The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Balls for Cups and Balls Routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

flimnar
View Profile
Special user
Salt Lake
577 Posts

Profile of flimnar
I am looking to buy some additional crocheted balls (just some 1") but am having a little difficulty finding a source online. I need them to be a color other than red. Morrissey in Canada carries some balls--any other sources? Maybe my search skills are off--this has been harder than expected!

Thanks--

Flimnar
"This one goes to eleven..." Nigel Tufnel
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Morrissey has them in many different colors. They are very fast to deliver.

Otherwise, check with Brett Sherwood. Also check with Jim Riser. Links are at the cups and balls museum. I know how you hate to visit that web site.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
flimnar
View Profile
Special user
Salt Lake
577 Posts

Profile of flimnar
It is interesting (and sobering) to visit the Museum--thanks for sharing it online. I'm not a very good window shopper--when I see something really interesting, I want to buy it. A dangerous impulse when one is interested in magic......

Just curious--what kind of balls do you use?

Thanks again for the information.

Flimnar
"This one goes to eleven..." Nigel Tufnel
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The kind of balls I use depends on the cups. The kind I like are the Eric Evans balls, and the mini baseballs.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
I think Dave Vanvranken (sp?) are selling monkey fist balls. Try sending him a PM here in the Café.
"Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom." - Anonymous
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
You spelled my name right! I'm impressed.

He was specifically looking for crocheted balls, but yes if you want leather monkey fists, come by and take a look.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Flimnar -- Take a look at Hank Lee's website, he carries the Morrissey crotcheted balls, and I believe they are also available in white or multi-color. See http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/customer/pr......p;page=1 They also carry them in 3/4" size as well. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
940 Posts

Profile of cfrye
The 3/4" Morrissey balls are too small for good visibility, and the 1 1/4" balls are closer to 1 3/8" and just a touch too big for me to hide easily. Stevens Magic Emporium ( http://www.stevensmagic.com ) just received a shipment of 1" crocheted white balls that might suit your purpose. They run $20 a set, shipping included, and are very high quality. If you decide to order these balls and use them, order two sets; I waited on a back order for four months.

If you don't have any trouble performing sleights with 1 3/8" balls, the Morrissey balls are absolutely the best value for the money. Not to mention you'd be supporting a terrific company.

Curt
Euangelion
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of Euangelion
These are the felt balls I am currently making.

They are 100% felt.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v430/i......lors.gif

I will allow others to comment on them but I have beeen receiving very positive feed from everyone who has seen them. The colors above are the standard color selection.

They can be made to any size necessary. They can be made cheaper with a wooden plug or heavier with a lead plug. However, the consistantly best response is to the all felt balls after people have had time to adjust to them.

Another look at the natural colors with final load balls for comparison:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v430/i......c731.gif
Bill Esborn

"Lutefisk: the piece of cod that passes all understanding."
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I have a set of the blue ones. They are very nice and well made. They feel good in the hands.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Euangelion
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of Euangelion
It is the feel that is addictive Bill. Spongey and yet firm at the same time. Besides C & B a couple of guys are playing with them for Three-ball routines like Roth's.
Bill Esborn

chrisrkline
View Profile
Special user
Little Rock
965 Posts

Profile of chrisrkline
How easy is it to classic palm a felt ball, lets say compared to monkey fist (which I do not have,) Mike Roger's baseballs (which are easy, but almost too sticky) or ordinary crocheted balls?
Chris
Euangelion
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of Euangelion
That I will say depends on your hands and technique. Dry hands are tough for any palming, but with any standard lotion like Vernon's Touch, Garcia's, etc. you should be fine. Of Course, it is impossible to do as spread a CP as you can with a flat edge coin but that is geometry.
Bill Esborn

Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
Quote:
On 2005-08-30 02:44, Dave VanVranken wrote:
You spelled my name right! I'm impressed.

Thanks Dave! I got a headache trying to figure out the right spelling! Smile
"Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom." - Anonymous
MinnesotaChef
View Profile
Regular user
Minneapolis,MN
176 Posts

Profile of MinnesotaChef
I make felt covered balls myself, and they do tend to grow on you after a while. They take some time to break in, but once they do I think they offer the palming grip of knitted balls and the stability/ weight of solid core balls. The colors and sizes are almost limitless.
"Great restaurants are, of course, nothing but brothels.There is no point in going into them if one intends to keep one's belt buckled."- Fredric Raphael
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I've been using felt balls for a couple of years now (Payne from the Café got me started) and I think they are great. Especially wonderful for the ren faire look, with leather cups and chop cups, or just to have something unique.

Plus you can have matching load balls any size you wish. I've made them as large as baseballs before.

Using a solid core saves a lot of time and effort.

I have a feeling I'm going to try out DaveV's monkeyfist balls to see how I like those.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Check with RNT II. They have balls in a wide variety of sizes. I use their 1 1/2" white, crocheted balls for my chop cup routine. They also stock sets for C&B.
Euangelion
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of Euangelion
As of today I mastered a method to create adjustable felt chop balls. The method is simple and allows me a range of sizes. I can provide them from .9 to 1.5" in each of my four standard colors.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v430/i......lors.gif
Bill Esborn

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Balls for Cups and Balls Routine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL