seems magical to one person, and gets that WOW, may not with another.
miky
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of miky
Interesting you should mention Ghost Bills, Jaz. Maybe it's the way I do it, but I have never got much of a WOW for this effect. I get a much stronger response with a pen or pencil through a bill rather than a bill through a bill.

The best totally impromptu pen or pencil through bill effects are Misleading Misled and Real Pen-etration by Alan Rorrison -- they're impromptu versions of the two phases in Timothy Wenk's Misled. Dan Harlan's pencil through bill is also good if spectators are all around you.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2005-08-28 12:10, Jaz wrote:
Here are some that are totally impromptu and others that appear impromptu and get a good reactions for me:

"Ghost Bills" - Mayne.
"Winged Silver" w/ quarters and sometimes a [ - Roth.
"Cigarama" - Garcia/Chanin.

Unfortunately, what seems magical to one person, and gets that WOW, may not with another.

And that is the rub. It's unpredictable..like the times I've done some theatre productions. We do the play the same way EVERY night...and some times they laugh at certain lines...and the next night a diferent audience does NOT laugh at those lines.

You just have no way of predicting what will fly from night to night, although you wish to god you could. Same thing with amazement. What amazes one will not neccesarily amaze another.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Milky,

You're right about "Ghost Bills". Those I've done it for often giggle rather than stepping back with awe, but that's cool too.

You mention impromptu pen/pencil thru borrowed bill.
This is one I also do, w/ a rip at the end, and get stunned responses (sometimes).
Others are a Coin to Pen Cap routine, Traveling Cash and Hanging Coins w/ quarters.

I've had people get weirded out doing simple effects like having a quarter jump from hand to hand, basic cigarette vanishes and a variation of Bobo's "Just Pretend".

At a wedding reception I was just fooling around w/ an ITR, no act, just goofing.
A lady saw a match book float up from the table, pushed her chair back w/ mouth and eyes wide open yelling, "Oh my God!". If her husband didn't catch her she would have fell off the chair.

Daff,
It often takes just one good audience member to set everyone else off.
Best,
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
You mean like David or John on the L&l shoots?
mc_magi
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
949 Posts

Profile of mc_magi
You know, there was a discussion on this,
the REAL impromptu, the 100% purist real impromptu, is doing it without any set routine work, no preparation before. non?
so you'd be basically ad libbing.
. i.e. there is no "real" impromptu as we speak..
but that's just IMO, and there IS a definite category called impromptu.. its just.. not really all that impromptu. ? .. haha
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1937 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Memory work?
Peace,
Parson
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Quote:
On 2005-08-28 05:58, teejay wrote:
(Ramsey Subtlety ?)

What you are describing is Geoff Latta's "French Pop" vanish. He (Geoff) describes the correct way to do it on the LVMI convention video.
ofrmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
202 Posts

Profile of ofrmagic
Sinful
ofrmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
202 Posts

Profile of ofrmagic
Sinful
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Real 'Magic' Impromptu (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL